05 cummins 04 build date advise
07-11-2021, (Subject: 05 cummins 04 build date advise ) 
RE: 05 cummins 04 build date advise
(07-11-2021 )Robkiller Wrote:  ...
Anything else to check before i drive it home?

yeah... every single thing on this list (adapt it to fit a Volvo) ...
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...0#pid26680

be thorough .. be vigilant, and replace everything you find along the way.

KEEP a hard.copy filled out for the D.O.T. (as a just-in-case), insurance purposes, accident purposes, etc.. and for your own records... Yeah, its an RV.. and for personal use .. but that does not mean you need to be slack about ensuring your.. and others safety around you on the roadways. - Fill one out every year (or more if it is driven a lot).

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
07-11-2021, (Subject: 05 cummins 04 build date advise ) 
(07-10-2021 )Squish099 Wrote:  How many hrs? Maybe it doesn't have miles but it idled it's life away.. Pull valve cover and check cams for pitting. There's literally 100s of things that need to be gone over.

Waiting for hours. Good question. What would you go over if you had a good day before the trip home? Then what would you check after you make it home and have time to inspect or modify to insure a long life.
replyreply
07-22-2021, (Subject: 05 cummins 04 build date advise ) 
So update.

I did get the truck. I drove it home. I went from TN to CO 1300 miles.
First 800 miles all cruise control set entire trip at 68 MPH i got 11.7MPG according to the computer. But the last part i let it idle at my stop and hit a crap load of head wind. My final was 10.6 MPG unloaded just the truck and bed. 05 VNL 670 auto cummins. I am not sure how accurate the computer is or how good that is but it felt good. RPM at 68 is about 1400/1450
replyreply
(07-22-2021 )Robkiller Wrote:  So update.

I did get the truck. I drove it home. I went from TN to CO 1300 miles.
First 800 miles all cruise control set entire trip at 68 MPH i got 11.7MPG according to the computer. But the last part i let it idle at my stop and hit a crap load of head wind. My final was 10.6 MPG unloaded just the truck and bed. 05 VNL 670 auto cummins. I am not sure how accurate the computer is or how good that is but it felt good. RPM at 68 is about 1400/1450

that is completely useless information.

* What did the overhead cams look like?

* How soot-packed was the oil?

* Is is "deleted"?

those are the things you should be looking at.

- Now you need to spend about $3000 - $6000 to get it ready to haul freight again reliably ... service everything nose to toes ... otherwise its your own towing bill and unnecessary down time you will be paying for.

Also... sounds like its geared too tall to me.. what is the rear end / gear ratio?

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
sounds like my truck, top gear at 68 mph is roughly 1400-1450 rpm. 3.36 or 3.42 rears, i keep mixing them up.

I almost never go higher then 12th (direct) on mine. 1550 rpm = 62 mph, 1600 = 64, 1650 = 66 and 1700 = 68. Drop down another gear and 1700 = 58 mph, but the fuel mileage isn't quite as good in that gear. Only time I drop below 1500 is when I'm decelerating or going through the lower gears.

Of course this is an allison auto so you really can't control which gear you're in. So with those rear ends you'll constantly be torturing the engine, lugging it with low rpm torque. Yeah it's how they are being spec'd and built these days and even cummins instructs people to drive this way, but that doesn't mean it's good for the life of the engine. Save a few bucks on fuel but spend a lot more rebuilding or buying new engines.

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply
07-30-2021, (Subject: 05 cummins 04 build date advise ) 
So it still has EGR system. Top end looks bran new no sign of wear at all. No buildup of any kind. Not one deposit found. Not one pit or visible wear can be seen or felt. Very impressed.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.