Looking for help/advice on truck ...
08-23-2023, (Subject: Looking for help/advice on truck ... ) 
RE: Looking for help/advice on truck ...
(05-14-2022 )StormChaser Wrote:  I have been an O/O for 2 years. I have a 2017 Kenworth T680 with an ISX 15 550hp engine. 13 speed manuel Eaton Fuller Transmission, with 3.32 rear end. I am at my wits end with this truck.

I have put over $50,000 in repairs on this truck since Thanksgiving 2021. I cannot seem to keep it out of the shop for longer than a couple of days. I have utilized independent mechanics, small mom and pop shops, as well as Kenworth and Cummins shops. And the same issues continue to resurface.

I have replaced my water pump twice now (less than a year apart). I replaced my coolant reservoir because it started to leak from every possible location. I have had my valve cover gasket replaced twice. Once by independent mechanic, once by cummins in Orlando. When Orlando replaced it, they also replaced injector 1. The valve cover gasket is leaking again.

During last winter I got stuck up in ND in -34 degrees and a windchill of -56. My truck kept wanting to gel up. (Even with #1 diesel and 911 anti-gel.) I had to replace all fuel filters twice. After getting out of there, my turbo began to whistle. I took it to a mechanic recommended by Pittsburgh Power. I still had good pressure and pulling power, but the whistle was driving me crazy.

We realized that after idling the truck for about 10 minutes, the whistle would go away. That mechanic tried to tell me that the turbo blades could have gotten stuck in a new channel because of the cold. But If that was the case, why would it stop whistling. He took off the cover and we inspected it together. No excess play, and completely dry. They couldn't figure it out, charged me for an evaluation and sent me on my way.

I then noticed after a few months that I could see Grey smoke coming from the passenger side near the firewall whenever the truck did a regen. Even a passive regen. Ok I'm thinking exhaust manifold leak. Looked, couldn't find one. Went to a shop, they couldn't find one. Now I have another shop tell me that my EGR is leaking, which you can see some soot coming from near the EGR onto the exhaust manifold. There is some coolant on the downward pipe. But I do not know if that is a leak, or simply coolant from when my reservoir went. Which splattered coolant everywhere.

He also told me that it's probably leaking into the dpf filters, and that is the smoke I am seeing during regen. But I thought that it would be white smoke. It also doesn't explain why it's coming from near the dpf on the passenger side. Is it leaking from the dpf itself? Is there another exhaust leak he didn't mention? All I know is if his evaluation (done without removing anything or pressure testing or ANYTHING) if his evaluation is correct, it's thousands of more dollars that I do not have.

Then there is my A/C. The same day I replace my coolant reservoir, my A/C quits working. I take it to a tech, who after charging it says that the compressor isn't even pumping, that I need a new one. Well it had been 366 days since I replaced the compressor. I spent my last dime on the reservoir, so the AC had to wait. Finally take it to another mechanic (the same one who diagnosed the EGR) He says after draining and testing for leaks that it didn't have enough freon or oil in the system. That the system is fine, that the real problem is the controller on the dash. Even though it will go to different degrees of hot with no issue, and the sleeper is also pumping hot air.

The point of the matter is I have been to so many mechanics. Some seem competent, others not so much. I have had problems fixed, only to return again later. I have had crooks charge me ridiculous fees for simple fixes. Blocking me in their shops until I paid. I have lost trust and faith in the dealerships and the mom and pops. I am trying to find a mechanic I can trust. I joined so that I can educate myself more. So that I can do more repairs myself. But it is also nice to have a set of experienced eyes and hands on a job in certain situations. With the state of the economy, my truck continuing to break down is only making a difficult situation dire.

Wow well that's a lot. I have done a lot of repairs(12 year mech) and don't get many comebacks from my owner ops I work on. So please hear me out.(I work at a mom and pop shop) I have only had to replace a water pump on an x15 twice. There isnt much for issues there unless they cut corners replacing it. (Not cleaning surfaces properly or only replacing half of it(it can be separated and replace that way depending on the leak) if it was under a year it should have been warrantied. Coolant tanks on paccar for OEM are out of line I do recommend aftermarket for these there are many brands out there to choose from. The valve cover job is pretty cut and dry to seal ie laziness or damaged the seals. Gel ups are common for wintertime, but shouldn't happen if you use straight #1( lesser fuel economy more spendy but less down time ) if you choose #2 idle it in those temps. You don't have much choice. The whistle I would only assume a boost leak, and a simple pressure test is 45 mins of labor and much cheaper than blowing 6k on a turbo job. We have trucks with 700k original turbos. I have seen ripped boots on the egr connections though. That does happen too, but again way cheaper than an EGR as well. The grey smoke is very common when an exhaust leak is present. ( between the head[manifold gaskets] to the DOC ) when doing a parked Regen look for smoking coming from that area(not the end of the pipe). If there is ever a question as to leaking coolant from an EGR cooler get an oil sample done immediately. This can save you big big money for $30 test.(go some where reputable) as for the AC issue that's kind of a crap chute. Compressors are cheap and it happens. Many ac manufacturers recommend purging the system if even a condenser fails. Compressor failures go even further by replacing basically everything.(had one this week with major compressor failure that is getting a complete system) there are frequent issues with ac controllers too. They are data link on paccar trucks, so they can be tricky to diagnose, but a hotwired compressor would have easily told him a compressor isn't the cause for issue.
Hope it helps for further issue.
replyreply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Looking for help/advice on truck ... - Dbrix - 08-23-2023

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.