CM2250 loud engine whine, need advice
11-01-2020, (Subject: CM2250 loud engine whine, need advice ) 
RE: CM2250 loud engine whine, need advice
(11-01-2020 )suined Wrote:  Another thing I just thought of. The oil was brand new when I picked it up, the truck kept flashing regen needed on the way home, then the last 50 miles it actually derated. The oil already is black. I don't think this would cause a whine?

Well that can't be good. Oil shouldn't get black that fast, especially only 100k mi after an inframe. While probably not directly related to the noise it most likely means your getting A LOT of soot pumped into that oil.

The air compressor being new catches my attention. Not sure if it would be the cause, but maybe someone didn't time it right when replacing the compressor?

Have you pulled the intake pipe off the turbo (leading to the CAC) to check for any oil leaks or inspect the turbine for wear or excessive dirt/soot buildup?

What about the cam/rockers/valves? have you pulled the rocker cover and inspected in there?

If all you have is a 400 mi trip home, presumably bobtail, then there's not much experience with this truck to lean on. Gonna have to do a lot of exploration and investigation. You mentioned being in PA. What part?

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply
(11-01-2020 )JimT Wrote:  
(11-01-2020 )suined Wrote:  Another thing I just thought of. The oil was brand new when I picked it up, the truck kept flashing regen needed on the way home, then the last 50 miles it actually derated. The oil already is black. I don't think this would cause a whine?

Well that can't be good. Oil shouldn't get black that fast, especially only 100k mi after an inframe. While probably not directly related to the noise it most likely means your getting A LOT of soot pumped into that oil.

The air compressor being new catches my attention. Not sure if it would be the cause, but maybe someone didn't time it right when replacing the compressor?

Have you pulled the intake pipe off the turbo (leading to the CAC) to check for any oil leaks or inspect the turbine for wear or excessive dirt/soot buildup?

What about the cam/rockers/valves? have you pulled the rocker cover and inspected in there?

If all you have is a 400 mi trip home, presumably bobtail, then there's not much experience with this truck to lean on. Gonna have to do a lot of exploration and investigation. You mentioned being in PA. What part?

I had the pipes off to test the cac for any leaks, the turbo and actuator are brand new, have 1400 miles on currently ( paperwork from Prev owner)

I also was wondering about the air compressor myself. Looks like it was replaced by peterbilt so you would assume it was done correctly.

The truck is having me force regen daily at this point, the previous owner has given me $12,000 in receipts from peterbilt trying to figure the emission system out without any luck. So I assume that's the reason for the black oil already

I am from the Harrisburg pa area
replyreply

Send an oil sample to a reputable lab once it gets about 10k miles on it or so and not just have it done at an oil change place with one of those stupid quick-check machines. - See what is in that oil.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
(11-01-2020 )Rawze Wrote:  

Send an oil sample to a reputable lab once it gets about 10k miles on it or so and not just have it done at an oil change place with one of those stupid quick-check machines. - See what is in that oil.

I have the amsoil pump to pull samples from the dipstick tube and collection bottles to send to the lab. I'm pretty diligent on doing that on all my trucks, it's a good piece of mind
replyreply
11-02-2020, (Subject: CM2250 loud engine whine, need advice ) 
Does the whine seem to change when the air compressor kicks in and starts making air?

User's Signature: 2015 Kenworth T660
replyreply
11-02-2020, (Subject: CM2250 loud engine whine, need advice ) 
(11-02-2020 )Mattman Wrote:  Does the whine seem to change when the air compressor kicks in and starts making air?

Nope whine stays the same, air compressor makes clicking noise while building air though, none of my other trucks make that noise
replyreply
11-03-2020, (Subject: CM2250 loud engine whine, need advice ) 
(11-02-2020 )suined Wrote:  
(11-02-2020 )Mattman Wrote:  Does the whine seem to change when the air compressor kicks in and starts making air?

Nope whine stays the same, air compressor makes clicking noise while building air though, none of my other trucks make that noise

This "Clicking" noise, is it the actual compressor ior is it the Air Dryer? I have heard plenty of air dryers click, can't say I have heard an air compressor do that. Normally on the Cummins, we get the compressor knock, it tends to get louder as the pump ages.

And as far as "assuming" the dealer installed the compressor correctly is just that, and assumption... We all know the definition of assume, it is to make an ass of you and me... ;-)

May want to go over the compressor if that is what is actually ticking, it may not be lined up properly to the front gear train, which entails removing it.

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply
(11-03-2020 )Waterloo Wrote:  
(11-02-2020 )suined Wrote:  

This "Clicking" noise, is it the actual compressor ior is it the Air Dryer? I have heard plenty of air dryers click, can't say I have heard an air compressor do that. Normally on the Cummins, we get the compressor knock, it tends to get louder as the pump ages.

And as far as "assuming" the dealer installed the compressor correctly is just that, and assumption... We all know the definition of assume, it is to make an ass of you and me... ;-)

May want to go over the compressor if that is what is actually ticking, it may not be lined up properly to the front gear train, which entails removing it.

Here is a quick video I took of the compressor running. Notice the knocking sound until the air dryer kicks

https://youtu.be/PzPzFXOKPXk
replyreply
You don't have any air blowing out anywhere while its running do you? That sounds like its pumping the air out somewhere.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.