Stranded - need knock sensor
08-06-2020, (Subject: Stranded - need knock sensor ) 
Stranded - need knock sensor
Hi, my driver is stranded in Clarkston Michigan. We are need of a knock sensor but everyone is out. Anyone have one or a truck that has one? 2012 Peterbilt
replyreply
RE: Stranded - need knock sensor
Knock sensor? Or NOx sensor? Which one, input or output (I think they come with different wiring harnesses) And why are you stranded because of it? Also, what year/model truck and engine (870/871/2250/2350/x15) - different parts for different engines and even different exhaust configurations.

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply
Even with a bad NOx sensor you should still be able to move the truck, although if it's been ignored long enough it might be derated all the way down to 5mph or something. You should have had plenty of less severe warnings long before you get to that point. Regardless you may want to check the electrical connections, clean up any corrosion, make sure no loose or broken wires and check all your vehicle grounds.

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Marq123
(08-06-2020 )JimT Wrote:  Even with a bad NOx sensor you should still be able to move the truck, although if it's been ignored long enough it might be derated all the way down to 5mph or something. You should have had plenty of less severe warnings long before you get to that point. Regardless you may want to check the electrical connections, clean up any corrosion, make sure no loose or broken wires and check all your vehicle grounds.

Not sure the engine but its a 2012 peterbilt red cummins

Driver woke up to a red regen light (couldnt force regen). Called company who regened truck but computer is saying the NOx sendor is bad. Mechanic said he can try to clean it out but it womt last but a few minutes before it breaks down again.
replyreply
(08-06-2020 )JimT Wrote:  Even with a bad NOx sensor you should still be able to move the truck, although if it's been ignored long enough it might be derated all the way down to 5mph or something. You should have had plenty of less severe warnings long before you get to that point. Regardless you may want to check the electrical connections, clean up any corrosion, make sure no loose or broken wires and check all your vehicle grounds.

Outlet knock sensor, ISX15 engine
replyreply
What code(s) do you have? Solution will depend on the code. NOx sensors don't usually just die randomly, either it's been failing for a while and ignored or something else is the underlying cause.

A 2012 Pete is almost certainly a cm2250.

replyreply
these engines dont just stop unless something catastrophic happens sounds like its time for a new driver who tells you the truck has a problem... or if he did then well.....karma

User's Signature: 2010 Lonestar - CM871 - 13sp - 3.70s, 2016 T680 - cm2350 - 13sp - 3.36s - skateboarder
replyreply
08-07-2020, (Subject: Stranded - need knock sensor ) 
someone can't just idle the crap out of these emissions trucks then do a forced regen every time they turn around to make up for it. Sounds like that may be whats happening with it (just stating this as an FYI in case ppl don't know). -- It weakens the DPF every time you force regen them and after a while it starts catching up to it. -- an APU is your friend when it comes to emissions trucks and having to stay cool in hot weather.

If you need a NOx sensor, then register your truck on quickserv and find the exact part# you need ... call around and if you have to get it from far away, just over-night fedex or UPS it.

-- Hopefully your driver is able to replace the sensor. If your driver is unable to replace the sensor or troubleshoot it to some basic degree on their own,... well that is all part of the extra costs associated with having hired drivers in the truck. hopefully your business plan accounts for all that.

lastly, like others have said,.. you need to know the exact cummins fault code(s) the engine is complaining about before making a bunch of guesses.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
08-09-2020, (Subject: Stranded - need knock sensor ) 
Thank you everyone for the advice. We took the truck to Assured Truck Repair in Waterford MI. For $1160 They limped the truck to the shop, they drove 2hrs round trip to get us a part, the got our driver a room, they picked up and took our driver to the hotel, and they replaced the outlet NOx sensor then did a 1.5hr forced regen. Its been 3 days with no issues! The hotel was $75 for one night.

This truck had 900k mikes on it when i got it 2 weeks ago.

This is my first time using a site like this so I apologize for any late responses but i REALLY APPRECIATE the help and advice.

When the truck gets back to San Antonio Texas we are going to hopefully find a good me hsnic to do one of those Rawze inspections
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Mav

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.