Hard to get in gear intermittently
06-05-2021, (Subject: Hard to get in gear intermittently ) 
Hard to get in gear intermittently
My 14 prostar randomly is hard to put in gear from a dead stop sometimes not all the time. Mechanic said on my truck there is a self adjusting clutch so he can't adjust it.He said he checked it and it's the clutch. Is this a for sure it's the clutch or is there something else I can consider before dumping money into the clutch replacement? Just want to make sure that's the problem and we're not just throwing guesses at the truck. How would you go about verifying it is the clutch?

Thanks

User's Signature: Your 75 vs my 60... you get there first but I arrive with more money in my pocket.
replyreply
RE: Hard to get in gear intermittently
(06-05-2021 )DT_Duh_Trucker Wrote:  My 14 prostar randomly is hard to put in gear from a dead stop sometimes not all the time. Mechanic said on my truck there is a self adjusting clutch so he can't adjust it.He said he checked it and it's the clutch. Is this a for sure it's the clutch or is there something else I can consider before dumping money into the clutch replacement? Just want to make sure that's the problem and we're not just throwing guesses at the truck. How would you go about verifying it is the clutch?

Thanks

If you have a self-adjusting clutch... then pull the inspection plate off it and check the wear indicator (long curved groove similar to smiley-face with a tab sticking out). You might have to bump the starter to rotate the clutch, get the wear indicator to the bottom to see it.

If the tab sticking out is all the way to the left... that is a brand new clutch. If it is all the way to the right.. then there is no more material in the clutch.

HOWEVER....

- You'de be really hard pressed to get that wear indicator past about the half-way mark on those model clutches before it fails completely. Those type clutches are known for failing when the wear indicator gets to about the half-way mark or so... seen it many times.

So ... if you look at it and its about the half-way mark... REPLACE THE CLUTCH and everything else that the tranny needs to come out for while your at it.

./uploads/202106/post_2_1622908681_35550073c53b4b7328be7bde3ae4e97f.png

The symptoms you are describing are exactly what they do once the wear indicator gets much past the half-way mark. The tip of a spring breaks off and rolls around in the clutch, making it randomly hard to get into gear .. It acts like like the clutch-brake is not working sometimes.

It may or may not be your issue .. but if that wear indicator is half way or more... its time to replace it any ways, so nothing is lost.

Here is a list of what to do if the tranny/clutch has to come out ...
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...5#pid27785

Tags:
eaton clutch, auto-adjust clutch, smiley face, clutch worn out, hanging clutch, clutch hangs up, self adjusting clutch

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: SquareOne , JimT
This exact issue happened to me about a month ago, had self adjusting clutch, waited too long to replace, it died before i replaced it, was almost impossible to get into gear from stop, had to float the other gears. Get it done asap.
replyreply
(06-05-2021 )Rawze Wrote:  
(06-05-2021 )DT_Duh_Trucker Wrote:  My 14 prostar randomly is hard to put in gear from a dead stop sometimes not all the time. Mechanic said on my truck there is a self adjusting clutch so he can't adjust it.He said he checked it and it's the clutch. Is this a for sure it's the clutch or is there something else I can consider before dumping money into the clutch replacement? Just want to make sure that's the problem and we're not just throwing guesses at the truck. How would you go about verifying it is the clutch?

Thanks

If you have a self-adjusting clutch... then pull the inspection plate off it and check the wear indicator (long curved groove similar to smiley-face with a tab sticking out). You might have to bump the starter to rotate the clutch, get the wear indicator to the bottom to see it.

If the tab sticking out is all the way to the left... that is a brand new clutch. If it is all the way to the right.. then there is no more material in the clutch.

HOWEVER....

- You'de be really hard pressed to get that wear indicator past about the half-way mark on those model clutches before it fails completely. Those type clutches are known for failing when the wear indicator gets to about the half-way mark or so... seen it many times.

So ... if you look at it and its about the half-way mark... REPLACE THE CLUTCH and everything else that the tranny needs to come out for while your at it.

The symptoms you are describing are exactly what they do once the wear indicator gets much past the half-way mark. The tip of a spring breaks off and rolls around in the clutch, making it randomly hard to get into gear .. It acts like like the clutch-brake is not working sometimes.

It may or may not be your issue .. but if that wear indicator is half way or more... its time to replace it any ways, so nothing is lost.

Here is a list of what to do if the tranny/clutch has to come out ...
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...5#pid27785

Tags:
eaton clutch, auto-adjust clutch, smiley face, clutch worn out, hanging clutch, clutch hangs up, self adjusting clutch

Ok I will definitely get it done asap. I drove it home just now with no into gear issues but being that I know it will do it again eventually how long or how many miles would you say I can put on it before replacement I plan to be out another two weeks come Monday. Is that a safe bet that it will hold up until then? Also I sent you a pm rawze when you get a moment.

User's Signature: Your 75 vs my 60... you get there first but I arrive with more money in my pocket.
replyreply
(06-05-2021 )hookliftpete Wrote:  This exact issue happened to me about a month ago, had self adjusting clutch, waited too long to replace, it died before i replaced it, was almost impossible to get into gear from stop, had to float the other gears. Get it done asap.

Dam... well I'll be back at the shop in 2 weeks hopefully that's not to long.

replyreply
The last couple auto adjust clutch I had would do this randomly. The guys are correct if the tab is half way or more. The auto adjust just doesn't work well after half way. I was able to drive mine for quite a while everytime it would do what you describe. I would start the truck in gear with the clutch pedal pushed in if it would get too bad and then work the clutch violently to get it to act right. So you'll probably be able to get your 2 week time frame out of it. Just be prepared for it to act up.

Now if the clutch pedal sticks to the floor on one then your time frame is way less. You would be operating it on borrowed time if this occurs. It's still drivable if your good at floating gears and in terrain that allows you to stop the truck using just the foot brake while its in neutral but the next destination once this symptom starts is directly to the shop to have a clutch put in it.
replyreply
And do not forget to replace the string gasket in the rear structure that the transmission bolts to... This always happens, most guys are not aware that there is an oil passage way that runs through that structure from the block. If not replaced and everything torqued to spec, in a few weeks or months that rear structure will be puking oil, and many times soaks the new clutch... Now you have to redo it all again, including purchasing a new clutch.

Bottom line, the shop you take the truck to needs to have the tool to line everything up when doing that rear structure. If they tell you it is fine, not to worry about replacing the string gasket, find another shop to do the work that understands the ISX.

Don't be a victim.

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: SquareOne
Second on the gasket, mine was weeping at clutch replacement.
replyreply
06-06-2021, (Subject: Hard to get in gear intermittently ) 
What is the string gasket? We do not see many ISX's. I can't picture in my mind what you guys are referring to. I'm guessing what I would call the rear bell housing of the engine is a little different that the BC 1,2,3,4 and N14's?
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.