Fuel leak from top of gear pump head
04-18-2021, (Subject: Fuel leak from top of gear pump head ) 
RE: Fuel leak from top of gear pump head
Reinstalled yesterday at around 10a once the weather allowed. Like mentioned earlier, cleaned the threads (which had no visible debris or imperfections), cleaned the mating surfaces, added a high temp chemical resistant sealant on the threads and torqued it down to 100ft/lb.

Based off the charts I found online, I went with the lowest torque number available (approx 102ft/lb) using the thread pitch, diameter, and surface area of thread. I used the lowest since I didn't know the grade of this plug. Last thing I want is to strip the head or plug. Again, it took about 85ft/lb for removal.

I applied the sealant (although it didn't have any to begin with) just as an additional measure. Careful to cover the entire threaded surface, but ensure none was on the machined mating surface of the plug. Could be a absolute waste of time, but hell, worst case scenario is I'm putting a head on the damn thing anyway so, what have I got to lose by giving it a shot. I'll wait a full 48 for the cure. Using a small space heater to keep the temp around 80-90 degrees to assist with cure. Sealant claims chemical resistant and heat resistant to 400degrees. I figure if it ever reached 400 or better, I'd have a lot more on my hands than this fuel pump issue lol.
replyreply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Fuel leak from top of gear pump head - SquareOne - 04-18-2021

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.