VGT TURBO ACTUATOR INSTALL FAILS
05-15-2021, (Subject: VGT TURBO ACTUATOR INSTALL FAILS ) 
Video VGT TURBO ACTUATOR INSTALL FAILS
Hello,
I had some issues with the engine brake and had some vgt turbo actuator codes and got to the conclusion that I need to replace e actuator.

So, I went to the dealer and bought one. I removed the old one and connected the new one to the truck.

When I tried to calibrated with Insite as with the first step (installation) it fails with code 6 and the actuator gear doesn't even move. I then tried to reconnect the old one and when I plugged it in, it starts spinning. Even trying to calibrate it,but it just fails. So what can be the problem with the new one if when connected to the power it's not even spinning like the old one?

Isx cm2350 Pete 389 2017

Any help is appreciated, thank you.

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

User's Signature: 2010 Freightliner Cascadia 10spd ISX 871 450HP
replyreply
RE: VGT TURBO ACTUATOR INSTALL FAILS
Have you tried to spin the new actuator gear? Maybe it’s binding/stuck? Also how does the connector and wiring look? Any bent or missing pins?
It’s possible the new actuator is a reman that is broken....
replyreply
* When you have the new one plugged in... are you getting an active fault for an VGT invalid update rate? or similar fault like it is unplugged?. If so, then it is not communicating and likely a dead stick.

- If your not getting any codes for the VG actuator being unplugged (it is communicating properly), yet it does not move at all when powering it up, then it could be that the VG actuator has lost its software/memory. It can be recovered from this condition by forcing the "On-Turbo" Calibration command to it.

To get it out of this state...

The actuator has to be mounted to the top of the turbo with the tiny dot on the end of the actuator gear facing just shy of the '270-degree' position + the turbo arm/gear itself sitting in its install position when placing it. The actuator needs to be mounted to the top of the turbo so that it can see the hard-stops of the turbo. After it is in position and bolted down ...

- Keyswitch on, Some people have claimed that Letting it fail the first calibration in Insite.... then cycling the keyswitch in the dash off for several seconds. then back on ... To rid the engine of the fault, then attempting the second calibration (actuator still installed onto turbo) it will allow the second calibration to go thru, and overcome it.

- If memory serves me right, the older Insite 7.5 (or maybe 7.3) would issue this command if someone chose the second calibration forcefully, ... but Insite 7.6 will definitely not allow you to do this. - It has been so long, I don't remember, but I do know there was older version of insite pre-7.6.x that would do this forceful 2'nd command without requiring the off-turbo calibration first.

=======

The alternative is to take it back and get another one that is not DOA.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: schISM , Zapah , PuroCumminsPower
05-16-2021, (Subject: VGT TURBO ACTUATOR INSTALL FAILS ) 
Music RE: VGT TURBO ACTUATOR INSTALL FAILS
I have used Insite 7.6.2 and the engine has the D3L3T3 done at Haggai in march. Not sure if this is an issue or not. After 2-3 weeks after the del3t3 I got the check engine light on and lost some of the engine brake...It was coming on and off, but lately was steady on. It gets up to about 10 psi at most, but usually around 5 psi. So I asked around after I checked the fault codes (1 was about vgt actuator not communicationg with ecm, you can see in the attached picture) and was told I need to change the vgt actuator. I went to the Kenworth delear bought the new vgt actuator and the thing is I was told they will not return my money if I open the VGT actuator box, so now after I tried to replace the old one this new one doesn't work....

I think I got a code about the VGT rate but not sure....What I have tried was to connect the old one without the ignition on and when I connect to the truck it starts spinning, even though it fails if I want to calibrate it. On the other hand, the new one if connected to the truck when plugged in it's not spinning...

I'm attaching a picture with the codes I got before I purchased the new vgt actuator.

What would be the easiest way to get this fixed? I can't move the truck now. The old one fails the calibration and the new one doesn't work.

I'll try to take a screenshot of the active codes I have tomorrow...

Thanks.

{garbage-can tuning box picture removed by Rawze}

Active: 1894 = VGT Actuator Driver Circuit - Abnormal Update Rate.
Active: 6688 = Aftertreatment 1 Particulate Sensor - Abnormal Update Rate
Active: 2198 = VGT Actuator Driver Circuit - Root Cause Not Known

replyreply
1894 = VGT Actuator Driver Circuit - Abnormal Update Rate.

