bought a 2017 kw w900l
08-11-2020, (Subject: bought a 2017 kw w900l ) 
bought a 2017 kw w900l
First off i'd like to say hello to everyone, so hello.

I have been driving for 16 years now, been a o/op for about a year and a half, and this is the 3rd truck i've bought. My first 2 trucks we're daycabs, a 07 columbia, and a 14 volvo vnm, i am a local gas hauler and have recently decided to branch out some.

My new (to me) truck is a 2017 Kw W900l with isx15 500hp 1800tq, 18spd, 3.25 rears (bleh), 60" mid roof with 379k on the clock, and all factory intact equipment. I found this forum a while back when i was looking at another isx equipped truck, and i've been reading and learning about these engines, but naturally i have some questions, for clarification about my particular truck.

First off, with the mileage that's on my truck what would you recommend i go ahead and do as preventative maintenance, assuming that i know nothing about previous maintenance history other than i know its just out of warranty and its never had any major repairs at the dealership.

Does the fuel pump on this year of truck require the updated pistons and rebuild?

I am going to buy a diagnostic tool for it, would you recommend i buy a genuine nexiq usb link2 or can i get by with a knock off cummins inline tool (i am going to want to have some ecm work done at a later date) and what version of insite is best to use with this year model engine, and is calterm something that i may need later.

Anything else anybody can recommend that might put me ahead of the game?

here are the specs of my engine from cummins quickserve.

CONFIGURATIONS AND MODEL NAMES
EPA Model Name GCEXH0912XAU
Marketing Engine Configuration # D103012BB61
Marketing Model Name ISX15 500
Service Model Name ISX15 CM2350 X101
Technical Engine Configuration # D103012BX03
ENGINE BUILD DETAILS
Build Date 2016-04-22T00:00:00Z
Build Plant JEP - JAMESTOWN ENGINE PLANT
CPL # 4587
Shop Order SO45686
Warranty Start Date 2016-05-12T00:00:00Z
TECHNICAL SPECIFICATION DETAILS
ECM Code EF10376
Fuel Pump Part # 4359489
Fuel Pump Calibration P992

School me.

Thanks in advance fellas
replyreply
RE: bought a 2017 kw w900l
Knock off reader is fine, it should do all you need to do.

Rebuild the fuel pump, they still grenade.

EGR Tuneup, Intake Manifold Pressure Sensor, Exhaust Back Pressure Sensor, Crankcase Breather Element, you need to inspect, and if the old filter element filter is installed, purchase the new install and forget maintenance free filter cartridge.

SCR Doser, it is under the floorboard near shifter, inspect for leaks. Service SCR system. There may be a spin on urea filter in there somewhere too, change that out.

Exhaust fuel doser, I would replace if the paint on it has not been disturbed. Unless you plan on fixing the issue, then don't worry about it. If you go to Canada, some Eastern states and or California, you may want to keep the system intact.

Run the overhead. Inspect cam and rollers.

Bake and de-ash cans.

If keeping emissions, install the Amsoil remote filter system to clean the soot out of the oil.

Swap the gears in the rear end... That is just off the top of my head.

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply
ok, well, where to start?

what would you consider the most important on that list? and yes i do plan on doing a de-mandate, but keeping the egr, it seems like i read on here that you should on these engines. Unless of course that is untrue and proper tuning can be achieved that won't cause damage at a later date. Would really like to do away with both, but do it the right way.

Would you buy the knock off cummins inline on ebay or one of the several knockoff nexiq usb links? Do they have any issues?
replyreply
Fuel pump, overhead and EGR tuneup, along with the crankcase filter. The demandate is accomplished via software, other than the cans. The NexQ knockoffs do not work, either spend the money on a real one or get a knock off Inline reader off of eBay. Yes, you can leave the emissions intact and tune the motor to run more efficient. May be something you need to look at. If you haul heavy, you need to change out that rear end, that 18 speed will only go so far.

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply
#1 - EGR tune-up, replace all recommended sensors. IMAP, Exhaust Gas Pres. sensor, etc.

#2 - get an inline-6 adatper, fleebay, and laptop. Get that going ASAP. Can;t work on it if ya can;t see what its crying about.

#3 - Invest in a set of rears that are not going to kill that engine .. 3.25's are nothing but engine killing rears. Thing has likely been lugged to death below 1500 already most its lifge... that is scary all in itself. Engine won;t last 600k miles with those horrible rears. - Puit some 3.79's in it or 3.90's if you want it to last and also go up hilles worth a damn.

#4 - Assuminig for a moment u live in a country that allows such mods -- de-mandate it .. MM program is only way to go, done by one of the top members here, or do it yourself with a little help once u have the adapter. -- leave everything hanging on the side of the engine and hollow out everything ... do it right,.. all cans hollowed + scr hollowed out, egr blocked off,.. the whole nine yards... stop that thing from eating its own waste.

#5 -- replace the guts of the fuel pump at 400k miles (or equivalent hours). u did not mention hours on engine that I can see. 380k miles might be a million miles of wear if someone PTO'd or idled the crap out of it .. what are the hours?

