Michelin XDA Energy or Bridgestone M713 drives?
07-03-2021, (Subject: Michelin XDA Energy or Bridgestone M713 drives? ) 
RE: Michelin XDA Energy or Bridgestone M713 drives?
You might be surprised how much different fuel mileage is when your tire pressure is lower. I know the tire manufacturers and the guys that take everything they say as word from the all mighty OZ himself say that lower air pressure doesn't change rolling resistance and blah blah blah. But for those of us that dare try it for ourselves and take that pressure up, we have found that extra .3-.5 + mpg much easier to achieve.

I take mine right up to the sidewall max rated pressure. I know some guys take all tires up to 120 psi. I can vouch that I see no odd or different tread wear. Even when I'm 50/50 loaded/empty running for months on end for 10's of thousands of miles.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hookliftpete , JimT , SquareOne
It's pretty well known that stiffer tires have lower rolling resistance than soft tires, but it's also a balance between rolling resistance, grip/traction, ride comfort and durability. The lower the tire pressure the more the tire flexes as it rolls around. That extra flex takes away some of the rotational energy and converts it to heat. Lowering the pressure will help smooth out the ride a little and may improve traction slightly, but it will result in lower fuel mileage and more heat buildup in the tires - maybe not enough to cause a failure, but enough to notice a difference in fuel. You see the effects of differing pressures very clearly in racing applications where slight changes of even 1 psi can have drastic effects. Personally I try to keep my tires within +/- 5 psi of the max inflation as long as they are all equally pressurized.

User's Signature: I try to keep it simple, but as is usually the case, my word count rivals that of Dickens.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: SquareOne
I ran the Sumo's at max psi since the day they were put on the truck. Although there was a slight variation in wear at the middle couple tread bars, it was negligible. Nothing to prevent me from doing it again with the new tires. The M713's have a more rounded profile, whereas my previous Sumos were much flatter and very little siping when new....maybe the M713's will be a little more prone to odd wear at full PSI do to that characteristic?

Although the Sumo's had there share of issues, I will say this about them...they never left me on side the road, rarely had a loss of pressure (even with all of the hardware in them lol), and netted high 8's to 9.0's for miles per gallon, right off the bat.

I'm going to go up to full psi once I get off vacation to see what gains (if any) I'll see. I'll report back within a few weeks or so.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hookliftpete
These new low rolling resistance tires do arch more when not loaded. But with the m710's I had zero noticed odd wear by running them at max tire pressure.

You could see the tire crown when driving through dusty roads. The middle treads would be dirty and the outer would be clean. Again, I had zero noticeable odd wear.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Nostalgic , SquareOne

Theme by MyBB Addict
Contact Us | Rawze.com | Return to Top | Return to Content | Lite (Archive) Mode | RSS Syndication