Spare engine rebuild???
07-07-2021, (Subject: Spare engine rebuild??? ) 
Spare engine rebuild???
What is everyone's opinions on buying a used or rebuilt motor isx2350 to have a reputable shop rebuild as a spare or back up motor? If I have it put in my truck once done I could rebuild the original motor over time again for when it's time to swap them out. Was thinking could possibly cut down on down time far as the rebuild process not including the time to swap and everything. Is this a waste of time or money or am I not to far off from a good idea? My truck has 483k on it now. But I bought it with 457k. Haven't had any issues that make me think I need a rebuild yet but I'm usually the kind of guy who likes to be more on the always be prepared side of things.

User's Signature: Your 75 vs my 60... you get there first but I arrive with more money in my pocket.
replyreply
RE: Spare engine rebuild???
I say Rebuilt loosely because not all rebuild are created equal. So if I could get one for say 15k and have it sent to haggai to properly rebuild it would it end up costing more in the long run than say a inframe/ overhaul on my current motor? Or would it be worth it to have a motor ready for install once I start seeing problems that call for a inframe or rebuild.

User's Signature: Your 75 vs my 60... you get there first but I arrive with more money in my pocket.
replyreply
I talked to Jerry about this a couple years ago, I didn't sound like he likes to do them out of the truck like that. He didn't say he wouldn't but I think he prefers not to.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
We just open a ENGINE shop next to us should be up and running the end of this month. The down side of building engine and letting it set is not a good idea at the orings get hard over time etc......im talking like a year or so
replyreply
 Thanks given by: marek4792 , Nostalgic , hookliftpete , Waterloo , snailexpress , JimT , Pd6cas2
(07-07-2021 )DT_Duh_Trucker Wrote:  I say Rebuilt loosely because not all rebuild are created equal. So if I could get one for say 15k and have it sent to haggai to properly rebuild it would it end up costing more in the long run than say a inframe/ overhaul on my current motor? Or would it be worth it to have a motor ready for install once I start seeing problems that call for a inframe or rebuild.

the bigger question is WHY??? .. how often are you going to need a new engine??--- ( well maintained engine)every 10 years? .. or maybe (heavy haul)every 8? .. .. and sitting on a roughly $30,000 investment in the garage that looks all shiny new but will never yield a positive return for all that money just sitting there collecting dust??

It does not make any sense. The +1 week of downtime (vs the time it takes to do a swap anyways) for an inframe every 8+ years or more is just not worth having $30k collecting dust for no reason and then the added expense of only saving half the down time involved just swapping it out whenever that time does eventually come.

- just my thoughts.. I think it is a complete waste of money to do something like that unless you have about 20+ trucks or more and they all have the same exact engine/specs.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: barf
I agree, it doesn't make sense to have that kind of overhead laying around.

Then you put it in 5yrs later and it has issues, I don't think the builder is going to warranty anything at this point...I know I wouldnt.
replyreply
07-08-2021, (Subject: Spare engine rebuild??? ) 
(07-07-2021 )Mr Hagg Wrote:  We just open a ENGINE shop next to us should be up and running the end of this month. The down side of building engine and letting it set is not a good idea at the orings get hard over time etc......im talking like a year or so

An Engine shop? Are you installing that Dyno too? Tell us more! This sounds exciting!

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply
07-08-2021, (Subject: Spare engine rebuild??? ) 
More to come soon lol
replyreply
 Thanks given by: snailexpress , Waterloo , JimT
07-09-2021, (Subject: Spare engine rebuild??? ) 
(07-07-2021 )Rawze Wrote:  
(07-07-2021 )DT_Duh_Trucker Wrote:  I say Rebuilt loosely because not all rebuild are created equal. So if I could get one for say 15k and have it sent to haggai to properly rebuild it would it end up costing more in the long run than say a inframe/ overhaul on my current motor? Or would it be worth it to have a motor ready for install once I start seeing problems that call for a inframe or rebuild.

the bigger question is WHY??? .. how often are you going to need a new engine??--- ( well maintained engine)every 10 years? .. or maybe (heavy haul)every 8? .. .. and sitting on a roughly $30,000 investment in the garage that looks all shiny new but will never yield a positive return for all that money just sitting there collecting dust??

It does not make any sense. The +1 week of downtime (vs the time it takes to do a swap anyways) for an inframe every 8+ years or more is just not worth having $30k collecting dust for no reason and then the added expense of only saving half the down time involved just swapping it out whenever that time does eventually come.

- just my thoughts.. I think it is a complete waste of money to do something like that unless you have about 20+ trucks or more and they all have the same exact engine/specs.

I see your point. Just a thought that crossed my mind. I was thinking about if and when I do expand and that's where the idea came in. I'll stick with the original plan unless like you said I end up acquiring quite a few trucks. But like Mr Hagg said wouldn't want it to sit too long either.

replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.