Iron high in sample
03-31-2021, (Subject: Iron high in sample ) 
RE: Iron high in sample
Update:

Was unable to make time to replace the oil pump last week, but did purchase one.

In the meanwhile, put 700 miles on the nose on the new oil, then drained it and took sample (left filter on), and refilled. Got results from this sample, all the wear metals are stable except for iron again. Iron was at 24ppm after 700 miles, usually it's been 4-8ppm.

It occurred to me when I received the report that the full oil filter that I did not change, would have contributed to the iron, as it's holding 1/2 gallon of 'old' oil, but the iron is still elevated way high.

Was also interesting, Calcium, Magnesium, Zinc and Phosphorus were significantly higher. I assume that's because the oil only had 700 miles on it.

Lab also noted .52% fuel in oil. That has never been seen before. Not sure what to make of that. (lab notes at bottom of post, full report attached)

As far as I can tell, engine uses no coolant, was changed last year, oil consumption (2-3qts) at about 5-6k miles has been stable, fuel mileage is where it should be (8.5ish mpg).

I'm hesitant to dig into the oil pump, as pressure at idle is 20psi (normal) and at 1500rpm is 55psi (also normal).

I have not looked at the fuel pump, but I suppose I should. It was rebuilt this time last year (about 30k miles since).

Would the air compressor be a possibility? Seems to be fine, just put a new dryer on, as one of the vales was sticking open occasionally.

I'm also trying to find a new harmonic/crankshaft damper, as cummins does not make them any longer. If the damper was going south, would it cause the crankshaft to wear badly that quickly?

Thanks for any input. 99% of the time, I only have saturday and sunday to get any major work done on this truck, as this is the only truck for all of the dumpsters.

"THE VISCOSITY IS SLIGHTLY LOW BASED ON 15W-40 OIL SPECS. 0.5% OF FUEL IS ACCEPTABLE FOR A TYPICAL SERVICE INTERVAL. PLEASE CONFIRM WEIGHT/BLEND OF OIL USED IN THIS
COMPARTMENT. ENSURE OIL TRANSFER IS NOT POSSIBLE/OCCURING. VISCOSITY CAN BE AFFECTED BY SHEARING OF THE OIL AS WELL. SINCE THE OIL WAS CHANGED AT SAMPLE TIME,
RESAMPLE IN 3,000 MILES TO CONTINUE TO MONITOR AND ENSURE CONTAMINATION/DEBRIS NO LONGER REMAINS ."

.pdf  second lab sample1.PDF (Size: 95.34 KB / Downloads: 177)
replyreply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Iron high in sample - hookliftpete - 03-31-2021

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.