Cat's Eye or Crossfire?
07-10-2021, (Subject: Cat's Eye or Crossfire? ) 
RE: Cat's Eye or Crossfire?
FYI, manufacturer's website for the Cat's Eye:

https://www.linkmfg.com/products/special...s/cats-eye

---------------

First impressions: unboxing.

They come in 2-packs with multiple brackets for installation to either the wheel lug nuts or to a hub bolt. All connections are sealed; some parts, like the body, with a red substance (could be red locktight, though seems too translucent) and the air lines are all sealed with what appears to be plumbers putty. Enough of it was used that it is transferred to other parts by touch. Even the sight glass had some smudged on it. No big deal though as it wipes right off.

Didn't get to the actual install today, got side tracked with other things. I did some planning and decided to mount the bracket to the lug nut as it sits slightly further inside the rim. Plus, regardless of where it's mounted it will need to be removed to change a tire, so I'd rather not have to mess with a hub bolt if I don't need to (or worse, let some tire company's employee handle that!). I thought about sandwiching the bracket between the existing nut and a second one, for either the lugnuts or hub, but neither option has enough thread space for a second nut and I don't have any on hand either.

Since I've never dealt with the lugnuts on my truck, does anyone know off hand the proper torque? Also, it appears the bracket will be sandwiched between the lug nut and the aluminum rim. Should I be concerned about damage to the rim or improper torque due to the additional bracket? Would it be safe to apply anti-seize to the surface between the bracket and rim and/or the bracket and lugnut? Rim is aluminum and bracket appears to be galvanized/zinc plated steel. Maybe a stupid question, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

The directions are fairly simple. One thing that stood out was that you can supposedly order individual replacement parts instead of buying the complete assembly. Item number are listed in the package. So if the main valve goes bad you can order that instead of the full assembly. No clue on prices or availability, but it's a nice option. Also, they clearly state the maximum torque for the mounting bolt (15 ft-lbs), which should please some people here.

I'll try to add some pictures later.

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply

Messages In This Thread
Cat's Eye or Crossfire? - JimT - 07-04-2021,
RE: Cat's Eye or Crossfire? - JimT - 07-10-2021

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.