Paccar MX Engine
02-14-2021, (Subject: Paccar MX Engine ) 
RE: Paccar MX Engine
As I have said.

When they run they run great.
When they break they are expensive
When they have issues diagnosis is an absolute pain at times and requires expensive software do do very little.
Paccar gives very little information out on diagnosis. Even their techs struggle on alot.
Deletes for them are usually bad, and will make diagnosis 100x harder as unless you have expensive software (not davie) and hardware to pull the file and see what's inside you have no clue what ghost codes are hiding. They are extremely sensitive to anything power related as well. Seen firewall fuse boxes throw about every code in the book.

But like I said core engine is good.

Buy a Detroit if you don't want a cummins. They a have problems but some you can actually fix yourself.

And if you *fix* the paccar a dealership won't touch it and most independent shops have no clue and few have software.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: LookAtMyPeter_____bilt , schISM , Camstyn
02-15-2021, (Subject: Paccar MX Engine ) 
I second most of what Zhidden just said. I’m going on 3 years with a MX-13 and really no complaints. I bought it thinking eventually someone would come out with a Davie fix and I could work on it myself but so far nothing and my local Peterbilt dealer is pretty clueless even with basic troubleshooting. It’s quiet, fuel efficient and starts every morning without a sputter in these below zero temps we’ve been having but.....unless Rawze starts working on some medicine for these engines soon I’ll be back into a Cummins in a year or two.

User's Signature: That’s pronounced, /ˈs(k)izəm/
replyreply
 Thanks given by: LookAtMyPeter_____bilt
02-24-2021, (Subject: Paccar MX Engine ) 
Ditto. Zhidden nailed it. I had a 2014 579 with the 500hp MX13 and when problems reared up, it had to go to the dealer. The techs at the dealer have to communicate with Paccat during the entire diagnosis and repair processes and follow their guidance, step by step. It can be very tedious and time consuming.

I had a couple of injector issues, luckily I was under warranty as the process would have cost a small fortune. Otherwise, I had a lot of aftertreatment and sensor issues which are not exclusive to the Paccar engine. I’d be very hesitant to buy another one as I can’t have down time, I have to rent a truck when mine is down. I need quick diagnostics/repairs and you won’t get that with a Paccar, warranty or not. I’m back in a Cummins for those reasons.

Besides all that, I thought it was a good engine. Too bad Paccar makes it a nightmare to own one as an o/o.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.