De-Mandated CM870
05-07-2021, (Subject: De-Mandated CM870 ) 
RE: De-Mandated CM870
(05-06-2021 )Ricky Wrote:  
(05-04-2021 )AK Trucker Wrote:  Well I just upgraded my transmission for a 20918 cause I got a deal on it. Plus I wanted the heavier duty tranny for the power I someday put in front of it. My gearing is 3.91 on 24.5 wheels. The truck does alright with power. I would just like more. I had a tanker pulling doubles who had 30k lbs on me catch me in the hills. I was 135k lbs. I know their trucks are built for that kind of weight but I'd at least like to be able to keep up given the circumstances
LOL, so many drivers pure tickle me with the can't keep up with Joe blow trucker. Drivers will beat the piss out of their truck like there is a trophy at the top of the hill. Plan stupid if you ask me. I'm crossing I68 east in MD with 30,000 lbs of 65 ft on the floor. I'm not real heavy but do I care that trucks are passing me, H$!! NO. I laugh all the way to the bank.

yeah,.. I was just about an inch away from just kicking him off the forum when I read that idiotic "tanker" comment, want big power, type of statements. Hopefully he now sees the irony and sheer ridiculousness in that way of thinking.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
(05-06-2021 )Ricky Wrote:  
(05-04-2021 )AK Trucker Wrote:  Well I just upgraded my transmission for a 20918 cause I got a deal on it. Plus I wanted the heavier duty tranny for the power I someday put in front of it. My gearing is 3.91 on 24.5 wheels. The truck does alright with power. I would just like more. I had a tanker pulling doubles who had 30k lbs on me catch me in the hills. I was 135k lbs. I know their trucks are built for that kind of weight but I'd at least like to be able to keep up given the circumstances
LOL, so many drivers pure tickle me with the can't keep up with Joe blow trucker. Drivers will beat the piss out of their truck like there is a trophy at the top of the hill. Plan stupid if you ask me. I'm crossing I68 east in MD with 30,000 lbs of 65 ft on the floor. I'm not real heavy but do I care that trucks are passing me, H$!! NO. I laugh all the way to the bank.
That's great my friend. To each their own when it comes to trucking. I myself enjoy the challenges the Alaskan roads throw at me. I also like performance. If I wanted to make lots of money doing this then I'd sell my truck and jump in someone else's. I do this because I like to set my truck up how I want it and if it cost me a bit of fuel at the end of the year then so be it. But from my experience up here with the weights we usually pull, there's a fine line with power and fuel economy rather than being under powered and strokin everywhere you go. The trucking community up here isn't like anything down in the states. There's too much competition with the big companies up here and other independent truckers to grow. So we're limited to leasing on to the big companies or try to get a contract going with clients. But the oil field will make or break you depending on the season. Not to mention shop rates are $157 a hour and the markup on parts is through the roof. The parts department has no competition here so the sky's the limit with these folks.
{rest of post deleted by Rawze}
replyreply
Rawze my comment on the tanker was more of my truck should have been able to keep up. It's not running right and that's why I'm here asking you guys for help. My truck is completely stock other than the tune and with the way my truck is speced and that tanker, I should have been able to keep my distance.
replyreply
More than a few oil field guys here, myself included, some of us have worked AK too... Some unsolicited advice, not trying to be a dick, that fine line you mentioned, we try to stay on the correct side of that. What you want to do is very doable, and it can be done correctly and safely with a healthy factory OEM motor and the correct tuning. Plenty of HH guys here doing more with less, and profitably. We do not like shops, most of us carry our own diagnostics on the truck to avoid shops, we also wrench on our own trucks, some of us even in framed our own motors. The goal here is to operate a mechanically sound truck, stay out of the shops and make money.

Building disposable sled pulling monster trucks to beat Joey to the top of the hill, wrong site. What you appear to want to do is be the king of the hill, which will simply keep you in the shop with blown heads, leaky injectors and drive line issues. There is a better way... We are here to help, if you want it, no charge either.

