Inframe
01-23-2021, (Subject: Inframe ) 
RE: Inframe
(01-23-2021 )Aleeex Wrote:  I didn’t do my oil cooler, 160k later I have to go in and do it.

Live and learn
I have 1124xxx miles on her now. Had overhead ran this summer and cams looked great, but going to change them. Injectors are reman no names from Truckpro done in 2017, going to change them. Yes the oil cooler is getting changed too. I don't have deep pockets but I have been saving just for this. And I don't want to have her back in the shop because I cut corners not buying new cams and injectors. My biggest fear would be, I go cheap and six months down the road one of those things go bad. It could very well trash a great inframe done by an amazing shop.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: tree98 , Pd6cas2
I think you're making the right choice by far.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
Don't change the cams for no reason. Let Hagg check them out. If you want, change all the intake rockers as a preventative measure - They always fail first.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , Rawze , redbeard
(01-23-2021 )Signature620 Wrote:  Don't change the cams for no reason. Let Hagg check them out. If you want, change all the intake rockers as a preventative measure - They always fail first.
This is how I look at this inframe. I bought the truck in March of 2014 with mid to high 500,000(can't remember). I have no idea how it was taken care of before me. I have taken very good care and it now is over a million miles. So I have had it almost seven years at about 75,000 miles a year. I want another million mile engine and I know Mr Haggi can build that. Those cams won't last another million miles so there goes the million mile engine. I do see your point if I was the one doing the work but I'm not. I did pull the head from this truck once by myself and it wasn't fun. So big stuff, engine, to me is best left to the professionals.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: tree98 , JimT
02-03-2021, (Subject: Inframe ) 
(01-22-2021 )Ricky Wrote:  So I have an appointment for the first of February to take the ol girl to Mr Haggi for an inframe. She's got 1124xxx and counting, had rods and mains done once, so it's due. Runs really good with very little oil used between changes, is leaking some around the compressor. I do a lot of work on the truck myself but I'm just not up to inframing. But I know I want it done right so there was no question about it going to GA. Plus I'm really looking forward to meeting Mr Haggi and Rawze.
So I also want to replace the cams and injectors because of the miles. But I was wondering with changing cams and injectors can it be built to different specifications. I'm by no means wanting to jack up the HP and torque. But can you build a better mouse trap for say.
I have a 2008 Prostar with 871, SN79275004, with a Ultrashift and if I remember correctly 3:55s. I pull a flatbed and I'm heavy a lot but also dead head a lot. I don't run the truck hard and keep my RPMs up and boost down. I also never let it get hot. I'm always manually turning the fan on around 195. It’s just a habit and I feel it's helped it last so long. When ever I stop and the truck is idling I turn the fan on and leave it run.
Also leaning toward changing the oil cooler also, thoughts on that??? This truck is a keeper for me so I want to do it right. But if I can make it better then I'm open to changes.

So just doing a update on the inframe. So I got to Mr Haggai's in Griffin GA Monday morning. Got the car off the dolly and the dolly off the truck. Went to pull the truck into the shop and the air pressure was down to 80. I was able to get it backed up to the door. But we had to put some boards under the front tires to get it in the door because the truck is really low. They then used a hose to air the truck up and got it into the shop. Allison, Jerry's daughter and engine builder, checked it out and found that the compressor had went out. Talk about timing. But since then she has it torn down and has done an amazing job. So I will give a brief overview of how things look as far as wear once she got it apart. Cams and rollers worn but no flaking but some scratches. The Jake assemblies were really worn out. Injectors tested good, and not a lot of carbon in the head or on the pistons. Some of the cam bearing are scared as well as the mains and rods. When she pulled the pistons one of the rings was broken. The liners are smooth with no hash marks. She also said that the liners were not to specs but most likely because of all the miles on the engine. There's a huge line of parts ready for install. Here are some pictures of some of the removed parts.

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Waterloo , SquareOne , Roysbigtoys
...continued...

replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Waterloo , SquareOne , Roysbigtoys , wellrun
It was time, and you are in good hands.

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply
02-04-2021, (Subject: Inframe ) 
(02-03-2021 )Waterloo Wrote:  It was time, and you are in good hands.
Yes it surely was due without a doubt. It didn't have blow by, it only used around a gallon to gallon and half in between oil changes. It was leaking oil around the compressor and she was a little noisy. But all in all she still worked every day without issues. But with the miles I just had a gut feeling that it was time. So when I felt that I was in a good place money wise I made the call.
As for being in good hands, you are 150% correct. Everyone I have met has been awesome and truly cares about what they are doing. They are very friendly and treat everyone like family. The knowledge, experience, professionalism and attention to detail flows there like a well oiled machine.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , amermextrucker , Roysbigtoys , RocketScott , Redland1
02-04-2021, (Subject: Inframe ) 
Another day at Jerry's, such a great experience. So I got to get dirty today and worked with Allison all day. She is a very special young woman and an amazing mechanic. I love working on stuff and it was great turning wrenches with her spending the day getting dirty. Jerry has taught her a lot but she has a talent for perfection and is eager to learn more. Here's a picture of the new liners she set today.

replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , amermextrucker , Roysbigtoys , Redland1

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.