Timing set
05-11-2021, (Subject: Timing set ) 
Timing set
The timing set I have will not seat with head and cam. The tab on the bottom hits the casting on the head before it seats. Once the crank pin is in the cam flat is in position, the alignment pin and some thickness gauges can be used to verify position. Has anyone else had this issue? Can I just grind the tab off the bottom? Thanks in advance. PS its a 2013 ISX 15
replyreply
RE: Timing set
If you're talking about the timing wedge not going all the way down to a certain point then that is not what you should be worried about. The wedge being flush and tight against the head and cam flat is what you're trying to accomplish. The depth of the wedge is not. If this isn't what your asking about then post a couple pics so we can quickly see what your asking about.
replyreply
* Is it the official wedges for an ISX or something identical?

* NO... I have never had to modify them.. If yous are legit wedges and they will not fit properly then either your doing something wrong or something is wrong with your cams, alignments, etc.

Maybe a posting pic or 2 of what your talking about would help too.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
(05-11-2021 )Chamberpains Wrote:  ...
The depth of the wedge is not.

Not sure about an aftermarket wedge, but my official cummins wedges have marks that align with the top of the head when they are seated all the way in....

./uploads/202105/post_2_1620774616_37116f0d75d84dd60f1558886d6b752a.png
(right click and choose "view image" to see larger version of it).

here is a related video I made on timing the wedges. The photo above is from 7:22 in the video, as I was installing them...

what really counts though is that they do not bottom out where they are loose, but rather the entire flat is seated correctly to the cam and head.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
The ebay ones didn't have marks. Pics from my similar question http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...5#pid49425
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
I have it back together now. I have the exact wedges that chamberpains posted pick of. Will be replacing the timing gear cover gasket soon and was testing the kit while doing an overhead set. The tab on the bottom hits the casting of the head (medial to the machined surface) before the wedge seats, there is still about .050 inch gap between the wedge and the flat on the cam. I bought the truck used and just wondered if it may be an aftermarket head. It is a single cam if that matters. Rawze there not a video that you have put out that I have not watched multiple times. I appreciate everyone on this site, thanks for the advice
replyreply
05-13-2021, (Subject: Timing set ) 
If the engine is pinned then you have a slipped/out of time cam. Your gonna need to pull that cam gear and set it correctly. Running the overhead was a waste of time. At least you really have a good reason to pull the front end apart and do that gear case gasket..
replyreply
05-13-2021, (Subject: Timing set ) 
maybe take a pic or 3 of what is wrong and post it to the forum?

replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.