Bobtail insurance
10-07-2020, (Subject: Bobtail insurance ) 
Bobtail insurance
Hi guys and gals! I'm contemplating on switch carriers. I'm hauling for Amazon now and thinking to going back to spot market carrier. I don't like driving at night and lately night runs it's all I been getting at Amazon. Rates are good on spot market for now so I'll give it a shot and change carriers. That being said I need to get bobtail and physical damage insurance. I have it all in bundle with cargo insurance with my current carrier thru their insurance. I contacted them and they don't offer just bobtail and physical damage insurance and carrier I'm planning switching to only provides cargo and general liability insurance so I would need to get bobtail, none trucking liability and physical damage somewhere else. I called one agent and he quoted me almost $5800 for a year on $60k value for truck and trailer. To me it seems little bit high. I'm waiting to hear back from couple more insurance companies. I'm just wondering if anyone can help me out and tell me what insurance are you using for you bobtail insurance. I don't want to overpay for something if I don't have to. Your help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
replyreply
RE: Bobtail insurance
I am not a fan of their political organization stuffs ... but try OOIDA. Maybe you get a better deal.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
Try Progressive, I'm paying that much for 160k truck and trailer value. Great West Casualty is another one I'd check out as well.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Chamberpains
BTW: my own bobtail,+ OA, + qualcomm rental, etc... everything combined (all removed expenses before fuel) totals is about $130/week. We are registered for 3 drivers too, so it is a bit higher. This is thru our carrier, and it seem reasonable considering I don't have to deal with any of it myself.

just throwing it out there as a comparison.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
OOIDA was the least expensive I could find when getting ins quotes, but I live in Michigan. Dirt cheap here at Landstar...

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply
Thanks guys, I contacted progressive and ooida today. I'll see what numbers they come back with
replyreply
10-16-2020, (Subject: Bobtail insurance ) 
I go through Great West. First they are the number 1 rated A+ insurer in America. Now I have some friends that USED to get there's through OOIDA and have been told that some companies won't accept their insurance...

Anyway.

I have truck and trailer insured for 100K, I also have a extra's policy that covers all my personal belongings up to $2500, All my equipment like tarps, straps, chains up to $2500.
Towing to any shop or location I choose REGARDLESS of accident OR breakdown up to $5000

This is important, out of all the companies I have checked Great West is the ONLY one I have found that will cover towing for breakdowns not just accidents.

And they do it too... I lost a rocker and cam in Amarillo Texas and they paid $4500 for a buddy to bring his company truck with a fifth wheel wrecker from SLC and tow me back to SLC to my mechanic. Didn't even think twice. For all this my deductible is $250.00

I pay $268 a month

I can get it through the company Im leased to for $130 month but that policy covers nothing but Comp and Collision no extras.

User's Signature: 08 KW W900L 600hp ISX, 18sp, 3:36 rears.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hhow55 , Waterloo , Rawze , Pd6cas2
10-17-2020, (Subject: Bobtail insurance ) 
(10-16-2020 )LRT1549 Wrote:  I go through Great West. First they are the number 1 rated A+ insurer in America. Now I have some friends that USED to get there's through OOIDA and have been told that some companies won't accept their insurance...

Anyway.

I have truck and trailer insured for 100K, I also have a extra's policy that covers all my personal belongings up to $2500, All my equipment like tarps, straps, chains up to $2500.
Towing to any shop or location I choose REGARDLESS of accident OR breakdown up to $5000

This is important, out of all the companies I have checked Great West is the ONLY one I have found that will cover towing for breakdowns not just accidents.

And they do it too... I lost a rocker and cam in Amarillo Texas and they paid $4500 for a buddy to bring his company truck with a fifth wheel wrecker from SLC and tow me back to SLC to my mechanic. Didn't even think twice. For all this my deductible is $250.00

I pay $268 a month

I can get it through the company Im leased to for $130 month but that policy covers nothing but Comp and Collision no extras.

It will also depend on what state you are in, that same policy here in Michigan would be triple what you are paying, at least for my zip code. Progressive? Forget it. Last time I received a quote from them it was $14,000 for the year. I told them I needed bobtail, not cargo, that was the bobtail on just the tractor, my current tractor, I passed.

I used to insure the tractor and two trailers through Progressive, brand new equipment, for $775 a year with a $250 deductible... That was for three pieces of equipment, Volvo 780, Conestoga Wagon and a Great Dane Dry Van... Every state is different, unfortunately.

Also the main reason I do not own a POV, the insurance here in Michigan is as much as a car note, I don't need a vehicle right now, will soon, just not right now. I will wait for used car prices to come down before purchasing something, and plate and insure it in South Dakota. Michigan has gone off the rails.

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
10-18-2020, (Subject: Bobtail insurance ) 
(10-17-2020 )Waterloo Wrote:  It will also depend on what state you are in, that same policy here in Michigan would be triple what you are paying, at least for my zip code. Progressive? Forget it. Last time I received a quote from them it was $14,000 for the year. I told them I needed bobtail, not cargo, that was the bobtail on just the tractor, my current tractor, I passed.

I used to insure the tractor and two trailers through Progressive, brand new equipment, for $775 a year with a $250 deductible... That was for three pieces of equipment, Volvo 780, Conestoga Wagon and a Great Dane Dry Van... Every state is different, unfortunately.

Also the main reason I do not own a POV, the insurance here in Michigan is as much as a car note, I don't need a vehicle right now, will soon, just not right now. I will wait for used car prices to come down before purchasing something, and plate and insure it in South Dakota. Michigan has gone off the rails.

True but most are very close. I think Michigan is like it is first because of their insane weight laws, and second you damn near can't drive a mile on any of their roads without either losing parts off your vehicle or risking losing control...

Only good thing about Michigan roads is that you use half the tire wear per mile.... Why because you tires are only on the road half the time, the other half they are in the air from bouncing over those crap roads...

User's Signature: 08 KW W900L 600hp ISX, 18sp, 3:36 rears.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , snailexpress , Pd6cas2

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.