Nox sensor abnormal update rate./speed sensor
05-22-2021, (Subject: Nox sensor abnormal update rate./speed sensor ) 
Nox sensor abnormal update rate./speed sensor
Just got insite and read two codes I had one was 3216 fmi 9 which is the abnormal update rate for nox sensor 1. The other is a wheel based speed sensor communication fault. I have been having issues with the speedo intermittently the past couple weeks along with the cruise control will not work when it is having issues. Was thinking trans speed sensor but not sure if I'm on the right track because insite is saying wheel based speed sensor not sure if they're on in the same....sorry I don't have the exact spn and fmi for this one I erased the codes already .... I know I'm dumb lol. The other for the nox sensor I wanted to know, 1. I deleted the fault until I can get it changed next friday when I get home. 2 will it hurt anything to let it run that long without changing or diagnosing the sensor problem? 3 can you clean the nox sensors or is it best to just replace. Any help is appreciated. Trying to get through the week so I can get home to get it checked out or replace the sensor myself.

User's Signature: Your 75 vs my 60... you get there first but I arrive with more money in my pocket.
replyreply
RE: Nox sensor abnormal update rate./speed sensor
as long as the codes do not stay active, it should not derate on you.

You cannot clean NOx sensors. The manufacturer for them say they might be able to be cleaned a bit but they will ready really incorrect after. - NOx sensors are rated for about 250k miles or so (or equivalent engine hours). If it is older than that, might be best just to replace it.. but communications error is not the same as a bad sensor... you need to ensure it is not a wiring harness issue.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
(05-22-2021 )Rawze Wrote:  as long as the codes do not stay active, it should not derate on you.

You cannot clean NOx sensors. The manufacturer for them say they might be able to be cleaned a bit but they will ready really incorrect after. - NOx sensors are rated for about 250k miles or so (or equivalent engine hours). If it is older than that, might be best just to replace it.. but communications error is not the same as a bad sensor... you need to ensure it is not a wiring harness issue.

I've got 472k on her now. Have no idea if they were ever replaced prior to be owning the truck. Think it's about time to replace them. Just recently replaced the nh3/amonia sensor so maybe it's time for the nox sensor 1 now. I'll test to make sure it's getting proper voltage first though.

Thanks rawze.

User's Signature: Your 75 vs my 60... you get there first but I arrive with more money in my pocket.
replyreply
05-25-2021, (Subject: Nox sensor abnormal update rate./speed sensor ) 
Cummins has an emissions recall running on NH3 sensors and SCRs. C2119. On ISB 2350's for sure. The NH3 sensor is deleted and the SCR is replaced. I do not know if this applies to the ISX's. Quick Serve should tell you. Have had 3 customers have this done. There is some testing BS they had to pay for. Around $800 but the trucks came back with new SCR's and no NH3 sensors. As I recall. Poke ESN 73667326 for a 2350 ISB in and see what it says.

Something weird about QuickServe. The ESN above has had this done but it shows open in QS. Now when I see one I email Cummins to find out if it has been done or not. This might only be for the light and medium engines. Rawze will know the details.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: DT_Duh_Trucker
05-26-2021, (Subject: Nox sensor abnormal update rate./speed sensor ) 
(05-25-2021 )DVT873 Wrote:  Cummins has an emissions recall running on NH3 sensors and SCRs. C2119. On ISB 2350's for sure. The NH3 sensor is deleted and the SCR is replaced. I do not know if this applies to the ISX's. Quick Serve should tell you. Have had 3 customers have this done. There is some testing BS they had to pay for. Around $800 but the trucks came back with new SCR's and no NH3 sensors. As I recall. Poke ESN 73667326 for a 2350 ISB in and see what it says.

Something weird about QuickServe. The ESN above has had this done but it shows open in QS. Now when I see one I email Cummins to find out if it has been done or not. This might only be for the light and medium engines. Rawze will know the details.

Some 2350 ISB's and ISC's had an extra NOx sensor. Not all of them do though. They were removing the extra sensor.

Some of the later ISX's have this extra sensor too, but there is not any campaign to remove those that I have seen.

- Just make sure you have the latest software update for your truck and engine. If it has been more than 2 years since it has been updated then that is one more thing to have done.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: DT_Duh_Trucker
05-31-2021, (Subject: Nox sensor abnormal update rate./speed sensor ) 
(05-25-2021 )DVT873 Wrote:  Cummins has an emissions recall running on NH3 sensors and SCRs. C2119. On ISB 2350's for sure. The NH3 sensor is deleted and the SCR is replaced. I do not know if this applies to the ISX's. Quick Serve should tell you. Have had 3 customers have this done. There is some testing BS they had to pay for. Around $800 but the trucks came back with new SCR's and no NH3 sensors. As I recall. Poke ESN 73667326 for a 2350 ISB in and see what it says.

I'll definitely check into this and as rawze said the software updates as well.

replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.