Isx Crankcase filter sensor high pressure
07-21-2016, (Subject: Isx Crankcase filter sensor high pressure ) 
Isx Crankcase filter sensor high pressure
Hi all,

I just purchased a '10 ProStar Limited from Iowa and I got delivered to me in San Diego Ca. The truck runs and feels great but when I took delivery the warn engine and amber triangle were on. Because the truck felt good (and because i hadnt worked for 1 week) I was going to take a short trip to LA. I hadn't left San Diego when i got a stop engine and red octagon. Did a parked regen that took about 1.5 hrs. Drove away and 5 mins later, red light and buzzer again. Took to Mechanic and got cranckcase filter code. Opened up and was full of milky oil and found a shorted cable from the sensor. Replaced both filter and sensor. Hooked up and empty 53' container and truck does the same thing. Also lots of white smoke puffs on uphil. Computer hooked up while driving shows 10psi at crankcase . Took back to Mechanic and looked at crankcase filter again and it's about 1/3 from bottom up soaked in oil after driving about 15 miles with empty container. He says that can only be the cylinder rings. Talking about an engine overhaul.

Any thoughts?
replyreply
RE: Isx Crankcase filter sensor high pressure
Can be multiple things. Off top of my head head gasket, cracked head, egr cooler leaking; how's the coolant? Is it running down the bottle? Mine has a slight over pressure issue but I lose half a gallon a week from the cap. None on the coolant so at this point I'm running it to make $ to replace the head if I have to. But to say it's in need of a rebuild without taking the proper steps is asinine.

PS. I would bet money your dpf is cracked at this point and will need to be replaced or go ahead and remove the mandate. I believe there is an awesome shop in Las Vegas, Nevada area that can help with that.
replyreply
(07-21-2016 )Nilao Wrote:  Can be multiple things. Off top of my head head gasket, cracked head, egr cooler leaking; how's the coolant? Is it running down the bottle? Mine has a slight over pressure issue but I lose half a gallon a week from the cap. None on the coolant so at this point I'm running it to make $ to replace the head if I have to. But to say it's in need of a rebuild without taking the proper steps is asinine.

PS. I would bet money your dpf is cracked at this point and will need to be replaced or go ahead and remove the mandate. I believe there is an awesome shop in Las Vegas, Nevada area that can help with that.

When the truck was delivered, the coolant at the bottle was about half way between hot and cold mark. After the filter, the coolant level is above the hot mark, almost all the way to the cap...
replyreply
(07-21-2016 )Nilao Wrote:  Can be multiple things. Off top of my head head gasket, cracked head, egr cooler leaking; how's the coolant? Is it running down the bottle? Mine has a slight over pressure issue but I lose half a gallon a week from the cap. None on the coolant so at this point I'm running it to make $ to replace the head if I have to. But to say it's in need of a rebuild without taking the proper steps is asinine.

When the truck was delivered, the coolant at the bottle was about half way between hot and cold mark. After the filter, the coolant level is above the hot mark, almost all the way to the cap...
replyreply
You could take your oil fill cap off and see if it's chuffing like a freight train. Mine puffs lightly against my hand. My friends has 1 million miles and has definite blow by as it chuffs smoke from the fill tube. Otherwise I'd say you need a blow by test as well as cylinder leak down tests run.
replyreply
Milky oil in CC filter, not good. I would keep a very close eye on the coolant level and usage.
Could be the sensor is already shot. Rawze shows in one of the threads drilling a 3/8 hole in the top right side of the filter to eliminate cc pressure alarms and codes. New style filter elimates the media and is open.

You've got a lot to do before you go running down the road, if you don't want to be on the side of it wondering what's wrong.

User's Signature: 2010 386 Pete CM871, 13 spd. 3.55
replyreply
Thanks guys for the info. Truck is still at the shop so cant check the blow by right now. The sensor was replaced yesterday when the filter was replaced.

I did read that thread about the little hole in the filter and I heard from a mechanic that a lot of his customer just take the filter off completely to relieve the pressure. But the problem is that the filter was already wet after 15 miles of driving it. Can I run it like that with no consequences other than having to add oil? (TO CLARIFY the milky filter was the original one that was replaced with this new one that's already semi wet again; no milky oil this time)

I bought a warranty for it so I'm sending an estimate to them. If I can get the inframe covered, I'm gonna try.
replyreply
Good luck. My experience with 3rd party warranties is they aren't worth the paper they're written on.
replyreply
Mechanic is talking inframe? ??Really? That's typical on the stealerships. First thing I would do is pressure test that cooling system. I would pull a oil sample too and consider a dyno as well befor I ever considered paying the stealer ships 35,000.00 for a inframe. Sounds like someone's pretty quick to take you for a ride down vasaliene lane. Just saying.
White milky substance in crankcase filter is definitely not a good sign but it don't mean you need a inframe eather.
It could be leaking oil cooler or egr cooler but it also could be a head gasket,dropped liner or injector cups to just name a few things off the top of my head and that's why you need to pressure test it to be sure.
We don't want to gess at it. That can get expensive real fast. If your mechanic says you need inframe befor doing the very minimum that I mentioned above just from changing the crankcase filter, you better run as fast as you can. Nothing personal friend but I get bothered real easily when I hear things like this.
Not saying you don't need a inframe but I would want more information befor proceeding any further. Good luck.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.