Hub Oil Level
03-07-2021, (Subject: Hub Oil Level ) 
Hub Oil Level
Background: 1984 Fruehauf trailer with a Pro-Par axle

The hub caps have a line molded into the plastic but I can't find an explanation of what it is. Is it a "Fill to Here" mark or a "Needs More Lube" mark. How much oil is enough, or too much?

replyreply
RE: Hub Oil Level
I haven't seen a hubcap like that in a hot minute, but if I remember correctly it's is a minimum fill mark...that's the minimum needed to keep both wheel bearings submerged in oil. I suppose that makes the maximum the fill plug hole.

User's Signature: 2010 T2000, CM871, 13spd, 977k, tanker yanker
Overhauled @ 927k
replyreply
 Thanks given by: RocketScott
the marks are at the "critically low" indicator.

just fill it to the bottom edge of the black plastic and your good to go.

./uploads/202103/post_2_1615094781_a938b74cbcc7dec2c679189064f67ae9.jpg
(image is from an old Timken bearing service catalog).

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: RocketScott , Toolguy
Thanks guys

That makes sense
replyreply
Dhirocz you being a tanker yanker figured you would still have some of those type hubs still on the road.

Outfit I work for sure does, lots of trailers we still use were built in the 80s.

So pull several customer trailers that were built in the 60s and 70s.

User's Signature: 2015 Kenworth T660
replyreply
The carrier I'm leased to is trying to change from 'oil bath' style hubs to greased hubs. I am not a fan of the greased hubs. I know why they like them, less chance of an OOS condition if you blow a seal, it won't drench your shoes in oil...but the rolling resistance on the greased ones SUCK. Half of it is probably them setting the wheel bearings too tight.

I've noticed 1/2 mpg difference between these trailers unloaded. It's rediculous. The worst ones I find often low on air as well. Ugh.

User's Signature: 2010 T2000, CM871, 13spd, 977k, tanker yanker
Overhauled @ 927k
replyreply
03-08-2021, (Subject: Hub Oil Level ) 
Greased ones can't possibly last as long.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
(03-07-2021 )dhirocz Wrote:  The carrier I'm leased to is trying to change from 'oil bath' style hubs to greased hubs. I am not a fan

The carrier I am leased onto does the same thing. they have more than 5,000 trailers. The reason i was told by them is that they got tired of drivers not checking the hubs to see if they have run dry... and then it ends up on the side of the highway somewhere with a spindle chewed up... or even worse. the trailer catches fire.

They told me that it is cheaper to pre-pack em, then occasionally push some grease in em when a service is done to the trailer every 3-4 months, than it is to try to convince drivers to pay attention to trailer problems like a leaking hub seal, etc... and it ending up at the mercy of an expensive repair somewhere.

============

I am not saying this is an o.k. practice or not ... I am just conveying what I have heard others say about it is all.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: dhirocz , Toolguy
I'm sure they have to idiot proof a lot of stuff

Someone went nuts with a welder on this trailer at some point. Not only was the chain for the spare tire rack welded too it but the padlock was welded to the chain. Same with the padlock on one of the pallet racks. Guess the company got tired of people losing them
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Toolguy

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.