Exhaust manifold broken bolts
07-19-2021, (Subject: Exhaust manifold broken bolts ) 
RE: Exhaust manifold broken bolts
Yup, your on the right thought process now. Are you back from your shopping excursion yet to start tearing in to this beast? Keep is posted on how this goes.

Remember you need LEFT HANDED drill bits. You want it to turn the way the broken bolt will come out.
replyreply
07-19-2021, (Subject: Exhaust manifold broken bolts ) 
It's really not that bad of a job. Getting the turbo off without killing yourself takes a little ingenuity. In one of Rawze's videos he uses a folding step ladder as a fulcrum and a 2x4 as the lever to crane the turbo off of the manifold.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
07-20-2021, (Subject: Exhaust manifold broken bolts ) 
I can pull the turbo on my 871 in about an hour including dropping the coolant. I got very good at it when my oil filter header plate got a pinhole in it and I was replacing gaskets trying to find it. I pulled it 6 times over 3 days lol. It was elusive as is was behind the turbo but would only spray coolant up onto the bottom of the egr cooler once the truck was up to temp and pressurized.

So I'd say 4 hours to drop the turbo pull the manifold and reassemble. Add a couple hours for extracting bolts, replacing o-rings, cleaning things up and torquing to spec
replyreply
(07-19-2021 )tree98 Wrote:  It's really not that bad of a job. Getting the turbo off without killing yourself takes a little ingenuity. In one of Rawze's videos he uses a folding step ladder as a fulcrum and a 2x4 as the lever to crane the turbo off of the manifold.

I show the ladder trick at 58:27in this video...

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
After analyzing the situation, I estimated it would take about 6-7 hours with extracting the bolts. This seems very much in line with what you’re saying. But I also give myself another hour or 2 for first time attempt and the hiccups that go with it. But a professional shop, I guessed should take them no more than 5 hours tops for R&R and another hour or 2 for bolt extraction. Not a full double of 10-14 hours and they’ll see how it goes on bolt extraction.
replyreply
You'll want to retorque those bolts after a couple days of running. Mine loosened up quite a bit but we're fine after the retorque.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
(07-20-2021 )tree98 Wrote:  You'll want to retorque those bolts after a couple days of running. Mine loosened up quite a bit but we're fine after the retorque.

One mistake i see a lot of mechanics make when re-mounting the turbo itself is that they will improperly torque the turbo mounting studs. Quickserv can be a bit mis-leading on what the proper torque values are. Here is the correct torque. They have changed the torque specs a few times in the procedures... here are the numbers that I use with best success ...

* For the newer VGT451 series turbo's on the CM2250, CM2350, the torque should be 48-ft/lbs. (shoud also be re-torqued after a few days run time due to its low value).

* For the older VGT500 series turbo's on the CM870, CM871, the torque should be 75-ft/lbs.

Seen a lot of 500 series turbo's that were only torqued to 45-ft.lbs and the turbo mounting gasket squealing like all h#ell after a while.

== and YES.... using a light coating / paint of hi-temp anti-sieze in ALL exhaust gaskets helps a lot with leak prevention. Reeming out the manifold mounting holes like the TSB mentioned above shows ... ensuring the manifold itself is flat and not warped, ensuring expansion jopints are not seized up, and Also using anti-sieze on the shanks of all the exhaust bolts where they are sleeved helps prevent them from snapping too.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JimT
07-29-2021, (Subject: Exhaust manifold broken bolts ) 
Job complete. Didn’t even remove the turbo or manifold itself.

My holes were already reamed. I found a guide that fit the hole. Put the left handed drill bit in there and drilled away. Removed the bit and guide and put a bolt extractor in there and it backed right out. With the guide inside of the hole of the manifold, it drilled dead center. 4 hours later, everything was put all back together.

When I replaced the gaskets, I left the top bolt just to the right of the 4 center bolts. This was to hold the weight. I was then able to work the old center gasket out and replace with the new. Then, I put the 2 top center bolts in place and changed the other 4 gaskets.
replyreply
07-29-2021, (Subject: Exhaust manifold broken bolts ) 
Now a question of confirmation. 44 ft/lbs of torque on those new bolts, right. Can’t remember where I found the info to be certain.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.