2016 peterbilt 579
02-04-2021, (Subject: 2016 peterbilt 579 ) 
RE: 2016 peterbilt 579
3:36 gears, that truck has been lugged, and I would bet my left nut one if not two liners are rattling around in the block.

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: 65transport
(02-04-2021 )Rawze Wrote:  
(02-04-2021 )65transport Wrote:  3.36 gears, which is what my current truck has and I don’t mind it but I’d prefer something a little taller. Don’t want to be maxed out at 65-70.

I have 3.55's and I can drive 90+ mph if I wanted to. your statement does not make much sense.
ref: http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...3#pid17353

Sorry, I’d rather have 3.55s or 3.73s than the 3.36s I currently have. If I could get the truck bought for the right price and be able to re gear it id definitely do that.
Based on what you’ve said, it’s not worth even close to 65k and unless he’s willing to come down a significant amount, I should keep looking.
replyreply
That is ridiculous! $65,000? And it is going to need an in frame as soon as it rolls off the lot or out of his driveway, and HE KNOWS IT! I would not walk away, I would run away.

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply
Yeah.... it is a beautiful truck though he will sucker somebody just don’t want to be that guy which is why I asked about it.
I’m in the market for a different truck to haul livestock, I’m grossing 86-90k most of the time. I’ve got a $70k budget with some wiggle room. I’m fairly new to buying my own trucks just curious as to what specs I should realistically be shooting for?
replyreply
The gearing is the difficulty with these trucks, as is finding the correct transmission, which you are well aware of I am sure. You just have to keep hunting. One of the members here, Magard, haven't seen him in awhile hauls, livestock and hay up in Norther California. He went with a Volvo I believe, he did it for the fuel mileage. If me, and having lived through 2008 and 2009 when fuel shot through the roof, I would be looking for an aero truck that can get at least 7 if not 8 mpg. Something with a full, tall sleeper.

I have a feeling we will be seeing $4+ diesel here real soon, it is $3.35 cash here in PA right now...

Maybe a newer ProStar, really not impressed with the PACCAR products, they have really cheapened them, by a lot.

Volvo, they come with all of their issues in regards to the engineering and parts.

Freightliner, I honestly think they have a better product than PACCAR...

The Detroit motors seem to be solid, but are not easy to work on when issues arise.

You are in this to make money, not look good.

Too bad the CM-871 years are getting long in the tooth. Best motor Cummins has made in years, and incredibly easy to maintain and operate.

I would be looking for an Aero truck, even an older one, if you have that much cash, find one with the CM-871 that is in good shape but needs that in frame. Take it to Mr Hagg and let him go through it. Than have Rawze eyeball it and help you spend the rest of your money. At the end of it, you will have a million mile and reliable truck.

replyreply
(02-04-2021 )Waterloo Wrote:  The gearing is the difficulty with these trucks, as is finding the correct transmission, which you are well aware of I am sure. You just have to keep hunting. One of the members here, Magard, haven't seen him in awhile hauls, livestock and hay up in Norther California. He went with a Volvo I believe, he did it for the fuel mileage. If me, and having lived through 2008 and 2009 when fuel shot through the roof, I would be looking for an aero truck that can get at least 7 if not 8 mpg. Something with a full, tall sleeper.

I have a feeling we will be seeing $4+ diesel here real soon, it is $3.35 cash here in PA right now...

Maybe a newer ProStar, really not impressed with the PACCAR products, they have really cheapened them, by a lot.

Volvo, they come with all of their issues in regards to the engineering and parts.

Freightliner, I honestly think they have a better product than PACCAR...

The Detroit motors seem to be solid, but are not easy to work on when issues arise.

You are in this to make money, not look good.

Too bad the CM-871 years are getting long in the tooth. Best motor Cummins has made in years, and incredibly easy to maintain and operate.

