Advice for newbie
02-03-2021, (Subject: Advice for newbie ) 
RE: Advice for newbie
(02-03-2021 )Thinman Wrote:  ... Is the oil pressure and unplugged egr valve a major concern?

Oil pressure sounds about normal to me for a truck that was not fully up to operating temp. At full operating temp it is usually 28~ish at idle and 36~ish while at highway speeds, oil temp at 215-218F, coolant at 185F.

Was there a check engine light on in the dash for the unplugged egr valve?. If not then it is likely custom-programmed and this could be considered a red flag.

Is this a CM870 or CM871? because 2007, it could be either one. Post picks of the engine area if unsure.

Does it have the VG turbo still on it? or some aftermarket garbage?

You did not mention the rear axle ratio. That contributes greatly towards engine longevity.

Pull the valve cover and inspect the overhead cams for excess wear or getting flaky at the tops of the lobes.

Was it recently inframed (another red flag)?.

Print an entire ecm report via cummins insite and post it on the forum here as well.

Overview pics posted here for opinions of the intake and exhaust aside of the engine and various parts of the truck is worth a thousand words too.

What price were they asking for it?

What type of trucking operations are you planning on doing? Dry-van/reefer?, flatbed?, heavy-haul? etc.. vs. what body style vs.trailer height, what rear ends, etc. the truck has. - Mismatched specs for your type of trucking operation can break a persons profitability in trucking.

Are you prepared to drop some money into a truck that is 13+ years old? --- I guarantee you it is going to need some work .. likely about $4,000 in parts and wrenching on it yourself just to get it somewhat reliable again. Things like wheel bearings, s-cams, shocks, u-joints, carrier bearing, gear box oil changes, running overhead valve adjustment, cab bushings, possible a new muffler due to clogging, and a whole host of other things by now.

(if it is a Cm870) - AND THEN there is the fact that it will not be allowed into California. - You plan on ever entering that state, this truck will not be allowed.

What is the HP and torque of the engine according to the data-plate?. What is it programmed to?

Last but not least, DO YOU have the $25,000 to have it inframed within the next 1.5 to 2 years?. This is a typical expectancy of any 700,000-mi truck that gets sold at its best ... at its worst, a high power level (1850 trq+), rear end ratio (tall rears like 3.36's, 2.79's etc. or taller), it needs one right now.

those are the things that run thru my head after reading your post.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: PuroCumminsPower

Messages In This Thread
Advice for newbie - Thinman - 02-03-2021,
RE: Advice for newbie - Rawze - 02-03-2021
RE: Advice for newbie - Rawze - 02-04-2021,
RE: Advice for newbie - Rawze - 02-04-2021,
RE: Advice for newbie - JimT - 02-05-2021,
RE: Advice for newbie - tree98 - 02-23-2021,

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.