Diagnostic software
04-23-2021, (Subject: Diagnostic software ) 
Big Grin Diagnostic software
I am a mechanic for a very mixed Fleet operation. I would like to find diagnostic software that would be able to program engine and body controller software, and make parameter adjustments but do not know where to start on getting something reliable and affordable. Anybody know of something that is the best bang for the buck or how practical or possible it is to go the used route? I'll try to list what trucks we have...

2001 Peterbilt 379 with CAT C12 engine

2004 Mack vision With Mack E-7 460 engine

2000 Mack RD688S With E-7 427 engine

1996 Freightliner FLD120 with Detroit 60 Series

2000 Freightliner FLD120 with N14 Cummins

2001 Freightliner FLD120 Classic with Cummins ISX CM570

2012 Kenworth W900 with Cummins ISX CM2250

Affordability is my biggest issue but I am also tired of the stealerships charging $100 simply for connecting their tool!
replyreply
RE: Diagnostic software
The Cummins is easy, Inline reader or a real NexIQ with Insite and C*Term software. Some of us have Diamond Logic for the international, but the PACCAR stuff, no clue where you would get that, or the, Volvo or Cat... This is a question best asked of Mr Hagg or Rawze, you might want to pm one of them and see what they say, I know software discussions like this can sometimes get a thread shut down. And they are valid questions, don't get me wrong. Just letting you know software discussions can get tricky here... So please do not get offended if the thread is shut down. The answers are here, you may just have to get them via PM. Personally, I would PM Mr Hagg

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply
Thanks, also I noticed on eBay there are what appears to be NEXIQ imitations from china for around $200 with all connectors and software. Are these legit and do they really work?
replyreply
(04-23-2021 )learning by failing Wrote:  Thanks, also I noticed on eBay there are what appears to be NEXIQ imitations from china for around $200 with all connectors and software. Are these legit and do they really work?

No, stay away from them, more than a few guys have bought them here with terrible results. Best bet is to buy locally from an outfit like FleetPride or off a tool truck if you have access to them.

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply
04-24-2021, (Subject: Diagnostic software ) 
There's a laptop website (synonymous with fuelnotebook) that advertises laptops that also sells Nexiq adapters, I've bought the usblink2 from them and is legit. Stay away from the knock offs the same site actually tells you how to spot a china knockoff.. the fakes will brick when you try to update the firmware.
replyreply
(04-24-2021 )marek4792 Wrote:  There's a laptop website (synonymous with fuelnotebook) that advertises laptops that also sells Nexiq adapters, I've bought the usblink2 from them and is legit. Stay away from the knock offs the same site actually tells you how to spot a china knockoff.. the fakes will brick when you try to update the firmware.

I have seen 4 different ppl recently who purchased diesel-laptops from outfits like that .. who ended up with a laptop full of viruses. Most of the pirated software they use is corrupt as all he#ll. - Just saying. Also, they don't tell you that in one year ... most all the software installed will expire and you got to pay em more money all over again to get it back working because they conveniently leave out all of the key-makers to keep it running.

just a word of caution.

I saw someone here not 4 days ago who had one of those laptops they got... Calterm was not installed on it, so they got the official version of it to put on ... and as soon as the program dowloaded, the MD5 checksum changed due to virus attaching itself to the executable,... and the key-maker suddenly stopped working, saying it was the wrong version for it. - this seems to be a plague lately with those laptops that are sold with everything installed on them already.

and --- NO, THIS IS NOT A SOFTWARE TRADING SITE... SOFTWARE TRADING IS NOT ALLOWED ON HERE!. THERE ARE PLENTY OF OTHER WEBSITES THAT DO THAT IF SOMEONE JUST LOOKS.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: marek4792
So if I understand right a NEXIQ 2 or equivalent would only be the tool that allows your pc to communicate with whatever truck you're working with but I would still need proper software for the brand I'm working with?

Also I when I say NEXIQ equivalent I don't mean a clone but any valid connection tool.
replyreply
(04-24-2021 )learning by failing Wrote:  So if I understand right a NEXIQ 2 or equivalent would only be the tool that allows your pc to communicate with whatever truck you're working with but I would still need proper software for the brand I'm working with?

Also I when I say NEXIQ equivalent I don't mean a clone but any valid connection tool.

Yes, if you are working on different brand trucks. From my understanding the NexIQ can handle just about anything you throw at it, as long as you have the correct virus free software.

If you are simply looking to work on a Cummins product, the Cummins Inline reader is the way to go there. All depends upon your needs. And someone will correct me if I am wrong in regards to the NexIQ. As far as I know, it does work on everything. The correct software, that is another thing...

replyreply
 Thanks given by: Truckdriven
Unfortunately Cummins only would only help me a some of the time and I have read on here that the cheap eBay versions seem to work for people and that's why I asked about the cheap NexIQ. I also assume asking too many questions about getting software will get this thread shut down.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.