Advice to new owner/operator
05-27-2021, (Subject: Advice to new owner/operator ) 
Advice to new owner/operator
So, this post will probably be long due to me explaining all that I can to get the best responses.

Back in March, I purchased the truck that I’m driving. I’ve worked in the oil and gas industry for 21 years. After being laid off last year, I took a year off, but when time to return to work, I immediately looked towards the same industry. I bought the truck and signed a lease to haul frac sand in the south Texas region. Hauling frac sand has its pros and cons. Overall, I thought I’d make quite a bit more than what I’m making. It’s not horrible, but I’m trying to maximize my benefit if I’m going to be driving for the next few years.

About my life:
I currently live in Central America and only travel back to the US for work. All of my 21 years working has been rotational, usually 14 days on / 14 days off. So, being an owner operator, in my mind would be great because I have the ability to create my own work schedule. Everything that I have is paid for and my future plans have me retiring in Central America. I’d like to give a good 2-3 year run at driving, then either find a driver to continue running or just park the truck Incase I ever need to return to driving for whatever reason. I’d also like to be able to work 4-6 weeks at a time, then return home for 2-3 weeks.

My driving experience is limited. Back in 2006-2008, I purchased a truck, but never drove it. The truck was leased on with a company that hauled oilfield equipment on flatbed. Then, in 2016, I was hired on with an oilfield service company that required all employees to have a CDL, in which they paid for the schooling and whatnot. I did drive for about 2 years hauling pneumatic trailers and also a very heavy pumping unit. After the 2 years, I supervised and drove a pickup. But because I was employed with that company and held a CDL, my records reflect that I have 5 years driving experience.

I’m not limited to anything. My wife and kids are back in Central America.

So, with what I’ve written, what do you guys suggest to maximize my time and effort? The only thing I’d like to limit is the amount of equipment I purchase. I’d like to keep it limited to like a power-only scenario. My truck has a chemical pump still installed as that’s what my uncle hauled prior to me purchasing the truck from him. I don’t have hazmat, but can get it. My TWIC card is expired, but can renew. I have tanker and double/triple endorsements.

Dry vans, Reefers, flat beds? OTR, regional? Own Authority, lease authority?

Open to suggestions, comments, or questions.
replyreply
05-27-2021, (Subject: Advice to new owner/operator ) 
RE: Advice to new owner/operator
If you are in Texas, I would look into getting Texas only operating authority and find a good flatbed to pull. Homer is down there and is doing quite well with this kind of set up. If I were down there, that is exactly what I would do, as there is plenty of work out of the ports for flat beds. Homer does not own any tarps either, so no tarpping required. Maybe PM HHow

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply
06-04-2021, (Subject: Advice to new owner/operator ) 
I tried pm’ing HHow and it’s no good. I’ve cruised older postings to see if maybe I can find something similar to contact this Homer. Is the handle perhaps incorrect?

Anyways, I’m still seeking information about advice for options. I began reaching out yesterday talking to recruiters that will help to get leased on with different companies. A conversation I had with a guy yesterday didn’t seem right. He tried to convince me that there are many “major” freight hauling companies, dry van and reefers, that are seeking o/o to run under their authority. These same companies are paying 65% of revenue and all fuel surcharges. He said this was the industry standard. 65% seems quite low, don’t you think?

I’ve already scheduled my appointment to test to put my hazmat endorsement back on my license. My TWIC card expired, but I’ll get that updated also.

Seems that there are many owner operators here on this board. Any info will be helpful.
replyreply
Lead sled: I will give you this piece of advice, do not lease on to a company that also has company trucks. For obvious reasons, it is in their best interest to put the big $$$ loads on their company fleet then give the scraps to the O/O’s. There are quite a few all O/O companies out there to choose from. Landstar, Mercer, Bennet, Admiral merchants, are just a few of the big ones and I am sure there are many more.

Either go all out with your own authority or find a company that doesn’t have company trucks. Why compete with the company’s own equipment if you don’t have to!

User's Signature: Anti-seize EVERYTHING, Except injectors...Use Petroleum Jelly!!!
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Chamberpains
65% isn't very good at all unless the carrier is paying for all insurances and permits/plates. Then maybe I'd run the numbers and see if it worked.
replyreply
06-05-2021, (Subject: Advice to new owner/operator ) 
Thanks for the company list. I’ve seen those pop up and I briefly cruised a few of the just for info seeking purposes.

In reference to the 65%, it was J8 Hunt. The recruiter was making things smell like roses, but the 65% to me was very questionable. I also continued to press for live board snapshots to see what these loads were paying to breakdown to a mileage rate. Nothing was given. I didn’t really give it a thought about the advice not competing with their company trucks.

This sand hauling thing has fallin into the dirt, very slow.

I contacted another company last week, one not on the list. It’s a split of 88/12. Also another option of 80/20, but with trailer rent, ELD, insurance, etc paid. I may try this company to get my feet wet and to try to figure out the system as I’m new into it.

I appreciate the advice. And if there’s anything else anyone can suggest, I’m open ears.
replyreply

Theme by MyBB Addict
Contact Us | Rawze.com | Return to Top | Return to Content | Lite (Archive) Mode | RSS Syndication