Fan Control Circuit engine shutoff
11-03-2020, (Subject: Fan Control Circuit engine shutoff ) 
Fan Control Circuit engine shutoff
Hi, I am having the following problem with an International Prostar 2009 ISX 871 with @m*m^2 tune.

When it's at idle it doesn't have a problem, but when goes up on RPM 1400-1500 idling or on the road at above 1100RPM the engine shuts down and gives out the following codes.

SID 33 FMI4, SID 647 FMI 4, SPN 632 FMI 4, and SID 17 FM 4

I checked the connection at the fan control valve connector and it shows the following values.

10.30VDC at the connector's positive and negative pins with the engine off
10.30VDC at the ECM OEM Pin #38 and battery negative terminal with the engine off
12.70VDC from the connector's ground pin to the battery positive terminal with engine off
2.35VDC from the connector's positive pin to the battery positive terminal with engine off

I am able to to turn on/off the valve with the insite fan override test and i get the following values.

11.19VDC at the connector's positive and negative with the engine on fan clutch on
13.60VDC at the connector's positive and negative with the engine on fan clutch off

The Fan control logic is set at 0VDC for On
Fan Control Switch OFF
Fan Type On/OFF

I think that the problem is the ECM, but I would like to know if there is something I am missing. Thanks for the help in advance.
replyreply
11-03-2020, (Subject: Fan Control Circuit engine shutoff ) 
RE: Fan Control Circuit engine shutoff
Start with a new fuel shut off valve. You can check the resistance between the terminal post and ground - Should be 6-15ohms.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , INTERPRO
11-04-2020, (Subject: Fan Control Circuit engine shutoff ) 
(11-03-2020 )INTERPRO Wrote:  ...

SID 33 FMI4 = Cummins fault code 245. Fan Control Voltage below normal.
SID 647 FMI 4 = same as above ... Cummins fault code 245. Fan Control Voltage below normal.

SPN 632 FMI 4 = Cummins Fault Code 254. Shutoff Valve Shorted out or Voltage below normal.
SID 17 FM 4 = same as above.. Cummins Fault Code 254. Shutoff Valve Shorted out or Voltage below normal.

Neither of those faults are normal for the ecm unless something is wrong.

Fuel shutoff solenoid is notorious for not allowing the einge to start or run correctly when they are going bad. - Some people pull the guts(plungers) out of the shut-off solenoid and re-install just the housing so there is no fuel leaks and run the engine to see if it runs normally to troubleshoot this before replacing it.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: INTERPRO
Thanks for the fast responses, ill gut it out and try again.
replyreply
I tested it without the guts and also replaced it with a new fuel shutoff solenoid and the same codes and conditions come up.
replyreply
I tested it without the guts and also replaced it with a new fuel shutoff solenoid and the same codes and conditions come up.

(11-04-2020 )Rawze Wrote:  
(11-03-2020 )INTERPRO Wrote:  ...

SID 33 FMI4 = Cummins fault code 245. Fan Control Voltage below normal.
SID 647 FMI 4 = same as above ... Cummins fault code 245. Fan Control Voltage below normal.

SPN 632 FMI 4 = Cummins Fault Code 254. Shutoff Valve Shorted out or Voltage below normal.
SID 17 FM 4 = same as above.. Cummins Fault Code 254. Shutoff Valve Shorted out or Voltage below normal.

Neither of those faults are normal for the ecm unless something is wrong.

Fuel shutoff solenoid is notorious for not allowing the einge to start or run correctly when they are going bad. - Some people pull the guts(plungers) out of the shut-off solenoid and re-install just the housing so there is no fuel leaks and run the engine to see if it runs normally to troubleshoot this before replacing it.
replyreply
11-05-2020, (Subject: Fan Control Circuit engine shutoff ) 
It could be the ECM. Do you have access to one you could try briefly?
replyreply
I have a friend of mine that is going to lend me one. The only questions i have about that is. Do I have to backup my ECM with calterm then load it to the other ECM to do a quick test? His ECM doesnt have the @m*m^2. If I do have to do that what would be the correct procedure to back it up and then load it to the ECM. i would also need to back up his ECM too then load it again to that ECM. I loaded the @m*m^2 almost 5 years ago and i am not sure if I have to follow that procedure or there is a quicker way to replace the ECMs
replyreply
If the trucks have the same type of accelerator and fan setup (preferably the same make and model truck) then just fit the ECM and go for a quick drive. You may run into fault codes or notice differences in driving. You are only checking that it doesn't shut down.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.