Haywire Speedometer
05-05-2021, (Subject: Haywire Speedometer ) 
Haywire Speedometer
Hi Folks
On a Pete 579:
Recently I had the speedometer completely turn loose and erratically going from near zero to about the speed I was actually traveling (GPS indicated). The very first signs showed a slight movement away from the actual speed but got worse with ascents/descents and rough roads. At idle, zero speed there was no dial movement- stays at zero. And of course the cruise control cannot work. The speed sensor has been changed, and this seemed to work for a few hours or so until the problem came back with a vengeance. Any ideas of where to look next?
replyreply
RE: Haywire Speedometer
Did you test the wiring? Does it change with the weather? How is the output shaft endplay? Tonewheel?
replyreply
No change with the weather. The speed gauge went from normal to erratic over time and aggravated along with grades or rough roads but currently goes haywire from the start. And testing wiring is a good next step. Maybe looking for a loose ground between sensor to speedo? Not sure how to check output shaft or tonewheel.
replyreply
No change with the weather. The speed gauge went from normal to erratic over time and aggravated along with grades or rough roads but currently goes haywire from the start. And testing wiring is a good next step. Maybe looking for a loose ground between sensor to speedo? Not sure how to check output shaft or tonewheel.
replyreply
tailshaft speed sensor is the first thing to check. After that, it is well known that speedo's in those 579's are flaky as h#ell and sometimes need replacing.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: pgls651

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.