Fuel consumption mpg value on dash jumping up and down
08-16-2020, (Subject: Fuel consumption mpg value on dash jumping up and down ) 
Fuel consumption mpg value on dash jumping up and down
Hello everyone. Volvo VNL780 Cummins ISX 15 CM2350. 490K miles. Fuel consumption value mpg on dash jumping up and down no matter if you driving downhill or flat road. Value can go up to 1 mpg. For example if going on flat road pedal or cruise mpg value will jump 5.9-6.3-5.8-6.2-6.9-6.3. I thought it may be fuel pressure sensor on the rail but checked reading on the other truck and reading are the same. Could it be injectors or anything else? How is this value (mpg on dash) being calculated? Truck starts fine - do not experience long cranking. Fuel miles not great but ok. Its been always getting 6.3. Didn't see any bubbles in Davco filter, but still need to check in return line. There is Injector test in Insite 8.3 which passed ok. Any suggestions?
replyreply
RE: Fuel consumption mpg value on dash jumping up and down
I guess you did not like my answer... LOL!

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply
(08-16-2020 )srsttrans Wrote:  Hello everyone. Volvo VNL780 Cummins ISX 15 CM2350. 490K miles. Fuel consumption value mpg on dash jumping up and down no matter if you driving downhill or flat road. Value can go up to 1 mpg. For example if going on flat road pedal or cruise mpg value will jump 5.9-6.3-5.8-6.2-6.9-6.3. I thought it may be fuel pressure sensor on the rail but checked reading on the other truck and reading are the same. Could it be injectors or anything else? How is this value (mpg on dash) being calculated? Truck starts fine - do not experience long cranking. Fuel miles not great but ok. Its been always getting 6.3. Didn't see any bubbles in Davco filter, but still need to check in return line. There is Injector test in Insite 8.3 which passed ok. Any suggestions?

Welcome to club srsttrans.
Do you have gal/hours readings, when truck idling steady or it jumping too?
I have same problem for years. Sensors, pump, injectors where changed, doesn't help.
Sometime it's cleared by itself. Engine running very smooth when its happens.
I'll PM you.
replyreply
(08-16-2020 )Waterloo Wrote:  I guess you did not like my answer... LOL!

Sorry I didn't see an answer. I posted first at KW & Pete but since its Volvo witCummins I reposted it in different section.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
(08-16-2020 )snailexpress Wrote:  
(08-16-2020 )srsttrans Wrote:  Hello everyone. Volvo VNL780 Cummins ISX 15 CM2350. 490K miles. Fuel consumption value mpg on dash jumping up and down no matter if you driving downhill or flat road. Value can go up to 1 mpg. For example if going on flat road pedal or cruise mpg value will jump 5.9-6.3-5.8-6.2-6.9-6.3. I thought it may be fuel pressure sensor on the rail but checked reading on the other truck and reading are the same. Could it be injectors or anything else? How is this value (mpg on dash) being calculated? Truck starts fine - do not experience long cranking. Fuel miles not great but ok. Its been always getting 6.3. Didn't see any bubbles in Davco filter, but still need to check in return line. There is Injector test in Insite 8.3 which passed ok. Any suggestions?

Welcome to club srsttrans.
Do you have gal/hours readings, when truck idling steady or it jumping too?
I have same problem for years. Sensors, pump, injectors where changed, doesn't help.
Sometime it's cleared by itself. Engine running very smooth when its happens.
I'll PM you.

Its jumping even when idling. 0.7-0.9. when turbo activates or cold 1.2-1.4. Its not steady readings. ON the other truck value 07 and staedy, only sometimes jumps to 0.8 and back.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: snailexpress
08-18-2020, (Subject: Fuel consumption mpg value on dash jumping up and down ) 
Is your emissions systems still intact? - Could be the system trying to compensate for something it detects with one or more sensors. Possibly NOx reading fluctuations causing the ECM to use different amounts of EGR to compensate. Could even be an issue with the EGR system itself. Maybe the EGR valve is sticking at a certain % open/closed.

Could also have an exhaust leak leading to inaccurate readings from some sensors. That causes ECM to compensate when it might not need to, leading to bouncing up and down? Just a thought.

Could also check turbo, make sure it's functioning properly and actuator is also working properly.

Of course you should verify all your sensors are functioning within spec and not providing erratic readings. There's a diagnostic in Insite that can help with that along with using Data Monitor to see what readings the sensors are reporting.

The reading on your dash is usually based on a value supplied by the ECM then additionally manipulated by the OEM systems. For instance my Pete takes the ECM value and averages it out over X amount of time, resulting it smooth up/down transitions beign displayed on the dash instead of quick spikes/drops. I know volvo has their own methods. It could in fact be an OEM/body controller issue or even some kind of communication problem. It's really hard to say.

You can monitor the fuel economy value using Data Monitor in Insite. That will give you a better idea what the ECM is actually seeing/doing compared to what is displayed on the dash. Might be a good starting point to help narrow it down.

Finally, at the end of the day that number is nothing more than a calculated estimate based on many sensor readings and tables in the ECM. It's a best guess. Using a boost gauge and keeping the boost pressure as low as possible and steady will give you much better fuel mileage in the long run.

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.