Installing Solar on the truck...
09-08-2020, (Subject: Installing Solar on the truck... ) 
RE: Installing Solar on the truck...
(09-07-2020 )tree98 Wrote:  Loo, can you take the truck home just to work on it and then take it back to the storage place in the evening?

Unfortunately not, $1000 fine... Neighbor is still harassing folks and quick to call the sheriff.

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: snailexpress
Sucks when your house is not your house.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
(09-07-2020 )snailexpress Wrote:  Mr. Loo with solar power you can run AC now.
I have an idea.
:big_smile2::big_smile2::big_smile2::big_smile2::big_smile2:

LMAO! Yes, I have thought about doing just that! Did the door come with the AC unit? LOL!

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply
(09-08-2020 )Nilao Wrote:  Sucks when your house is not your house.

The reason I am starting the move to South Dakota... Getting tired of the BS here in Michigan, I miss the Dakotas.

replyreply
(09-07-2020 )Chamberpains Wrote:  If you wanted a much cleaner look to hold those down you could use heavy duty adhesive backed Hook and loop (velcro) 10lb rating or better. I used the stuff on my 2 roof mounted strobe lights. Clean the surface with some alcohol. Peal 1 side of the velcro and stick it to what your putting on the truck then peal the other side and stick it to the roof. For an added layer of securement and longevity run a bead of RTV silcon around the entire edge to seal out water and dirt from getting in and under the velcro. Those strobes never came off the roof in 6 years and are still up there.

The bigger strobes I had on the previous truck to this last one I added a bead of 2 part epoxy to the leading and trailing sides. This was waaaay over kill but I was afraid a tree strike would tear them off. I whacked quite a few and they never came off. But I also had a hard time getting them off by breaking the bead of epoxy with a chisel and it left 2 small lines of it on the roof. But it was on the roof. The only people that can see them are the government agency tracking you....

I thought of using the hook and loop, many guys do, even with the tape. But, from everything I have read, the tape will suffice. And, there is a piece of corrugated plastic cardboard under each panel for cooling.

I wish I could have gotten my fat ass on the roof, and was going to do just that, but after getting up there and pushing on the actual roof, I found it to be paper thin. I was pushing it in with ease, no support on the plastic or fiberglass.

All I could see was it cracking... A 90lb little girl would probably do fine up there, I could not see it supporting much more than that. So, I did the stretch routine, with the wind and my tape fluttering and the ladder slipping...

The good thing, we are the only folks that will more than likely ever see the panels on the roof. Unless I'm rolling under an overpass... As long as they stay put, I will be happy, and honestly, I don't see them going anywhere. That EternaBond along with the Gorilla tape, both are very tough.

replyreply
I love gorilla tape. Among other things it works great for patching tarps! Will last about 1 full year before it starts to get loose (on my 8' lumber tarps)

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
Just getting ready to take off up to the truck to finish this job, rain and now thunder, supposed to be like this into the afternoon. DAMN!

replyreply
Looking at your pictures I notice you taped down all sides... I thought the point of the corrugated plastic was to allow air flow under the panel?

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply
(09-08-2020 )JimT Wrote:  Looking at your pictures I notice you taped down all sides... I thought the point of the corrugated plastic was to allow air flow under the panel?

I thought the same too, but not for airflow, but to create a barrier for cooling between the roof and backside of the panel, at least that is what the experts say that tape all the way around them... The one issue I know some of these flexible solar panels have is hot spots, and I believe these panels are for that, to keep the hot spots at bay, at least that is my "assumption"...

Well, finally quit raining, going to see if I can get some work done today!

replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.