What are International truck issues?
03-17-2021, (Subject: What are International truck issues? ) 
What are International truck issues?
I have been spaculating to buy an International ( most likely) prosper with a cummins engine. Some of my friends recommended to stay away from international due to some unknown problems this truck has and that's why compare to other makes this truck is cheaper in the market.
Is there any credible evidence for such claims?
Thanks in advance for your comments
replyreply
RE: What are International truck issues?
Well, they're known to have electrical gremlins. Those are solved by replacing the fuses every few years as they tarnish and lose connection causing voltage drops. They are also finicky about the voltage from the alternator. Minimum on a prostar is 185 amp alternator. Anything less and you run the risk if not having enough power to supply all its various computers causing ghost issues that come and go.

Other than that...mine has only been down twice and that was for a inframe at 640k and a failed ecm after 1.1 million miles of reliable service.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: smorgan87 , alborz
(03-17-2021 )Nilao Wrote:  Well, they're known to have electrical gremlins. Those are solved by replacing the fuses every few years as they tarnish and lose connection causing voltage drops. They are also finicky about the voltage from the alternator. Minimum on a prostar is 185 amp alternator. Anything less and you run the risk if not having enough power to supply all its various computers causing ghost issues that come and go.

Other than that...mine has only been down twice and that was for a inframe at 640k and a failed ecm after 1.1 million miles of reliable service.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: alborz
(03-17-2021 )alborz Wrote:  I have been spaculating to buy an International ( most likely) prosper with a cummins engine. Some of my friends recommended to stay away from international due to some unknown problems this truck has and that's why compare to other makes this truck is cheaper in the market.
Is there any credible evidence for such claims?
Thanks in advance for your comments

Max-force engine that came in some of them are indeed problematic. Even international started changing out max-force engines with cummins when there were warranty claims towards the end because they were so troublesome.

HOWEVER..,. Prostar w cummins...

something easy to work on is your friend in today's trucking.

prostar wiring diagrams are on internet for free. Everything to work on cummins is too. - this = money not spent at rip=-off shops over and over. Software + keymaker for engine is on interweb too if ya look for it.

Also prostar is made to be worked on. Everything on them is made to be easily taken apart or worked on. It only even takes about 20mins or so to pull the whole front structure out of one. I have yet to find anything what was a real pain to work on in my prostar. - Sure a tight space here and there, but everything accessible that I have ever had to do.

Prostar is not a rough and tumble truck... it is a big car meant for the highways, not the back roads that would beat up on a truck. A person certanly would not want to take one off-roads into a logging or rough quarry operation. Treat it as a highway vehicle and it will only be good to you though.

I have 1.4 million miles on mine and its still going strong!. A Prostar with a CM871 engine is in the top tier of being one of the most profitable trucks on the market today. Anyone who would tell you to stay away from one that has a cummins engine in it is a complete idiot!. Nothing on the roads can beat them in fuel efficiency when they are set up for high fuel mileage.

Personally, I cannot think of any other brand of truck that I would rather own... Simply because it is highest in fuel efficiency in its class, I know every inch of the engine, I have every bit of wiring and other info for the truck too (freely avail by international). etc.etc.etc. - A person can't beat that with a stick and it has saved me tens of thousands in repair costs and down time just being able to work on everything on it all by myself.

just my opinion.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: barf , alborz
Ive had 2 of em and liked em. As metioned above the electrical gremlins and voltage sensitivity, the older ones dont remember what year but at least 2011 had a stupid ac system that failed regularly (my 2015 was different and had no issues). Up until 2019 or 2020 they were built with air struts (shock inside of air bag) for cab suspension which are crap and expensive. That setup can be swapped to a 4 bag/2 shock pro ride system for about 800 bucks and installed in a day, few hrs if you got a big arse 3/4 impact. Beyond that its a good all around highway truck. Ive even worked pipeline and hauled 100k lb grain loads out the fields in mine without problems. Hope it helps.
replyreply
Same here with the ProStar, easy to work on and everything is available to make taking care of the truck pretty simple. If I was to run out and buy a new truck, it would more than likely be that new LT, same as the ProStar, just more plastic to tear out of the interior.

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply
Very happy with my 2015 Prostar / CM2350. Alot of space & very comfortable. The only gripe that I have is the parts on the International side are somewhat pricey, at least VS my Freightliner century. I guess theyre trying to make up all the losses from the Maxxforce.
replyreply
03-18-2021, (Subject: What are International truck issues? ) 
(03-17-2021 )amermextrucker Wrote:  Very happy with my 2015 Prostar / CM2350. Alot of space & very comfortable. The only gripe that I have is the parts on the International side are somewhat pricey, at least VS my Freightliner century. I guess theyre trying to make up all the losses from the Maxxforce.
Aftermarket..aftermarket..aftermarket! Navistar will bankrupt you on parts. Ex. Cab level valve nav:$200, aftermarket:$40. Find yourself a dealer that stocks aftermarket parts.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , amermextrucker
03-18-2021, (Subject: What are International truck issues? ) 
Prostar and cummins are about the best match, you sure dont want a freightliner.... now those have all kinds of criters in the wires
cab module, chassis module and when they stop talking to each other .... dear god
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.