Ting / Metallic Sound
06-02-2021, (Subject: Ting / Metallic Sound ) 
Ting / Metallic Sound
Thought I'd pose this question to get some feedback.

2013 ISX15 demandated 665000 miles

This past Monday, started it up after overnight in Amarillo. I heard what sounds like a constant ting/metallic noise coming from directly in front of the truck. Quite noticeable. I got it back to Dallas. Started pulling belts to check tension pulley (both of them) and stationary pulley on the AC belt.

1. I pulled the AC belt completely off, started truck, noise still present.
2. I pulled the main belt, started truck, noise gone.

So obviously it's in one of four possible locations. 1. Tension pulley, 2. Fan, 3. Alternator, 4. Water Pump

I oddly enough can't hear (with a scope) any noises that are making that sound. In all honesty I can't get the scope on the fan housing without chopping my hand off so that's a challenge, but with the belt off and manually spinning the fan I don't hear anything. The fan and clutch were replaced 2 years ago. There is no lateral or back and forth movement in the fan, it spins well so I don't think that's it.

I put the scope on the water pump, no odd noise there, sounds smooth and spins freely even with just hand.

Dummy me actually didn't scope the alternator pulley. I did spin it manually and while I didn't hear anything specifically perse' it is quite a heavy spin and doesn't turn as freely as others have said it should? Not sure about that.

I did scope the tension pulley and while I do hear some noise there it doesn't seem like that is issue, even though it could be because even with it off the truck and spinning by hand you can hear the bearings rolling, which is very different from the quiet sound of a new pulley.

So I guess the question is about that alternator. It was 3 years old in Nov 2020. Is there anything I can specifically look at on that thing to help me determine if that's my issue? Any other ideas?

I have decided to replace all tension pullleys and fixed pulley simply because they are original to the truck.

Thanks fellows.
replyreply
06-03-2021, (Subject: Ting / Metallic Sound ) 
RE: Ting / Metallic Sound
If that's the original tensioner, my money is on that. "They" say to replace when belt change.

I have heard them rattle and bounce with age and wear.
replyreply
(06-03-2021 )Wildcard Wrote:  If that's the original tensioner, my money is on that. "They" say to replace when belt change.

I have heard them rattle and bounce with age and wear.

HAHA well yea of course they want you to change it. At Cummins price of $320 for that thing it's a great money grab.

BTW, I found the SAME tensioner through PAI for $144 and the reviews on it are very good.
replyreply
(06-03-2021 )kozakvod Wrote:  BTW, I found the SAME tensioner through PAI for $144 ...

not sure about the tensioner but PAI around here has been known to be nothing but pure engine garbage copmponents... just be fore-warned.

Don't trust those so-called "good reviews"... your drinking the cool-aide on that one.

here is a recent failure seen on one of their garbage dampers. This one was less than 2 years old...

The markings for A.B.C did not align quite correctly either on it. When I stacked it on top of an official cummins damper and aligned the pin position marks,... all three A,B,C were off by a few degrees.
./uploads/202106/post_2_1622743778_9c632cd0d0fd30789cee03800b935f01.jpg
./uploads/202106/post_2_1622743810_1524bf2225752c4c7df5855d5d3ee801.jpg
.. and Yes, I was looking at the stamped markings, not just what someone had painted on it.

--- and don't even get me started on their garbage overhaul kits.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: snailexpress , Waterloo , 74bassman , Toolguy
(06-03-2021 )Rawze Wrote:  
(06-03-2021 )kozakvod Wrote:  BTW, I found the SAME tensioner through PAI for $144 ...

not sure about the tensioner but PAI around here has been known to be nothing but pure engine garbage copmponents... just be fore-warned.

Don't trust those so-called "good reviews"... your drinking the cool-aide on that one.

here is a recent failure seen on one of their garbage dampers. This one was less than 2 years old...

The markings for A.B.C did not align quite correctly either on it. When I stacked it on top of an official cummins damper and aligned the pin position marks,... all three A,B,C were off by a few degrees.

--- and don't even get me started on their garbage overhaul kits.

Good to know Rawze, thank you! I do agree that I wouldn't put on an off brand dampner or other critical engine component. I have never used a non-cummins OEM part, but I figured for the 50% savings I'd give this a shot and see how it does, we shall see.
replyreply
Those tensioners are a critical part!! If one fails you can say goodbye to your radiator and possibly your cac too. Not worth the risk if you ask me.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
 Thanks given by: snailexpress , Waterloo , Toolguy
(06-03-2021 )tree98 Wrote:  Those tensioners are a critical part!! If one fails you can say goodbye to your radiator and possibly your cac too. Not worth the risk if you ask me.

As we should know Cummins does not make the tensioner. The tensioner is made by Gates to the best of my knowledge and can be had for less not painted red.

But I do agree it's not worth cheaping out on
replyreply
(06-03-2021 )Wildcard Wrote:  
(06-03-2021 )tree98 Wrote:  Those tensioners are a critical part!! If one fails you can say goodbye to your radiator and possibly your cac too. Not worth the risk if you ask me.

As we should know Cummins does not make the tensioner. The tensioner is made by Gates to the best of my knowledge and can be had for less not painted red.

But I do agree it's not worth cheaping out on

Dayco and Gates are the near the top, or at, of manufacturers for belts and pulley systems. I know Dayco makes Navistar's tensioners and pulleys, and I'm pretty sure that's who makes CATs as well. I can't remember which of the two makes big reds.

You should be able to get both brands from either Napa or O'Reilly Auto. It may be in their box, so make sure you open it up and look for that Gates or Dayco name cast into it.
replyreply
I bought cummins tensioner from dealer took out of box tensioner was a dayco
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , Toolguy

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.