Inframe
01-22-2021, (Subject: Inframe ) 
Inframe
So I have an appointment for the first of February to take the ol girl to Mr Haggi for an inframe. She's got 1124xxx and counting, had rods and mains done once, so it's due. Runs really good with very little oil used between changes, is leaking some around the compressor. I do a lot of work on the truck myself but I'm just not up to inframing. But I know I want it done right so there was no question about it going to GA. Plus I'm really looking forward to meeting Mr Haggi and Rawze.
So I also want to replace the cams and injectors because of the miles. But I was wondering with changing cams and injectors can it be built to different specifications. I'm by no means wanting to jack up the HP and torque. But can you build a better mouse trap for say.
I have a 2008 Prostar with 871, SN79275004, with a Ultrashift and if I remember correctly 3:55s. I pull a flatbed and I'm heavy a lot but also dead head a lot. I don't run the truck hard and keep my RPMs up and boost down. I also never let it get hot. I'm always manually turning the fan on around 195. It’s just a habit and I feel it's helped it last so long. When ever I stop and the truck is idling I turn the fan on and leave it run.
Also leaning toward changing the oil cooler also, thoughts on that??? This truck is a keeper for me so I want to do it right. But if I can make it better then I'm open to changes.
replyreply
RE: Inframe
You can look at lifetime average engine load in insite. If it shows above 45% or so then it might be better to put the bigger injectors, pistons, and valve cam in but otherwise its not worth the extra expense (few thousand by the time you get injectors and have no cores to turn in) if ya ask me.

The engine will also be overall slightly less fuel efficient when you do this too when your not heavily loaded.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
Yes, replace the oil cooler.

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply
(01-22-2021 )Waterloo Wrote:  Yes, replace the oil cooler.
That's what I was thinking too. I want to do it right because I don't want to be back fixing something I could have the first time. I have some friends that ask, why you doing this or that. I have been on the hook before and it can be expensive. I would rather put money into parts or work on the truck then paying a hook.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: tree98
(01-22-2021 )Rawze Wrote:  You can look at lifetime average engine load in insite. If it shows above 45% or so then it might be better to put the bigger injectors, pistons, and valve cam in but otherwise its not worth the extra expense (few thousand by the time you get injectors and have no cores to turn in) if ya ask me.

The engine will also be overall slightly less fuel efficient when you do this too when your not heavily loaded.
My ECM fried a little bit ago so I don't believe it will have much history. We could not get anything from the old ECM, had the steelership flash the new ECM. I bought a inline 6 and had my son setup a toughbook with windows 7. I'm not a computer person at all but my son is and he can't get it to work. He said he can get it to work if he changes the time on the laptop. But he said it doesn't stay working. I'm not a tech kinda person more hands on. I just did drives, brakes, drums and air bags in the driveway last Sunday.
As far as cams and injectors would the day I drop the truck off be to late to make a decision like that. Would Mr Haggi already have the parts ordered for the infame?
replyreply
Most of the time we dont order parts untiltare down due to line size.. Many times theres 2 options. So day of will be ok.. ALso note bigger injectors they chare a core charge. Stupid I know but if not like for like they charge me back..
replyreply
(01-22-2021 )Mr Hagg Wrote:  Most of the time we dont order parts untiltare down due to line size.. Many times theres 2 options. So day of will be ok.. ALso note bigger injectors they chare a core charge. Stupid I know but if not like for like they charge me back..
Thank you Sir that's great to know, I look forward to speaking with you when I get her down there.
replyreply
01-23-2021, (Subject: Inframe ) 
(01-22-2021 )Ricky Wrote:  
(01-22-2021 )Mr Hagg Wrote:  Most of the time we dont order parts untiltare down due to line size.. Many times theres 2 options. So day of will be ok.. ALso note bigger injectors they chare a core charge. Stupid I know but if not like for like they charge me back..
Thank you Sir that's great to know, I look forward to speaking with you when I get her down there.

I give you hint, Mr Hagg like's beef jerky, the soft kind.

User's Signature: It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person
replyreply
01-23-2021, (Subject: Inframe ) 
I didn’t do my oil cooler, 160k later I have to go in and do it.

Live and learn
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.