That code is only "Active" when the actuator is not communicating with the ecm.

Is it "Inactive" when the old actuator is plugged in?... and "Active" with the new one plugged in?

BTW. you should be using Insite for checking the codes.. not some garbage-can after-market tuner-box that is known to do horrible things to the ecm programming.

============
and is Insite showing that 6688 code? -- you should not be getting that code active in Insite if it was properly de-mandated.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
(05-16-2021 )BlueTurbo Wrote:  ...
What I have tried was to connect the old one without the ignition on and when I connect to the truck it starts spinning, even though it fails if I want to calibrate it.

The new one is obviously a dead stick if the old one makes the 1894 code go inactive.

ALIGN THE OLD ONE LIKE IN THE PIC HERE...
./uploads/202105/post_2_1621207894_158aa05794e8a5241e3d94d7bb7e4e94.png
(Right click the pic and choose "View Image" for a larger image).

FIRST OF ALL... check the travel range of the turbo arm/gear. Make sure the turbo has full travel range. If your not sure, then take a couple top-down close-up pics with it at each end of its travel range and post them here.

Inspect turbo and then calibrate actuator using Insite, like shown in my video ...

replyreply
 Thanks given by: Techmech
05-17-2021, (Subject: VGT TURBO ACTUATOR INSTALL FAILS ) 
Photo RE: VGT TURBO ACTUATOR INSTALL FAILS
(05-16-2021 )Rawze Wrote:  
(05-16-2021 )BlueTurbo Wrote:  ...
What I have tried was to connect the old one without the ignition on and when I connect to the truck it starts spinning, even though it fails if I want to calibrate it.

The new one is obviously a dead stick if the old one makes the 1894 code go inactive.

ALIGN THE OLD ONE LIKE IN THE PIC HERE...

(Right click the pic and choose "View Image" for a larger image).

FIRST OF ALL... check the travel range of the turbo arm/gear. Make sure the turbo has full travel range. If your not sure, then take a couple top-down close-up pics with it at each end of its travel range and post them here.

Inspect turbo and then calibrate actuator using Insite, like shown in my video ...

Just got back to the truck and checked again the new vgt actuator.

here are the codes:

THEY SEEM TO BE THE SAME.

Also when I try to calibrate the old one, even though it fails it spins the gear and aligns it to 225. degres.

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply
05-17-2021, (Subject: VGT TURBO ACTUATOR INSTALL FAILS ) 
looks like maybe you have a communications issue on the J1939?.

maybe check resistance like is discussed in this post? ...
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...5#pid65035

- How far are you from Mr. hags shop?. Maybe make an appointment, put the actuator back on it and bobtail it over there?. If it is de-mandated, it should not shut down for turbo issues. however you will not have very much power with the turbo not operating, but it will drive.

When my turbo went out back in the day, and I drove my truck from Los-angelas all the way to Atlanta like that. Cost me about $400 or so in fuel, I cursed up every tiny hill from havng no power, but I got it there. I did this because the turbo was half the price in Atlanta and I saved about $1800 dollars after the fuel I spent at the time.

I have also heard of people jamming a piece of wood tightly under both sides of the sector gear to hold it in place about 40% to the left of the far right position, slapping the actuator on and leaving it unplugged from the harness, so that it does not move.. and getting some boost to get it driven somewhere to be fixed too.

At least over at Mr. Hags shop, you will have access not only to him helping you figure it out, but also those actuators can be serviced, looked at, and the turbo too without it breaking the bank, as Yiyto and his turbo shop is right down the street if there is any turbo issues,,... and Sandra here can pull those actuator(s) apart (like I show in my actuator series), test them properly, maybe recover the new one to get it working, replace the board in it of she has one, rebuild the old one if need be, etc. etc. on the cheap.

Just something to consider. I know if I were stranded somewhere, that is what I would do.

replyreply
 Thanks given by: JMBT , PuroCumminsPower , JimT , Techmech
05-18-2021, (Subject: VGT TURBO ACTUATOR INSTALL FAILS ) 
On my way to Mr Hags shop. I have put the old actuator back on the turbo without calibrating it, as instructed, moved the turbo gear about half the distance and reinstalled the actuator. Truck drives fine like before with little engine brake.

Will see what the problem is later...

replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.