#6 -- learn to drive the damn thing above 1500+ rpm when doing any kind of pulling to make the engine last as long as possible.. ISX hate pulling hard below 1500rpm.. they like to beat up on the liners down in the 1300 and below range..,. again, goes back to some moron putting terrible rears in that thing in a dumba#lrsse attempt to limit HP output, lu the crap out of it, in exchange for a bit of fuel saving.

#7 - go thru the rest of the truck, replace oil in all gearboxes, replace power steering fluid and filter, re-torque all wheel bearings, shocks, and a whole slew of stuff.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: cheepjeep85
(08-11-2020 )Waterloo Wrote:  Fuel pump, overhead and EGR tuneup, along with the crankcase filter. The demandate is accomplished via software, other than the cans. The NexQ knockoffs do not work, either spend the money on a real one or get a knock off Inline reader off of eBay. Yes, you can leave the emissions intact and tune the motor to run more efficient. May be something you need to look at. If you haul heavy, you need to change out that rear end, that 18 speed will only go so far.

So i'll do the fuel pump update first then, i'll make that a priority in the next week or so. I had already been looking at re-gearing the truck to 3:70's that should put me at just under 1500 rpm at 70mph in 8 over, as it is in 8 direct at 70 mph that is around the 1450-1500 range, so i can get by with that until funds permit a regear. No i do not do heavy haul, i pull tankers, and am running around empty quite often. I also assume that the overhead has probably never been ran on it, i can do that free so that is right up there on the get it done now list. thank you for your time and answers.
replyreply
(08-11-2020 )Marajin Wrote:  #1 - EGR tune-up, replace all recommended sensors. IMAP, Exhaust Gas Pres. sensor, etc.

#2 - get an inline-6 adatper, fleebay, and laptop. Get that going ASAP. Can;t work on it if ya can;t see what its crying about.

#3 - Invest in a set of rears that are not going to kill that engine .. 3.25's are nothing but engine killing rears. Thing has likely been lugged to death below 1500 already most its lifge... that is scary all in itself. Engine won;t last 600k miles with those horrible rears. - Puit some 3.79's in it or 3.90's if you want it to last and also go up hilles worth a damn.

#4 - Assuminig for a moment u live in a country that allows such mods -- de-mandate it .. MM program is only way to go, done by one of the top members here, or do it yourself with a little help once u have the adapter. -- leave everything hanging on the side of the engine and hollow out everything ... do it right,.. all cans hollowed + scr hollowed out, egr blocked off,.. the whole nine yards... stop that thing from eating its own waste.

#5 -- replace the guts of the fuel pump at 400k miles (or equivalent hours). u did not mention hours on engine that I can see. 380k miles might be a million miles of wear if someone PTO'd or idled the crap out of it .. what are the hours?

#6 -- learn to drive the damn thing above 1500+ rpm when doing any kind of pulling to make the engine last as long as possible.. ISX hate pulling hard below 1500rpm.. they like to beat up on the liners down in the 1300 and below range..,. again, goes back to some moron putting terrible rears in that thing in a dumba#lrsse attempt to limit HP output, lu the crap out of it, in exchange for a bit of fuel saving.

#7 - go thru the rest of the truck, replace oil in all gearboxes, replace power steering fluid and filter, re-torque all wheel bearings, shocks, and a whole slew of stuff.
My original intention was to eventually de-mandate the engine, as of now there are no problems with it, but i've been around long enough to know they're ticking time bombs....all of them. If i'm going to do a full demandate, then i really don't want to spend the money on a egr tune up.

I come from detroits, and a volvo with 4:30 rears and a 18spd most recently, i'm fully aware of how to use the upper rpm range of a engine lol. Funds don't permit a re-gear right now.

Is there anything else that i might could use the nexiq usb link for without having to buy a crap load of expensive software? if not, then yeah i'm going the knockoff inline route. I am aware software sharing isn't permitted, but i've read that insite and instructions to crack it can be found if you know where to look on the internet, anybody care to point me in the right directions via pm, i'm also still not sure which version i even need to work with my truck. If it matters i have a windows 10 laptop, i've read that some versions play better with windows 7 and some with windows 10. Thanks folks for all of the help.
replyreply
I just ordered the inline 6 adapter from ebay should be here by the middle of next week. Would you guys recommend buying a separate pc to keep and run insite on? I've been looking at dell refurb rugged tablet pc on amazon for this purpose.
replyreply
(08-11-2020 )cheepjeep85 Wrote:  I just ordered the inline 6 adapter from ebay should be here by the middle of next week. Would you guys recommend buying a separate pc to keep and run insite on? I've been looking at dell refurb rugged tablet pc on amazon for this purpose.

Most guys just buy an inexpensive laptop and keep it off the internet and dedicate it to the truck, as long as it has a USB plug you are good. I would get something with an SSD hard drive, 128GB should be big enough, as Insite does not need much to run, just a copy of windows... And, you don't even have to register windows anymore, so you can grab a clean copy from Microsoft off the internet for free and use it without registering it, for FREE. I will send you some links that will help...

Me, I use my MacBook Air with a partitioned hard drive. I keep it off line, as windows is so prone to bugs and what not. I seem to use my setup on other folks equipment more so than on mine. I carry it in the truck with me all of the time, like everyone has said on here a million times, don't leave home without your Inline reader and laptop. You are the warranty station.

PM Sent...

replyreply
 Thanks given by: cheepjeep85

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.