Looking for a good shop in the dfw area
02-07-2021, (Subject: Looking for a good shop in the dfw area ) 
Looking for a good shop in the dfw area
I live in Lewisville tx I’m looking for a good shop with a good reputation I put my truck in the shop last week to get a abs module fixed a overhead adjustment as I’m almost at my 100,000 mile mark for the new engine and to get a exhaust leak fixed the shop had my truck for 7 days and all they did was fix the exhaust leak never touched the overhead and abs module I’m looking to get it back into the shop next week as I’ll be back in Texas by then can anybody help me with this I’m sick of wasting money and another thing they charged me because they took off part and put it back together because I booked a load based on a voicemail that they left saying my truck would be ready on Thursday I booked a load To pick up Friday and they didn’t even start the job they wanted me to cancel my load because they never started
replyreply
RE: Looking for a good shop in the dfw area
I only know of as couple places in the whole of the 48-states that I could even remotely trust, nonetheless actually recommend ... and they aren't in texas.

that is my experience any ways.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
(02-07-2021 )TSmith Wrote:  I live in Lewisville tx I’m looking for a good shop with a good reputation I put my truck in the shop last week to get a abs module fixed a overhead adjustment as I’m almost at my 100,000 mile mark for the new engine and to get a exhaust leak fixed the shop had my truck for 7 days and all they did was fix the exhaust leak never touched the overhead and abs module I’m looking to get it back into the shop next week as I’ll be back in Texas by then can anybody help me with this I’m sick of wasting money and another thing they charged me because they took off part and put it back together because I booked a load based on a voicemail that they left saying my truck would be ready on Thursday I booked a load To pick up Friday and they didn’t even start the job they wanted me to cancel my load because they never started

Well, Rawze showed me how to do an overhead, I bought the tools and have done two so far, the tools are cheap, Tractor Supply, AutoZone and Amazon for the 3/4" extension and big monkey bar to turn the motor over. Rawze has a video on how to do an overhead, if you have a CM-2250 or newer motor, it is even easier, as you only have the exhaust cam to work with.

If you do not have a Cummins Quickserve account, open one. It is free, and all of the instructions and parts lists are there for FREE to do any repairs on that motor of yours, use it. https://quickserve.cummins.com/info/index.html

The ABS module, that could be anything, a bad sensor, rare in my opinion, a dirty tone ring, or something as simple as a fuse in the fuse block. I would start with the fuses and work my way towards the tone ring, or the bearings are shot in one of your axles, or simply need to be torqued to factory specs, which is more than likely the case. How many miles on the truck?

The exhaust leak, I think I could fix that, if not, run it up to the local TA and let them have at it, a few hours of my time and what, a hundred bucks?

That overhead at a dealer is roughly $400, you can buy the tools for half of that, or less. And if you do it, you know it was done correctly.

The ABS, do some research on it, I had issues and discovered it was a tarnished fuse, cost me $1 and it was fixed.

The exhaust leak, I had one of those too, I work for LandStar, went in for their forced quarterly inspection, the TA shop found it, I had no clue it was leaking, they fixed it, along with a bad front wheel seal. I was very happy about that forced inspection.

Bottom line, the stuff you are waiting weeks for, you could handle in a day or two in your driveway, with a case of beer and a few rather inexpensive tools, and elbow grease. Time to get proactive brother and take the bull by the horns.

I remember when I did my first EGR tuneup, pulling the crap off my motor, I was like WTF! What if I screw up, or something breaks! Well, nothing broke, and my little craftsman tool set sufficed... Then the delete... I did that by myself in the driveway, with help from another forum member... Fast forward... Long story... Everyone here knows it, spent $38,000 for a botched in frame. Rawze calls me and says bring it down, we will rebuild it in the driveway... I was off, and at his house in a few days of the invite. Well, Rawze will not rebuild your motor, but he helps when the need arises... And he did. This was still on me... I got plenty dirty, greasy and covered in oil more than a few times. And am a better person for the experience and the pride of knowing I did this. Think about that? How many drivers do you know that can even change out a headlamp bulb? Don't be that guy.

From being scared to do a simple EGR Tuneup, to a full delete in my own driveway, to rebuilding my own motor at a complete strangers house in Griffin GA.... I only knew Rawze from this site, never met him, just posted my troubles here... He called me after a post about my issues, I was at the local TA, Dexter Michigan, when I posted, two minutes later he called, Zen, his wife, said get my rear end down there and get this POS fixed. And I was on my way...

