EGR pipe
01-24-2021, (Subject: EGR pipe ) 
EGR pipe
So driving down the road and boom....sounds like a tire. I pull over and the EGR tube has broke off from the clamped connection.

First does anyone know of someone open on sundays near Tallahassee? All the dealers are closed.

Second, why would this happen? I have been to Jerry’s.

2019 x15 performance.
229k.

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply
RE: EGR pipe
Forgot to ask, I’m on the side of the road, can I drive a short distance to a truck stop like this?
replyreply
I've heard of this happening, it's because of cheap welding. Try to find a welding shop might be your best shot.
replyreply
It wasn’t on a weld, it’s a clean break.so you heard of this exact problem before?
replyreply
If it's properly demanned and the EGR system is blocked off on both sides then you should be able to drive without any issue as boost pressure wouldn't be affected. If the system is functional then it would be really bad to move significant distances. In any case you should be able to drive a short distance to a safe parking location.

As to the cause, if demanned I'd say excess pressure buildup inside that section (it just found the weakest point to fail). If demanned and blocked off on both sides then a loose connection, such as that location, would be advised to prevent pressure buildup. If however there's only the one big plug on the exhaust manifold and NOT on the crossover tube then the pressure inside would be able to equalize and leaks such as your current dilemma would be bad.

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Explosia
Its properly done. I met you and rawze over there when you were doing your inframe. I hink they just block off the exhaust, I’m not sure though. I was thinking I could just drive it like this for a few hundred miles to deliver and fix it tomorrow, but I was unsure if that would be a bad idea.
replyreply
Well I guess if they just blocked the exhaust it’s the turbo causing the pressure? It broke when I was pulling a small hill.
replyreply
You have a boost gauge? If you can still produce normal boost then it's been blocked off just fine. Even the EGR valve should seal the system when closed.

One large block goes into the exhaust manifold where it branches off to the EGR circut. Then a small plate is often added, though not required, on the crossover connection going into the intake manifold. That second one is not required as the EGR valve should provide the same functionality. I believe both plates would have been applied in your case.

So, yes, as long as you can maintain normal boost levels then you should be able to drive like that as long as you want.

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Explosia
I’m screwed I’m not making any boost. Can I drive 10 miles like this?
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.