Rocker oiling
08-15-2020, (Subject: Rocker oiling ) 
Rocker oiling
Does this look right seems my intake rockers don't get any oil except for a little on cyl 1 and 3 just got done with overhead and I guess need to turn turbo idle tables down got egr piping off intake and I can float my cell phone at idle...

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

User's Signature: 2010 Lonestar - CM871 - 13sp - 3.70s, 2016 T680 - cm2350 - 13sp - 3.36s - skateboarder
replyreply
RE: Rocker oiling
How long did you let it run. I would expect a good flow of oil. But I haven't ran one with valve cover off.

User's Signature: 2015 Kenworth T660
replyreply
(08-15-2020 )Mattman Wrote:  How long did you let it run. I would expect a good flow of oil. But I haven't ran one with valve cover off.

I haven't run mine without the cover for a long time, but giving it enough time to run matters if I remember. They don't all flood at once, at least mine didn't? Some are closer to ports than others and it takes a little longer for the flow to get there.
replyreply
I just did this on my 871, and it was flowing by the time I could walk around the door after hitting the key.

On mine, I noticed the back lobes were getting splash lubed by the oil just sitting in the head. The front got none, due to the tilt of the engine.

I replaced 2 intake rocker arms I replaced in 2017. One lobe was starting to put again after replacing the cam 200k miles ago. Both rocker arms I replaced were 2 I had replaced previously after I took a closer look due to a members advice...the axles for the roller followers were hollow...the originals were solid and look to be brass...the 2 hollow axle rockers I had replaced didn't have oil passages drilled under the axle. The rear didn't fail because it was far enough back to dip the lobe into standing oil. The front was starved and just started to go. I'm convinced it lasted that long due to the gear oil.

If you have any hollow axle rocker arms circa 2017, they might be worth a look while you are digging around. Oil supply to the lobe should be pretty obvious, even at idle. Also worth checking to make sure your oil passages in the rockers aren't plugged.

User's Signature: 2010 T2000, CM871, 13spd, 977k, tanker yanker
Overhauled @ 927k
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , Signature620 , Nostalgic
08-16-2020, (Subject: Rocker oiling ) 
Ran for bit and intake rockers just go splashed by the flood coming from the exhaust rockers

User's Signature: 2010 Lonestar - CM871 - 13sp - 3.70s, 2016 T680 - cm2350 - 13sp - 3.36s - skateboarder
replyreply
You could try removing the rockers to flush out their oil passages with brake cleaner and compressed air. Reassemble and check the results.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
Dang Lonestar you are in one of those what do you do moments. Obviously it has been getting oil from somewheres or the cam and rollers would be long gone.

I would be nervous to run it without seeing oil flow. I would probably try the cleaning of the holes in the rockers.

User's Signature: 2015 Kenworth T660
replyreply
Some people will set the intake rockers to 0.015" instead of 0.014" for better oil flow to the crossheads. I have not seen any measurable negative effects from doing this by anyone who has done this so far.

My own truck has oil flowing from all injectors to the crossheads. Not a lot of oil on some of them, but nothing is running dry. I also have the oil pump shimmed though too, oil pressure is 46~ish psi at idle when cold and about 28~ish when fully warm.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.