CM870 power loss
05-18-2021, (Subject: CM870 power loss ) 
RE: CM870 power loss
(05-18-2021 )Redland1 Wrote:  I took the air line off to the actuator and tried to move it by hand but it wouldn’t move so I put air pressure to it and it moved a good amount but if didn’t hear the turbo once the rod moved down.

Yeah, that spring inside the actuator is VERY stout lol.
replyreply
05-18-2021, (Subject: CM870 power loss ) 
(05-18-2021 )Nilao Wrote:  
(05-18-2021 )Redland1 Wrote:  I took the air line off to the actuator and tried to move it by hand but it wouldn’t move so I put air pressure to it and it moved a good amount but if didn’t hear the turbo once the rod moved down.

Yeah, that spring inside the actuator is VERY stout lol.

So when I hooked up the air and the rod moved downward should I have been able to hear the turbo spooling?
replyreply
05-20-2021, (Subject: CM870 power loss ) 
Not if the truck wasn't running. But if the truck was running then yes. If it was running and you heard nothing when the actuator moved then turbo is broke internally.

Take the actuator off the turbo and move the armature on the turbo manually. It should have full travel with very little slight squeaky resistance. If there are any "catch" spots or sticky spots or you don't hear anything sliding in the turbo than there is a problem internally with the turbo.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Redland1
- If someone pops by here some time with a CM870 and wants to make a turbo inspection video + hang out for a few days... I'de be up for it... just saying. Would likely take more than just a single day though, videos take time to make and get right. ... likely about 2 full days of decent weather?, as I would want to include some tests with a PC, testing the actuator and VG arm, and some other things to include that is commonly seen of them when they act up.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hookliftpete , Redland1
I would let you rip on my truck,(w900 w/ 870) but i never go down that way anymore.
I really need to get out more. but i just like running out here in the hills with no traffic... just deer/wind/rv's on back roads..:)

User's Signature: hard to go 60 mph when the winds blowing 65+ in WY
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Redland1
(05-20-2021 )Chamberpains Wrote:  Not if the truck wasn't running. But if the truck was running then yes. If it was running and you heard nothing when the actuator moved then turbo is broke internally.

Take the actuator off the turbo and move the armature on the turbo manually. It should have full travel with very little slight squeaky resistance. If there are any "catch" spots or sticky spots or you don't hear anything sliding in the turbo than there is a problem internally with the turbo.

Yes it was running.So if I didn't hear it spooling when the actuator moved then the turbo is 100 percent done and needs replaced? If that's the case where is the best place to purchase one?
replyreply
It's a very strong indicator that the turbo is done for. But you can simply confirm by pulling the actuator off and verifying that there is nothing moving in the turbo itself. You'll be able to hear and feel it. Like I previously stated there should be a very slight dry squeaky movement of the VG ring inside the turbo when you manually move the armature. If you can move that armature without hearing movement inside and a feeling of slight resistance but smooth travel as if something is attached to the armature then there is major problems inside the turbo itself.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Redland1
Yiyito turbo service in Griffin, GA.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Chamberpains , Redland1
Oh ya, i forgot. That place for a great reman for a great price. Got 2 of them off of him. Google search the name. Thanks nilao
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Redland1

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.