Advice to new owner/operator
07-18-2021, (Subject: Advice to new owner/operator ) 
RE: Advice to new owner/operator
I greatly appreciate the good info Jim.

I contacted LandStar for info seeking since I see them on the road constantly. The send reminders by email also.

Since I’m fresh and new to this and didn’t want to start hopping around, I stuck with the same company I was hauling sand for. They have an OTR division as well. However, I’m starting to see how this trucking thing differs from one company to the next and how the game is played. Sticking with the same company seemed to be the best option as they sold it well. It pays 85% of total ticket. No trailer rental fee. Only have fuel deducted and $240 weekly liability insurance deducted from settlements. I pay $198 additional monthly for bobtail insurance.

So, I hauled for 1 week, then took 3 weeks off. I just returned back and just completed my first haul.

At this point, I’m 50/50 whether I should look for another option or maybe try this a little longer.

My first week was:
$1,814 / 854 miles
$1,900 / 924 miles
$4,275 / 1,287 miles

This load completed today:
$4,800 / 2,280 miles

I feel that I could find another outfit and haul pretty consistent for around $3/mile. However, the percentage for a company at 65% may offset the difference. I’m still putting numbers to paper.

Today is the first time I’ve had to sit and wait. The wait seems uncertain as I’ll get updated info tomorrow morning as to when my next load will be available.
replyreply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Advice to new owner/operator - Lead_sled - 07-18-2021

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.