I would be looking for an Aero truck, even an older one, if you have that much cash, find one with the CM-871 that is in good shape but needs that in frame. Take it to Mr Hagg and let him go through it. Than have Rawze eyeball it and help you spend the rest of your money. At the end of it, you will have a million mile and reliable truck.

I agree with everything you said, I grew up driving Volvo’s and I didn’t mind them, 5.5Mpg was the best I could get with a bull rack. last few years I’ve been in 379s. The most aerodynamically challenged truck you can buy, love the looks love the style, but I’m over it. I think you can still look good with some of these new Aeros though. I’ll just keep lookin! Thank you!
replyreply
It is tough out here to find the right truck for the job. So few owner operators are buying new trucks, and if they are, it is what is sitting on the lot, which means tall gears, and in many cases an automatic transmission.

The days of the true "Owner Operator" package are a thing of the past. The trucks with the 3:55 to 3:90 gearing, 18 and 13 speeds along with the full gauge package and the Horse Power to round it all out.

If you are doing hopper and bull wagon, a mid roof would be the best. I know with my mid roof ProStar, with a flat bed, I was getting 9 mpg on paper. Currently I am pulling doubles, with more than my fair share of mountain driving, so getting 6 mpg is now the norm.

Here is the beast...

The bumper really killed the fuel mileage, but I am keeping it, with two in frames under that hood, long story... You need an in frame, you take your truck to Mr Hag in Griffin GA, not to the corner Cummins shop or dealership.

I would be looking for something like a ProStar, so you will not be paying top dollar like you would for that Pete. It is easy to work on, and every bug in these things known to man has been covered on Rawze.com. Parts are plentiful and cheap if you know where to look.

And, you can do cool things to the interior...

I used to hate this truck, two in frames and more issues than Carter has liver pills. But after spending time with Rawze at his place in GA, it has finally come together. It is reliable, powerful and makes me money. That first one, reliability, now allows me to keep my money. I've done most everything on this truck myself, other than a few items out of my wheelhouse where I did not have the heavy equipment or tools to do the particular job. But, I found a good shop, with an honest mechanic for when the need arises.

Everything else I take care of myself, and at this point, there is not much to do other than GTO, Gas, Tires and Oil. She has all new virgin rubber, she ain't a fuel sipper any longer, and I just had the truck serviced today at the TA. I'm leased to LandStar, so the fuel is not so much of an issue at present, but I do try my best to get the most out of her as I can, which means leaving the cruise off, rpm's high, and turbo boost low. That is how you properly drive and make money with an ISX.

On the gearing, I thought of going to say a 3:55, but with the 18 speed, and having the motor running as it should be, the 3:42 gears are workable, so I am keeping them. The 18 speed makes all of the difference in the world, anything taller gear wise, like your 3:36, I would be swapping out to the 3:55. Just my personal take, as I do go fast at times playing beat the clock with the ELD... A sad state of affairs.

replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , barf , 65transport , Toolguy
02-05-2021, (Subject: 2016 peterbilt 579 ) 
I'll second the nomination for a ProStar. I've driven a few volvo's, a couple freightliners and my current pete. My opinion is that the ProStar has the best overall design. Not the most beautiful, but it got aero, decent build quality, internationals are fairly easy to find parts (unlike the closed source nature of paccar). If I was shopping around for a truck today it would be a ProStar with an ISX (probably a 2350) with an 18 speed manual and something around 3.70 rears. I have a 13 speed now and it's great, but the last (highest) 2 gears on the low side can be tough when you have weight and/or a good hill. I have 3.36 rears and I can run 70 mph in 12th gear without hitting 1800rpm. 13th gear is basically useless under 68mph (1450rpm). Although, 99% of the time I'm cruising around 62mph at 1550rpm. I'd love to regear mine, but not worth it unless I have to replace at least one of the rears. I've been averaging about 7.5mpg running between PA and New England/NYC, so i can't complain too much.

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: 65transport , Toolguy

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.