Factory new air compressor!!
03-18-2021, (Subject: Factory new air compressor!! ) 
Factory new air compressor!!
Hello all, I have a 2012 CM2250, 810k, 500hp, in a Volvo. I just finished re-assembly from tearing down for a leaking flywheel gasket. Let me just say it was a huge job to do by myself....huge! If it leaks again I might just head for Mr Haggs!

Anyway, I bought a brand new Cummins air compressor that took forever to get straight from the assembly line in Memphis. I am in the process of priming and painting it. I think the old compressor caused the flywheel gasket to leak by way of putting compressed air into the crankcase. It was original with 810k and when I got it off I could easily spin it over by hand.

So my question is, on the CM2250 is there any timing that is done for the compressor when it is installed? There are no timing marks at all on it, and it is very difficult to turn over by hand. Also QuickServe says nothing of timing in the install instructions, but I remember something in one of Rawze’s videos about timing a new compressor on the 871 engine.

Thanks

User's Signature: Anti-seize EVERYTHING, Except injectors...Use Petroleum Jelly!!!
replyreply
RE: Factory new air compressor!!
./uploads/202103/post_856_1616113940_b5afd83ec25fc58f03df4e0556ddb7cc.jpg

Are you sure there is not an x?

User's Signature: It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , JMBT
Ahh, I have the divot in the case but I did not see the X on the gear face. If I have the X what does it correlate to? Line up the X with divot and then what? Where does the engine need to be barred to for install?

And more importantly why doesn’t QuickServe reference any of this?

All I can find on QuickServe is this, (see pic), but it doesn’t seem right.

Sorry it’s sideways.

User's Signature: Anti-seize EVERYTHING, Except injectors...Use Petroleum Jelly!!!
replyreply
03-19-2021, (Subject: Factory new air compressor!! ) 
The 871 and previous compressors have a different mounting surface compared to newer models. This is a only 2 mount bolt/studs on a 2250 and newer.

User's Signature: Born and raised in Vyskonsin on milk, cheese, bread, and beer!
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JMBT
With struggle comes strength. Flywheel housing gaskets are no joke a huge job to do. (Especially in a volvo) Congratulations on tackling it. You are now miles ahead of the person you were before doing it. I guarantee you can now tell a pile of people that "if I can do this than I guarantee you can do that" when it comes to other less intensive jobs.

I believe the kids call this "leveling up"
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hookliftpete , JMBT , JimT
(03-18-2021 )JMBT Wrote:  Ahh, I have the divot in the case but I did not see the X on the gear face. If I have the X what does it correlate to? Line up the X with divot and then what? Where does the engine need to be barred to for install?

And more importantly why doesn’t QuickServe reference any of this?

All I can find on QuickServe is this, (see pic), but it doesn’t seem right.

Sorry it’s sideways.

http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...3#pid60593

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
Yes the newer compressors does not come with x on gear and there is no way to time it and cummins says you dont need to. EVEN though not long ago it was needed... So We all are lost so to speak...
replyreply
Thanks for all the info guys! Well I guess I will just have to install without timing. Doesn’t seem right but....

It still in paint right now, but should be dry by this afternoon.

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply
(03-19-2021 )Mr Hagg Wrote:  Yes the newer compressors does not come with x on gear and there is no way to time it and cummins says you dont need to. EVEN though not long ago it was needed... So We all are lost so to speak...

someone should then figure out the crank-shaft position of the pump itself from one that still has the notch on it then, so someone could time theirs if they wanted to.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JimT

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.