Overheating
07-09-2021, (Subject: Overheating ) 
Overheating
Dear Rawz. I have a W900L ISX 475hp Cummins. New inframe on engine. New radiator, new charge cooler, new water pump, new thermostat, hoses and heat exchanger and a new 18 speed Eaton Fuller Transmission. My problem is the truck is overheating on heavy loads and long upgrades on hills. What am I overlooking that could be the source of the problem. Your wisdom and knowledge have been a great value to me in the past. Any ideas? The engine is a CM870.
replyreply
RE: Overheating
Is your fan cycling properly? Its not stuck off (disengaged) is it? Is it Turning on (engaging) at 210°? Did you pressurize the entire engine (exhaust and intake systems) up to 30 psi and fix any leaks? Have you replaced the engine air filter lately?

Is the engine demandated (deleeted)? If so by whom?
replyreply
Fan cycles properly. Engine has been properly pressurized. I’m wondering if a secondary transmission oil cooler might help? Just installed new 18 speed Eaton Fuller transmission all the systems are brand new. New radiator fan fan shroud hoses heat exchanger new inframe on engine. I’m stumped could it be that the transmission oil cooler is too small for this engine and possibly need a secondary oil cooler?
replyreply
(07-09-2021 )TruckerFamily2 Wrote:  Fan cycles properly. Engine has been properly pressurized. I’m wondering if a secondary transmission oil cooler might help? Just installed new 18 speed Eaton Fuller transmission all the systems are brand new. New radiator fan fan shroud hoses heat exchanger new inframe on engine. I’m stumped could it be that the transmission oil cooler is too small for this engine and possibly need a secondary oil cooler?

Is it air cooled or line cooled? I have an air cooled unit on my ProStar, and it is not much bigger than the heater core under the dash and it does fine. I've had the truck running out west and east coast, no issues. doubtful it is the transmission cooler, even if line fed. Why would you suspect the trans cooler, are the temps excessive on the transmission side?

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: TruckerFamily2
Did they replace the old oil cooler in the motor when they did the in frame? Most places will not unless you tell them too. If it is the factory original in there, I would say that is the first place I would look.

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply
* Possible bad delete programming?.

* Possible problem with enigne build?.

* Possibly some idiot installed the engine fan blades backwards?

* Possible bad thermostat?

* Possible slipped cam? .. or some idiot used the wrong set of wedges for the CPL? ref: http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...6#pid29926

* Anyone bother to a second overhead valve adjustment after a few days and do injector leak on it after the build? ref: http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...6#pid64706

What is your oil pressure doing?

What is boost pressure peaking at?

What is oil temps peaking at?

What is coolant temps peaking at?

What is EGT's peaking at?

- When you say overheating.. what exactly do you mean?.. tranny overheating?... engine overheating?... you were not too clear.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: TruckerFamily2

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.