Need ideas for replacing motor
07-22-2021, (Subject: Need ideas for replacing motor ) 
Need ideas for replacing motor
After nearly 650k miles, my 2005 CM870 is really starting to show its age. While I'm not opposed to just rebuilding it, it occurs to me that there may be better options.

Quite some time ago I believe Unilevers made mention of it being possible to procure parts to turn a 870 into a 871, but that it might not make the most sense. So this leads me to my main question-

Can a 871 be adapted into an older truck? I know finding a parts truck these days is not as easy as it used to be, but still possible. This will be going into a 379 Pete, so not too hard to find parts for, yet.

Other option that makes any sense to look into?

My truck is paid for, so if it's down for an extended period of time it is not a big deal. I am interested in any suggestions the members here might have.

Thank you very much.
replyreply
07-22-2021, (Subject: Need ideas for replacing motor ) 
RE: Need ideas for replacing motor
- Rebuild it. Go all out and do all the extra things recommended on here to make it a solid million mile+ engine build, put an electronic VGT500 series turbo on it and a CM871 ecm+wiring harness. <- that is what I would do if you don't need to meet the communist state California standards any ways (SCR trucks only after next year). - It will technically still be a CM870 (egr only).

forum member 'running rough' did this before with good success. Maybe talk to him about it.

Any engine that is actually newer, you will end up with a 'glider' and you will have to install any emissions to go with it for it to be somewhat legal... (even if it is just for looks ehemm). Keep it as a CM870 and only update the ecm, wiring, and turbo... and it will technically still be a CM870, but with the added benefit if the electronic VGT and better programming.

just my thoughts on it.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: ZeroNthedark , barf , Toolguy
07-23-2021, (Subject: Need ideas for replacing motor ) 
Yup, what Rawze said. I thought about doing a bunch but I wanted a different truck and setup so making mine an cm870-1 wasn't gonna happen in my old 9400i
replyreply
 Thanks given by: ZeroNthedark
07-24-2021, (Subject: Need ideas for replacing motor ) 
(07-22-2021 )Rawze Wrote:  Keep it as a CM870 and only update the ecm, wiring, and turbo... and it will technically still be a CM870, but with the added benefit if the electronic VGT and better programming.

Theres the answer to the question I was trying to ask. Much appreciated, I'm looking forward to getting this project started.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.