Oil pressure
07-08-2021, (Subject: Oil pressure ) 
Oil pressure
I just had my engine Inframed . I ran the truck for approximately 250 and it's started to leak oil the it started losing oil pressure. When I 1st start the truck oil pressure is fine but within 10 miles it will drop slowly to 18 psi. At low idle oil pressure seems ok. To the truck back to the shop and they found they had installed the idler pull to the fuel pump wrong and it broke the bolts and sent debri into the oil pan but they claim the screen got it all. Would this affect the oil pressure and if not what could be the cause?
replyreply
RE: Oil pressure
Which motor? CM? Year, make and model? Mileage at in frame? Why was it rebuilt and by whom? Did they cut the ledges for the liners? Did anyone cut the oil filter apart to inspect for metal? How much, size of metal in the pan, and where did they say the metal came from? Trying to wrap my head around what actually happened here.

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: amermextrucker
(07-08-2021 )Cwmartinjr Wrote:  I just had my engine Inframed . I ran the truck for approximately 250 and it's started to leak oil the it started losing oil pressure. When I 1st start the truck oil pressure is fine but within 10 miles it will drop slowly to 18 psi. At low idle oil pressure seems ok. To the truck back to the shop and they found they had installed the idler pull to the fuel pump wrong and it broke the bolts and sent debri into the oil pan but they claim the screen got it all. Would this affect the oil pressure and if not what could be the cause?

If that fuel pump (or other hardened component) failed and sent metal thru the engine ... your f$ucked without ...

A== Some kind of serious deep-cleaning flush with several hundreds of gallons of diesel-oil mix going thru the engine while it is run, using an external pump and filtration system.

B== The oil pump to be replaced. It will be pitted and damaged internally... and will eventually fail.

C== The oil cooler needs to be replaced. There is no way to get all of the metal shavings out of it thoroughly.

D== Pulling and inspecting a few (and not just one of each) of the rod and main bearings to see how extensive the damage is to the bottom end, wrist pins, etc... because it will be be inframe city if there is.

E== Inspecting all of the face gears and replacing all of them that may have gotten pitted.

F== All of the injectors and several fuel system components will also need replacing, as they will have metal shavings in them too, especially if the pump plungers are damaged. So... Injectors, high pressure relief valve, and the fuel rail + all fuel system components needs to also be removed and replaced and/or flushed too.

G== All of the top-end has to come apart and be inspected to see if there is too much s=damage. Also all of the rocker assemblies and rocker arms, etc. need flushing out, as they have tiny passages thru them for leak oil.. and shavings will get stuck in them, starving the overhead cam or cross-heads of oil.

- It is VERY VERY COSTLY ... a whole lot of flushing and work has to be done to it ... and time consuming to get the engine back into a reliable state and to stop all of the progressive damage after the fuel pump fails. This especially if some moron kept driving more than a few hours ... or worse, a few days or more with a bad fuel pump!.

Someone telling you that the "screen" caught it, is simply bulls$it, plain and simple.

In your case, it sounds like a warranty claim for a replacement engine to me.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JimT , amermextrucker
07-10-2021, (Subject: Oil pressure ) 
(07-08-2021 )Cwmartinjr Wrote:  To the truck back to the shop and they found they had installed the idler pull to the fuel pump wrong and it broke the bolts and sent debri into the oil pan but they claim the screen got it all. Would this affect the oil pressure and if not what could be the cause?

I remember being warned about that exact scenario by either Rawze or Mr. Hagg when I did my inframe and replaced my fuel pump. Something about the procedure for installing those bolts you have to be very careful. (Or maybe it was installing the gear onto the fuel pump, not the idler gear?) Don't remember the full details off the top of my head. --- Either way, it sounds like the shop screwed up, admitted it and should be held liable, in my opinion. As for a screen catching the debris... what screen? All oil from the front gear box drains directly into the oil pan then gets sucked up by the oil pump. There is a perforated metal strainer on the oil pickup, but the holes in that are bigger than most oil passages in the engine and bearings so it's not gonna stop destructive debris from being circulated.

YES, debris from this event most definitely can clog up oil passages and cause major damage. The engine will most likely need to be taken back apart, thoroughly inspect all components for any damage and, if still viable, thoroughly flush all oil passages until all debris has been removed. Possibly needing another overhaul. If you're dealing with a shop footing the bill I would probably push for a complete replacement because I wouldn't trust anyone other than Mr. Hagg's shop to properly flush out that debris. I also wouldn't let them do the repair/replacement work, if possible.

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: amermextrucker
09-05-2021, (Subject: Oil pressure ) 
when you did inframe on the engine did you change the oil pump?
replyreply
09-05-2021, (Subject: Oil pressure ) 
(09-05-2021 )Alein2011 Wrote:  when you did inframe on the engine did you change the oil pump?

most people do this for good measure. I think he did as well.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.