Moving Home
08-11-2021, (Subject: Moving Home ) 
RE: Moving Home
(08-11-2021 )RocketScott Wrote:  Well that kinda sucked...

Got done rebuilding the engine today. Put the wiring harness on and finished up a few small details. Tomorrow morning I'm going to beef up the cradle it's sitting in, strap it down to the trailer, then take it back to the truck

Hard to tell what was going on with the engine before. I replaced the crank with a used crank that just needed a polish, the cam is new, I rebuilt the cam followers. So with all those new parts I'm not sure how well I can compare the injection timing between old and new. All the old parts 'should' have been the same as what I put back in, in theory

The gaskets on the cam followers that I took off were much thicker than what the rebuild needed. Originally the stack was around .050 and what I ended up at was .024. If all the other parts are equal that means the engine was far too advanced. I also rebuilt the step timing controller and calibrated it. Adjusting it on the bench with air pressure isn't the same as on the truck with oil but I'm pretty sure it was way off too. It was staying in advanced mode for too long

All this is probably just an amusement to you ISX guys. I hope I'm not being a poser by painting the engine red. I hate dark colored engines almost as much as cummins poop beige. The 444xt color was originally called bluk or bluck. Black with a little bit of blue in it. I guess that was to hide the oil leaks

Looks awesome and hats off to you for doing it yourself.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: RocketScott
(08-11-2021 )RocketScott Wrote:  ...
The gaskets on the cam followers that I took off were much thicker than what the rebuild needed. Originally the stack was around .050 and what I ended up at was .024. If all the other parts are equal that means the engine was far too advanced. I also rebuilt the step timing controller and calibrated it. Adjusting it on the bench with air pressure isn't the same as on the truck with oil but I'm pretty sure it was way off too. It was staying in advanced mode for too long

All this is probably just an amusement to you ISX guys. I hope I'm not being a poser by painting the engine red. I hate dark colored engines almost as much as cummins poop beige. The 444xt color was originally called bluk or bluck. Black with a little bit of blue in it. I guess that was to hide the oil leaks

That engine should not run more than about +8 BTDC under full operating load in the mid-band. +11 BTDC is pushing things on the upper end, considering its lower compression ratio and longer piston rods vs. newer engines.

Install a Pyro and an oil temp gauge into the truck and you can ball-park weather or not the engine is in the right injection timing ranges or not.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
Rawze, what would someone be looking to see on those 2 gauges in order to tell if the timing is right?

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
(08-11-2021 )tree98 Wrote:  Rawze, what would someone be looking to see on those 2 gauges in order to tell if the timing is right?

about 1100F max on the pyro and about 230F or so max on the oil temps.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: RocketScott
Would this be at stock power settings only? Do pyro Temps climb higher than that with more power? My 870 that uni did @650 hp. Seemed like you could probably burn the thing down when loaded if you got on it.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
08-12-2021, (Subject: Moving Home ) 
(08-11-2021 )tree98 Wrote:  Looks good!!! You run into any problems getting parts?

Constantly. It's *mostly* wasn't because the parts weren't available. It just took forever to ship then get here

My engine kit was shipped from PAI in CA, should have been here in three days. In stead it got lost for a while before showing up in Pennsylvania. Took another week+ to get back here from there. R+L could care less

The lower gasket set I ordered took three weeks to get here. I made three trips to the local fedex ground center before they could find it last Sunday morning

I think the worst experience was the injector follower pivot pins. None were available. Cummins said they had one in Canada and four in Europe. Arkansas Valley Diesel claimed they had 24 in stock but wanted $38 each for them (cummins was $24, aftermarket was <$10). Bit the bullet and ordered six. Three days later I get a package from them that's a bag with a box in it. The box was that distinctive chinese cardboard and had the shipping labels pulled off. I'm fairly certain they overnighted the parts from china then shipped them to me at a substantial markup. The parts were in a bag with the part number hand written on it
replyreply
08-12-2021, (Subject: Moving Home ) 
(08-11-2021 )Rawze Wrote:  That engine should not run more than about +8 BTDC under full operating load in the mid-band. +11 BTDC is pushing things on the upper end, considering its lower compression ratio and longer piston rods vs. newer engines.

Install a Pyro and an oil temp gauge into the truck and you can ball-park weather or not the engine is in the right injection timing ranges or not.

I understand what you're saying but I don't understand how to quantify it. Setting the timing with the timing jig compares the push rod travel with the piston travel

The measurement for injection timing is in thousands of an inch compared to a set point in the piston travel. There may be a way to convert that into degrees but I'm not smart enough to figure that out
replyreply
03-11-2024, (Subject: Moving Home ) 
Last year, I had to move back to where I grew up, and I had a lot of stuff to move after living somewhere else for almost ten years. Figuring out how to move everything was pretty overwhelming. That's when I found this moving company called threemovers, and they were awesome. They did everything - packing up my stuff, moving it, and even unpacking it at my new place. They also had this option to store my things for a while, which was perfect because I couldn't move into my new house right away. They can help with moving stuff not just in your town but also if you're moving far away or even to another country.
replyreply
03-12-2024, (Subject: Moving Home ) 
(03-11-2024 )protoraw Wrote:  I also want to move vut for my studies. But I find it so hard because I have to hire a moving company and I don't know which one. Has anyone moved recently?

Moving companies ... especially for long distances... are most all equally bad. - Most of them these days will hire temporary labor from places like labor-ready to do the packing/unpacking. You may get someone ok.. or may get someone lazy and don't care what they break .. or sometimes even worse.. may get a drug-addict that will steal everything they think they can get away with.

An alternative would be maybe go with something like PODS? .. pack everything up yourself, or with a hired hand or 2 for the day that you can choose and keep an eye on yourself. Lock it up properly .. and unpack it on the other end when its delivered?.

replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.