9 Pin Data Link issue
01-08-2021, (Subject: 9 Pin Data Link issue ) 
9 Pin Data Link issue
2010 Peterbilt 387
ISX
Data link is stopped communicating with mcp50 by Omnitrac. Thought it took a crap from being old, but installed a new IVG and it’s not getting power either.
What I’ve checked and know so far:
All fuses behind glove box checked with ohm meter and test light. All good.
Checking pins on data link plug:
Pin B (power +) light the tester
Pin C (CAN J1939 HI (+) When I touch it, no light, but kicks my high idle off.
Pin D (CAN 1939 LO (-) gets nothing. And I can’t remember for sure if it was this pin or not but ohm meter didn’t zero out.
Keep in mind I have minimal to zero electric know how talk to me like I’m 3 lol.
Thanks
replyreply
01-08-2021, (Subject: 9 Pin Data Link issue ) 
RE: 9 Pin Data Link issue
Are you directly plugged in to the data port or is there a splitter? I've had 3 splitter plugs that were loose pinned and had to pull them apart to secure them so they wouldn't push the pins back when plugged in. Either way, be sure all the pins in the sockets properly installed and making full contact. I had all kinds of connectivity issues that were fixed after finding this.
replyreply
01-09-2021, (Subject: 9 Pin Data Link issue ) 
Its a direct connection. Its been until i started the truck, it booted said something about a .exe file and had to reboot, it rebooted then the screen froze. I unplugged it from the data plug plugged it back in, it lit up went black and nuttin since.
replyreply
(01-08-2021 )Grizzly Wrote:  2010 Peterbilt 387
ISX
Data link is stopped communicating with mcp50 by Omnitrac. Thought it took a crap from being old, but installed a new IVG and it’s not getting power either.
What I’ve checked and know so far:
All fuses behind glove box checked with ohm meter and test light. All good.
Checking pins on data link plug:
Pin B (power +) light the tester
Pin C (CAN J1939 HI (+) When I touch it, no light, but kicks my high idle off.
Pin D (CAN 1939 LO (-) gets nothing. And I can’t remember for sure if it was this pin or not but ohm meter didn’t zero out.
Keep in mind I have minimal to zero electric know how talk to me like I’m 3 lol.
Thanks

Light tester or voltmeter will not work to check J1939. Turn ignition off set the DMM to ohm meter 200 ohm range. Between J1939 HI and J1939 Low should be around 60 +- 6 ohms.
replyreply
Those fuses refer to the power and ground connections on the data port plug and not the signal(J1939) wires themselves. Most likely it is a fuse in your fuse panel that controls this.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
01-10-2021, (Subject: 9 Pin Data Link issue ) 
Well fuqall if I know what’s going on. It musta been goblins. I go today to check a few things all ready to have a frustrating day and the damn thing boots up and acts like there was never a problem.
Thanks for tryin to help out though.
replyreply
01-11-2021, (Subject: 9 Pin Data Link issue ) 
(01-10-2021 )Grizzly Wrote:  Well fuqall if I know what’s going on. It musta been goblins. I go today to check a few things all ready to have a frustrating day and the damn thing boots up and acts like there was never a problem.
Thanks for tryin to help out though.

maybe its your elog device and not the truck at all?

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
01-11-2021, (Subject: 9 Pin Data Link issue ) 
And just to throw it out there 1 more time. Maybe pull the weather packing out of the back of your connectors and make sure all your wires for the diagnostic port are good. I just had this happen with my latest truck. The mileage wouldn't record on my ELD which then wouldn't allow the ELD to track the driving updates every hour. It would only update mileage when I stopped and changed duty status. EVERYTHING else on the ELD would record and function properly.

Fast forward after hrs of diag and resetting and uninstall/reinstall and updating and being on the phone jumping through ELD manufacturers diag crap... I pulled the weatherpack out for the hell of it and there was a wire holding on by a strand of copper. Fixed that and that fixed everything with the ELD.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.