Another starting circuit question
08-10-2020, (Subject: Another starting circuit question ) 
Another starting circuit question
Hello all, 2012 Volvo CM2250 780K. When I turn the ignition key I get a 1-2 second delay then the starter cranks the truck fast just like normal. It does not seem to be affected at all by temperature. If it had always been that way it wouldn’t worry me but this is new to the last few months.
What I have already done: cleaned all fuses, relays, and their sockets, inside box and outside box) Cleaned all battery terminals and posts, chassis grounds, and connections on the starter.
So, I am thinking it is either the ignition key switch itself, a bad spot somewhere in a cable that I cannot see, or the starter itself. Or lastly some other weird electronic Volvo f@$kstickery, where the start signal circuit routes through some other Volvo component?

Has anyone else experienced this and found the remedy? Volvo or not any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks

User's Signature: Anti-seize EVERYTHING, Except injectors...Use Petroleum Jelly!!!
replyreply
RE: Another starting circuit question
Have you tested each battery?

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JMBT
Master switch under cab skirt?
replyreply
It goes from ignition lock to starter solenoid on firewall then to starter (Volvo)

User's Signature: One word not enough two words to much to say
replyreply
I thought the Volvo had a start relay. I know freightliners use a relay between the key and solenoid. Possible that the contacts are burnt on the relay... if you have one.
replyreply
definitely starter relay if equipped, do you also have to turn the key a few times as well before it'll start?
replyreply
Thanks for all the great ideas guys.

JimT: no I have not load tested each battery yet, I will do that.

Snailexpress: I got rid of the master battery disconnect a few years back when it failed.

Baco74: I am not familiar with the solenoid on the firewall. Inside under dash or outside?

Nilao: are you talking about the large one zip tied to the main wire harness by the ECM?
Or is there another one? I pulled that one cleaned all the terminals and socket., also tested it for high resistance and continuity in both positions.

Marek4792: No, I only have to turn the key one time. Are you talking about the relay outside near the ECM or a different one?

User's Signature: Anti-seize EVERYTHING, Except injectors...Use Petroleum Jelly!!!
replyreply
(08-10-2020 )JMBT Wrote:  Marek4792: No, I only have to turn the key one time. Are you talking about the relay outside near the ECM or a different one?
the one Baco74 is referring to
replyreply
08-11-2020, (Subject: Another starting circuit question ) 
engine bay, driver side under brake cylinder.

User's Signature: One word not enough two words to much to say
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.