And I did just that... We tore into the truck the very minute I arrived, and then the journey began... With Cummins Quickserve and Rawze's videos... I rebuilt this motor, of course with Rawze's help when it came to the cutting of the block, setting of the head and dropping the pistons in, it all came together. 100,000 miles later and she runs like a raped ape, no issues, knock on wood.

If you cannot do what needs to be done, learn how to do this stuff yourself as many of us here have out of sheer desperation and the potential loss of everything we own and hold dear, get a load to Atlanta, and take the truck to Mr Hag, Haggai Automotive and Diesel repair in Griffin GA, just south of the Atlanta Speedway, he will fix you up and not empty your wallet.

My suggestion, learn how to repair your own stuff. You will be ahead of the game, and will no longer depend on folks that could care less about you and your family when it comes to your FINANCIAL well being, -- shi#t or get off the pot.

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hhow55 , tree98 , Rawze , SquareOne , TSmith , Roysbigtoys , JimT
02-08-2021, (Subject: Looking for a good shop in the dfw area ) 
I think that is my issue about doing it on my own I’m afraid to mess it up worst I’m not against turning wrenches myself if someone can guide me throw it though I’m willing to learn because your right about me being able to trust my own work I just wouldn’t know where to start as far as the repair I’ll look for those videos from Rawze and if someone is willing to help me I’ll be back in Texas from the 18th until I finish my phone number is {phone number removed.PM user for number} any help would be greatly appreciated I talked to haggai once before I wasn’t able to stop by the shop though I was recommended there by another driver
replyreply
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZ08qn4...LSQ/videos

A link to all rawze videos is at the top of the home page.

As far as being scared... grow up and be a man. Even if your a woman.

1st step. Build some confidence by learning everything you can about what your gonna do.

2nd step. Get it through your head that your gonna check, recheck and triple check that you did every step of the way correctly.

3rd step. Get it through your head that failure is gonna be the only result if you rush. The only time frame for the 1st time is gonna be exactly as long as it takes to do it right.

4th step. Revert back to what I originally said. Grow up, suck it up, sack up and be a man. Start and complete the task you set out to do.

Every last one of us has been nervous, scared, intimidated and down right petrified to do a lot of 1st projects. You have to over come that and take control. Or you will ALWAYS be at the mercy of others.

We're here to help and I can tell you everything you listed that you need done is all within the scope of any person that understands how mechanics work and can disassemble and reassemble simple things. You just need to get past your fear and go aquire the knowledge and tools to do these relatively simple tasks. Just start and don't look back.

If you run in to questions, come on back. We've gladly helped people with some of the dumbest questions. So don't be shy. This is how people learn and grow.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hookliftpete , TSmith , Pd6cas2
I too tend to over think things long before actually jumping in and actually trying it. This forum has become my go-to first stop for repair info, not just engines. Next I usually start searching YouTube for some kind of visual references or tutorials. Mostly to help familiarize myself with what I should expect to see and sometimes learn about the things that I might not be able to see. Then I procrastinate some more until I eventually get off my butt and get my hands dirty. 99% of the time I walk away thinking that it was much easier then I envisioned it to be. Unless I'm working on my back underneath the truck, then I'm wishing I had a proper shop to work in (with a lift or pit) instead of my gravel driveway.

This guy on YouTube also has a bunch of videos for non-engine maintenance. Maybe not the perfectionist Rawze is ;) but he can sure talk a lot and it's good reference for someone who's never seen/touched some of these things. He's a guy working on his own truck, he's not trying to sell anything, and when he screws up you get to see it and then watch him fix it.

There's plenty of other videos on youtube that are helpful and plenty that are crap. Never trust a single video/person on youtube. Always seek out manufacturer or OEM information and procedures. But, if you're like me, you need that visual reference to help make sense of the written repair procedures that you've never done before or components you've never seen before.

You didn't mention what kind of truck (year/make/model) or anything else. There's usually people on here that can and will help you, just need to ask and provide the information needed.

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Chamberpains , TSmith , Waterloo
02-13-2021, (Subject: Looking for a good shop in the dfw area ) 
Thanks sir I will I’m going to need y’all help and it’s good to know I can come on here to ask questions because I will definitely do that
replyreply
I’m going to check him out to see also my truck is a 09 w900 thanks to the guys on here i found out my actual engine model they’ve been a great help to me and it’s a great thing to know they still will and not make me feel stupid cause I don’t know much about mechanical problems/work
replyreply
Meh, feeling stupid is a part of learning around here. We all get a good dose of it from time to time. If you worth half a grain of salt you'll plow right through that feeling when it sets in and get whatever you set out to do, done.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.