2010 Pete 389 ISX 871 shuts down intermittently
01-26-2021, (Subject: 2010 Pete 389 ISX 871 shuts down intermittently ) 
2010 Pete 389 ISX 871 shuts down intermittently
I have a 2010 Pete 389 with a ISX 871 that will just shut down on me. Under power and at an idle. It’s like turning the key off. It will throw a code of “fuel delivery pressure low”. I spun filters and no go so we changed the engine wiring harness. I took off this morning and 15 minutes down the road it did the same. I can restart it when the code goes inactive. Sometimes it will run seconds other times it’ll run hours. Any ideas? They are telling me now to change the ECM ,which is a shitshow because it’s demandated. Any ideas. I do have access to a shop and a laptop..
Thanks in advance,
Bill
replyreply
RE: 2010 Pete 389 ISX 871 shuts down intermittently
Smack the top of the ECM with a screwdriver handle and see if it stalls or skips. Usually thats a telltale sign of a bad ECM.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Billcummins6
(01-26-2021 )marek4792 Wrote:  Smack the top of the ECM with a screwdriver handle and see if it stalls or skips. Usually thats a telltale sign of a bad ECM.
The mechanic forgot to tighten up ECM connector at the ECM Bahahaha. Thanks for the info.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Blott4
(01-26-2021 )Billcummins6 Wrote:  ...
They are telling me now to change the ECM ,which is a shitshow because it’s demandated.

How come you don't have a copy on hand of your custom made ecm program in case something like that happens?

and did you ever send me your program for a review to ensure the program was ok?
ref: http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...6#pid46926

... I don't see where you may have sent it over.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
01-27-2021, (Subject: 2010 Pete 389 ISX 871 shuts down intermittently ) 
(01-26-2021 )Rawze Wrote:  
(01-26-2021 )Billcummins6 Wrote:  ...
They are telling me now to change the ECM ,which is a shitshow because it’s demandated.

How come you don't have a copy on hand of your custom made ecm program in case something like that happens?

and did you ever send me your program for a review to ensure the program was ok?
ref: http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...6#pid46926

... I don't see where you may have sent it over.
I never had access to a laptop and getting a copy was out of the question from the shop that did the work. Ill send it over today, its a program from DF.
The truck is still shutting down. My mechanic is going to change the ECM today. It ran great for 4 hours yesterday then started dying again. There was no power interruption between the batteries and the ECM as the check engine code said. He also tried the ignition switch. I'll try and figure out how to copy the program and send it to you. ASAP. I'd like to try and get this done right this time before I have another 30k dollar failure. That would put me out of business..
replyreply
(01-27-2021 )Billcummins6 Wrote:  ...
The truck is still shutting down. My mechanic is going to change the ECM today. It ran great for 4 hours yesterday then started dying again. There was no power interruption between the batteries and the ECM as the check engine code said. He also tried the ignition switch. I'll try and figure out how to copy the program and send it to you. ASAP. I'd like to try and get this done right this time before I have another 30k dollar failure. That would put me out of business..

that model ecm has known intermittent issues when they get old.... here is some related info:
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...0#pid12320

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
I never had access to a laptop and getting a copy was out of the question from the shop that did the work. Ill send it over today, its a program from DF.

You own a red engine. An Inline-6 adapter kit can be had from fleeabay for about $300 bucks or so. Should have been one of your first investments towards owning that thing so that your not reliant on others every time you get a hiccup.

If the place you mentioned is that garbage-can tuning company out of Colorado... then I can assure you that the program is going to be nothing but horrible engine-torturing garbage. I have seen lots of their butcher-work in the past and the destruction and damage that it causes over time plenty of times.

Personally, I could not stomach the thought of maybe having a horrible engine torturing program in my ecm by one of those companies, especially knowing that A)> The s$it can be done the right way, and B) There are resources for doing the programming yourself correctly and mostly for for free once someone has a cheap adapter and some sort of laptop to talk to the ecm with.

Every mile a truck goes is a gamble with regard to bad delete programming. It is absolutely a plague in this industry and that place you just mentioned has made far more than their fair share of completely butchered programs for that model engine.

I am not going to include this thread on the "bad delete" list just yet however. I always at least try to give the benefit of the doubt until something is known 100%. Get the program copied out of that ecm, you could have done this yourself with a cheap adapter and a crappy laptop, but in any event, e-mail it over to me and i will review it and tell you exactly what is in there, good, bad, or downright ugly. Its your loss and gamble with a $40,000 engine otherwise.

(for other ppl reading this) ...
and BTW: No one here is trying to sell anyone anything .... I gain nothing whatsoever from it. What I say is geared towards simply trying to help bring light to how bad this stuff really is in our industry.

replyreply
(01-27-2021 )Rawze Wrote:  

you own a red engine. An Inline-6 adapter kit can be had from fleeabay for about $300 bucks or so. Should have been one of your first investments towards owning that thing so that your not reliant on others every time you get a hiccup.

If the place you mentioned is that garbage-can tuning company out of Colorado... then I can assure you that the program is going to be nothing but horrible engine-torturing garbage!. I have seen lots of their butcher-work in the past and the destruction and damage that it causes over time plenty of times.
After reading more on your site i see that. Pretty shitty to do this to a fresh motor and thats my fault for not doing my research and trusting these guys.
I bought a coolant crossover tube yesterday and that will be installed this morning. I'll get a copy of the program over to you. Its a {delete company in Michigan, name removed}. I should have the ECM swapped today as long as they have one here in town.
replyreply
(01-27-2021 )Billcummins6 Wrote:  After reading more on your site i see that. Pretty shitty to do this to a fresh motor and thats my fault for not doing my research and trusting these guys.
I bought a coolant crossover tube yesterday and that will be installed this morning. I'll get a copy of the program over to you. Its a {delete company in Michigan, name removed}. I should have the ECM swapped today as long as they have one here in town.

I PM'd you my email address and phone number. Gimme a call at some point. Everything I do for helping others is for free, so no, this is not an advertising plot. Just trying to get more detail on what you have there and what has been done so far.

replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.