2015 Utility Dry Van Trailer WHEELS LOCK UP
05-24-2021, (Subject: 2015 Utility Dry Van Trailer WHEELS LOCK UP ) 
2015 Utility Dry Van Trailer WHEELS LOCK UP
We have a 2015 Utility dry van trailer that is having brake problems. For some reason when driver applies the brakes the wheels on the last axle lock up for about 2 seconds and release again. It does this only on the driver side rear axle and when the trailer is empty (no problems at all when loaded). We checked s camshafts and they seem fine. Adjusted the brakes, test drove it and it seemed to have solved the problem. Driver goes out on the road for about two weeks and comes back with same problem from beginning. The ABS light on trailer also came on temporarily but there is no ABS light on the last axle that is giving us problems. Went on to replace brakes, and drums on rear axle along with slack adjusters (they were due anyways). Air pressure is fine, no leaks. The axle seal was also replaced about 4 months ago, but I don't see how that could be the cause of the problem. Any ideas? Any other component that I am not seeing?

User's Signature: TRUCK365
G-Man
replyreply
RE: 2015 Utility Dry Van Trailer WHEELS LOCK UP
I would say one of the first places to start is to pull any codes (active or inactive) you can from the trailer ABS. You did mention that there was an ABS light present earlier. The service brakes are probably controlled from the electronic ABS Valve unit. This information is necessary to point yourself in the right direction.

If the driver says that everything was fine for a little while but then came up again it seems like an electrical issue (sometimes particularly in rainy conditions).

If the probably is currently persisting check and see if the ABS light is on.

I have also found corrosion on many ABS connectors so its worth opening those connectors and inspecting for any corrosion.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , TRUCK365
(05-24-2021 )TRUCK365 Wrote:  We have a 2015 Utility dry van trailer that is having brake problems. For some reason when driver applies the brakes the wheels on the last axle lock up for about 2 seconds and release again. It does this only on the driver side rear axle and when the trailer is empty (no problems at all when loaded). We checked s camshafts and they seem fine. Adjusted the brakes, test drove it and it seemed to have solved the problem. Driver goes out on the road for about two weeks and comes back with same problem from beginning. The ABS light on trailer also came on temporarily but there is no ABS light on the last axle that is giving us problems. Went on to replace brakes, and drums on rear axle along with slack adjusters (they were due anyways). Air pressure is fine, no leaks. The axle seal was also replaced about 4 months ago, but I don't see how that could be the cause of the problem. Any ideas? Any other component that I am not seeing?
I had problem like you on my trailer.
It started after new brake were installed. My trailer ABS is 2S4M sensors on the front axle rear was locking when empty.
Since everything was new I decide it's ABS. Lot of money wasted.
Took drum off and found bump spot on the drum. Surface was with sign of machining with dark blue overheating spot .
Like someone hit the drum with hammer or was drum dropped on something. Plus what type of shoes did you install? They have 20,000 and 23,000. 23,000 will be too strong.
Also trailer ride height play significant role.
replyreply
05-25-2021, (Subject: 2015 Utility Dry Van Trailer WHEELS LOCK UP ) 
I am back with some results. After spending all day at the yard with the mechanic. We found the ABS light problem. Simple wire that needed replaced. I had the driver take the trailer out for a spin and I drove right behind me to watch the tire interaction. It is very weird. The problem persists. Only the tires on rear axle driver side lock up when driver applies the brakes.

User's Signature: TRUCK365
G-Man
replyreply
05-26-2021, (Subject: 2015 Utility Dry Van Trailer WHEELS LOCK UP ) 
(05-25-2021 )TRUCK365 Wrote:  I am back with some results. After spending all day at the yard with the mechanic. We found the ABS light problem. Simple wire that needed replaced. I had the driver take the trailer out for a spin and I drove right behind me to watch the tire interaction. It is very weird. The problem persists. Only the tires on rear axle driver side lock up when driver applies the brakes.

for issues like that, other than doing it yourself... trailco comes to mind.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: TRUCK365
05-26-2021, (Subject: 2015 Utility Dry Van Trailer WHEELS LOCK UP ) 
Severely Mismatched tires and uneven down pressure from the suspension can cause this. Is the leveling valve set correctly? Does it have a dump axle? Is it dumped or air bags under inflated?
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.