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply
Have you got an Inline 6 reader and software? Or access to a shop that can pull your file and get it to Rawze?

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply
(05-07-2021 )Waterloo Wrote:  More than a few oil field guys here, myself included, some of us have worked AK too... Some unsolicited advice, not trying to be a dick, that fine line you mentioned, we try to stay on the correct side of that. What you want to do is very doable, and it can be done correctly and safely with a healthy factory OEM motor and the correct tuning. Plenty of HH guys here doing more with less, and profitably. We do not like shops, most of us carry our own diagnostics on the truck to avoid shops, we also wrench on our own trucks, some of us even in framed our own motors. The goal here is to operate a mechanically sound truck, stay out of the shops and make money.

Building disposable sled pulling monster trucks to beat Joey to the top of the hill, wrong site. What you appear to want to do is be the king of the hill, which will simply keep you in the shop with blown heads, leaky injectors and drive line issues. There is a better way... We are here to help, if you want it, no charge either.

I really like the sound of that.
Nothing makes me cringe more than to watch those drag trucks jumping their front ends off the ground during a race.
replyreply
(05-07-2021 )Waterloo Wrote:  Have you got an Inline 6 reader and software? Or access to a shop that can pull your file and get it to Rawze?

Not yet. I'm waiting on a buddy of mine who's got one.
replyreply
05-08-2021, (Subject: De-Mandated CM870 ) 
(05-05-2021 )Chamberpains Wrote:  Really?!?! TA and Petro hire some of the dumbest wrenches I've ever ran across. I've never asked how they get certified but you can guarantee it probably involves a "certified" trainer rep. showing up to the facility and about 30 minutes of a presentation and a short quiz for a mechanic or 2 and they will serve as the "certified" techs on duty. The diesel repair Industry has been a laughing joke since the 90's.

Your almost spot on. The company I'm Leased to sent a mechanic (There Name , not mine) to get certified, it's a 8 hr a day 3 day class..

Now get this... about 9 months before he went to that class I changed my oil cooler in their shop at night during his shift. During this repair he helped me with a few things. So first he knew my engine was a factory 600 as he had read the engine plate before during another incident that he thought he knew everything... (he insisted that in 2008 Cummins only made Signature 600 at 600hp and not the 871 at 600 hp) Anyway he was standing right there when I pulled the cooler out and saw with his own eyes that it only had 1 cooler. Well after this class he was talking to someone in the shop and I heard him insist that ALL 600 came factory with a two element cooler, when I reminded him that he was indeed wrong and he has seen with his own eyes that not to be the case, he again started to argue with me, and started his argument with "I'm a Cummins factory certified mechanic, your a truck driver" I pulled out Quick Serve and showed him not only the cooler section but also the Campaign TBI stating that "Some CM871 600 hp engines made after 12-1-2007 with Serial number this to that only have one oil cooler he got pissed and told me to leave the shop, since I had permission to be there I told him no so he called the cops to have me removed...

User's Signature: 08 KW W900L 600hp ISX, 18sp, 3:36 rears.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
05-08-2021, (Subject: De-Mandated CM870 ) 
(05-08-2021 )LRT1549 Wrote:  ... factory certified mechanic,

whenever you are involved with someone who is quick to spout off those words, you know your most always dealing with a real idiot any more.

I have enough OE official training certificates from all the years I have worked that it would cover an entire wall from over the years, including NEC certs, various OSHA and other official safety certs, 2 separate College degrees, Various official OEM-certs for mastery repair and field engineering of many types of industrial laser, hydraulic, bending, punching, milling, turning, etc.. and a whole host of other certified licences and smaller certs related to industrial automation, Several Corporate training certs, engineering certs, even an extra class Radio licence, etc.. ... I keep them in the closet.... because "I am also just another dumb truck driver" .. lol

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , LRT1549

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.