Talk to me about air compressors...please
12-16-2020, (Subject: Talk to me about air compressors...please ) 
Talk to me about air compressors...please
Hello, I have a 2012 Volvo with a demandated CM2250 that has 810K and it is running the original factory air compressor. I have no reason to suspect any fowl play from the compressor as it sounds and operates as it always has.

However, I don’t want it to suddenly strand me... So I was just wondering what the average life of a compressor is and is the general thought to rebuild the old one or replace it with new?

Thanks for any advise!

User's Signature: Anti-seize EVERYTHING, Except injectors...Use Petroleum Jelly!!!
replyreply
RE: Talk to me about air compressors...please
Mr Rawze recommends replace at 800k

User's Signature: It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Waterloo , JMBT
I would go with a new unit or a reman at 800k. When you replace your compressor its always good to do an inspection and any required maintenance on the air dryer to make sure its functioning correctly. Some guys have said they replace the dryer when doing a compressor. I don't think that's necessary if its functioning properly with no leaks and a new cartridge.

User's Signature: 2015 389 Peterbilt. ISX 550 18speed 3.70 gears
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JMBT
I have seen many go over a million. However, its a chance you take. When doing compressor also check the air flow on the discharge line going from compressor and dryer. A good idea to replace dryer too as it will be clogged with carbon too... On the discharge line the main complaint we will see is air is slow to build. Many times shops with automatically throw a compressor on.. However, many cases its either the line clogged up going from compressor to dryer and I have seen where the dryer it self was clogged up... And last but not least governor. They are not expensive and can be changed easy. I would just keep a spare in the truck as it shouldn't put you done..
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hhow55 , Rawze , JMBT
And do yourself a favor and dont buy a cheap reman from a no name rebuilder. I tried that was in a jam and needed to get up and running asap. 75,000 mi later was replaced by people that did it. Now 90,000 later here we go again.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Waterloo , JMBT
12-17-2020, (Subject: Talk to me about air compressors...please ) 
9,000hrs seems to be a good time to swap them in my experience.
replyreply
I found a nice reman by Haldex (USA) genuine factory Cummins compressor at FleetPride. I have had no issues with it and it has been on there a few years. I believe I paid around $900. Take your core, as they wanted a $600 core deposit. And do not forget to remove all of the fittings off of the old compressor.

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JMBT , Roysbigtoys
Its also good to snap a few pics of the plumbing and direction of the fittings and attachments for quick reference before and after the compressor is out of the engine. Its way easier to have the fittings on the new compressor before it goes on the engine. Often times the fittings are tough, if not impossible to take on/off with the compressor on the engine.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , JMBT , Roysbigtoys
Signature620 I have 19,000 hours on my compressor. It's still going strong for me.

User's Signature: 2015 Kenworth T660
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.