Fuel leak from top of gear pump head
04-24-2021, (Subject: Fuel leak from top of gear pump head ) 
RE: Fuel leak from top of gear pump head
Success! Everything went smoothly with the new fuel pump head replacement - no surprises, which is always good. Let the pump prime about 3 times while I was cleaning up, fired it up with no hesitation. Nice smooth idle with no hiccups.

Ran the pressure test with insite, high press touched 29,250psi. After 90 seconds , pressure had dropped to 28,950psi. 300psi give or take 100psi for the numbers bouncing back and forth. Well within the acceptable limit. Engine temp about 150-160, idle set at 700rpm when the test was performed.

* Something to note with the test. May help others diagnose this issue before it has an external leak. When the high press test was performed with the compromised head, the engine began to jump around when pushed past the 22-23k psi mark. Not so with the new head. Very smooth idle all the way through the test (from 10k-29k psi). My engine had about 470k when the FP head failed. If you’re nearing or surpassed that mileage it may be a good idea to run the high pressure test and check for the stumble.

While Insite was connected did a cutout test of the injectors (isolated each injector so that the engine ran on that one only). Other than each test dropping about 40-50rpm, all cylinders audibly were very similar.

I'll report back with any updates if need be. So far it seems like the problem is resolved. Wish there was a way to catch it before it has an external leak, but not sure how much more proactive you can be with this situation. I'll be hitting the road (finally) on Sun for about a 600mi trip so it should be a good test of the repair.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Mattman , Waterloo , snailexpress , tree98 , hookliftpete , Rawze , JimT

Messages In This Thread
RE: Fuel leak from top of gear pump head - SquareOne - 04-24-2021

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.