(2014) ISX15 coolant help!
10-15-2020, (Subject: (2014) ISX15 coolant help! ) 
(2014) ISX15 coolant help!
Hey guys any help would be much appreciated!! My 14 Isx15 450hp since I bought it upon start up coolant begins splashing or spraying around inside coolant reservoir! I removed cap and nothing sprays out and NO PRESSURE is accumulating! It’s out of my experience! I checked to see if Air Compressor was leaking into coolant it’s not unfortunately! I tested for combustion gases and it failed 3 times turning Napa blue to green almost teal I tested same fluid on crankcase it turns yellow. Coolant level has not changed and My truck runs great knock on wood Fuel mileage, and power all fine! She takes a little longer than I’m used too to warm up about 15 min to 175 to 185 and Oil was good and has been changed and is still looking good I’ve owned the truck for a month and have drove 3k under no load yet so power and fuel is based on my experience and bob tailing truck got 12.5 mpg to WI to WV upon purchase. Coolant is red inside reservoir i can some black specs nothing crazy mechanics said probably from dirty coolant being put back in after work. Truck has 647,000 miles total 240,000 on Overhaul with updates liners. This is everything I can think to tell about truck I’ve spent 10 years of savings to buy this truck and start my business I’m down to final 5k and I’ll be in service in a few days I don’t know what else to do but run the truck and keep tabs any help is greatly appreciated, so thank you in advance!
replyreply
RE: (2014) ISX15 coolant help!
2014 Prostar+ isx15*
replyreply
Well, the prostar coolant bottle is designed so the return line from the thermostat housing sprays into the top of the reservoir so it's possible that is what you're seeing. As far as the combustion gas test I wouldn't do it unless you are pushing coolant out of the cap. The coolant having black specks in it...I guess it could be dirt. I'd run it and watch it like a hawk.
replyreply
10-16-2020, (Subject: (2014) ISX15 coolant help! ) 
If you are going from blue to green on the block test kit, you have exhaust gas in your coolant system. I have been through this test a few times, it was always a fretted liner.

I would drop the oil pan, then pressurize the the coolant system to 20 psi, let it sit overnight, get under the truck with a very bright flashlight and have someone bar the motor by hand. If there is a fretted liner, you may hear gurgling up in the head and you are looking for droplets of coolant on the liner walls.

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply
Thank you Nilao, that is what I definitely feel I have to do For the time being !
Thank you Waterloo, with a Fretted liner wouldn’t I be losing coolant and or smoke? or is it going to be exacerbated under a Load causing smoke and possible coolant loss? Basically I’m asking would running it for 3 to 6 weeks with a fretted liner without coolant loss and fluid containment’s going to destroy the engine or cause major engine component failure ?
replyreply
(10-16-2020 )GhostHauling Wrote:  ...
with a Fretted liner wouldn’t I be losing coolant and or smoke?

I’m asking would running it for 3 to 6 weeks with a fretted liner without coolant loss and fluid containment’s going to destroy the engine or cause major engine component failure ?

I am not going to tell you that your issue is a fretted liner. Your descriptions so far do not definitively point to this.. it is anyone's guess on the forum here without seeing it first hand.

You say the coolant level is not changing nor is it loosing coolant. Like others have said, sounds like you need to just keep an eye on coolant levels and other possible signs of bigger issues.

TO answer those 2 questions I highlighted .. generalizing for ppl who may be trying to learn ...

- YES it is very harmful to run an engine with any amounts of coolant in the oil. Water and oil do not mix and coolant in the oil will wear out the lubricated components 100 - 300x faster than normal.. it is very serious. - Some could argue that it is only wearing out the components that get replaced during an inframe, but that is not true. It wears the crank, cams, rockers, shafts, air and fuel pumps, and all other things, quickly rendering it too expensive to replace everything during an inframe vs. replacing the whole engine. it is nothing to take lightly or take for granted if you have coolant mixing in your oil, even in small amounts.

- You also asked if it would smoke ... Not unless it was severe. Most the time, your only indication of a fretted liner or bad injector cup is simply coolant level rising several inches in the coolant bottle when engine brake is on, or when climbing hills, etc.. or it puking coolant out of the top of the bottle (or out the overflow on some trucks) on occasions. If the problem is not severe, there would be no other signs of problems that were immediately apearant. This is why some have suggested pulling the oil pan off and pressure testing the coolant for 24 hours. That is the definitive way to know for sure if there is an internal coolant problem in the engine. - Not something someone would resort to unless problems were suspected.

- The truck being a Prostar, the coolant in the top of the plastic bottle splashing around is quite normal for them. The thermostat bleeder dumps into the top of the plastic tank and causes this. That in itself is not a sign of bigger issues.

A simple test for bigger coolant issues ... Whenever someone comes over here I want to do a simple/quick test to see if they might have liner, injector cup, or head gasket issues, I do this...

I put a pressure test set on the coolant system and pressurize it up at 1 or 2 psi (just enough to get the gauge to move off of zero) with the truck still warm from operations but switched off. - I then crank the truck and let it idle and see how fast the pressure build up from that point up to above 10 psi or so. It should take 10 - 15 minutes (give or take) or more to build up and it should not build up in only a couple minutes. - Testing it this way is not 100% the most accurate but if it fails, then you know for sure there are issues. Just because the pressure does not build at idle, does not mean nothing is wrong though... Many times a bad head gasket or liner will only show up when under engine load or during engine braking. In your case, you are concerned about bubbles while it is idling. If it were the head or an injector cup causing what you see, this test would reveal if the bubbles/splashing around in the top of the tank were a bigger problem or not because if it the head gasket or injector cup is bad enough to cause bubbles at idle, you will see the pressure slowly build as well (pressure going from 2 psi to 10 psi in only a few minutes), and it would fail this test.

- Like mentioned though... if it is a slow leak or an injector cup barely leaking and those components are suspect, the only way to know for sure is to resort to pulling the oil pan off it and pressurize the coolant system at 20-psi and let it sit with that pressure on it over night (topping off the pressure so it stays stays 20 psi as engine cools) for 24 hours. - After that, like Waterloo said,.. The next day, have someone turn engine by hand and someone else listening for gurgling in one of the cylinders on a compression stroke and/or droplets of water on a liner wall or other component. - This is the only 100% way to know for sure.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Chamberpains , Toolguy
Thank you Rawze for your time and input I very much appreciate it! That voice in my head says don’t push a broken truck be smart and patient get back in a company truck until my truck is ready I can’t in good faith kill that engine I worked so hard to buy Time for some more test I’ll update the results and thanks again guys!
replyreply
Rawze, on those injector cups, is it a common issue on the newer 2250+ to fail? Having the 871, it seems to be a rare occurrence. If it is an injector cup, will there be exhaust gas in the coolant system from a failed injector cup? I don't see how it could, but I am still learning about these high pressure fuel pump motors.

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply
(10-16-2020 )Waterloo Wrote:  Rawze, on those injector cups, is it a common issue on the newer 2250+ to fail? Having the 871, it seems to be a rare occurrence. If it is an injector cup, will there be exhaust gas in the coolant system from a failed injector cup? I don't see how it could, but I am still learning about these high pressure fuel pump motors.

that is what was wrong with mine ... why i inframed it ... injector cup put pressure in coolant system and washed out a cylinder.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.