2350 running to hot
07-20-2021, (Subject: 2350 running to hot ) 
2350 running to hot
I am gonna give a basic of what’s been done so everyone realizes it’s not the usual things. January got 6 new holes but reused the head. (Cummins warranty) new thermostat a year ago. Flushed radiator inside and out very well. All new antifreeze. Clutch fan rebuilt recently. I don’t know if the oil thermostat was replaced or not. Oil cooler has been replaced but not sure how long ago. Truck runs normal temps except non long pulls. Water 200-210 all day oil 235 all day. On a hard long pull the water will go to 235 and oil 250 and then I have to back out of it and this is with the fan on Manuel. If I don’t back out of it they will keep climbing. Not sure what to do next other than pull thermostat make sure it’s opening all the way then only thing left would be oil cooler and oil thermostat. What’s everyone’s thoughts. I have done all the normal things to resolve this issue. I have noticed it’s been a little sluggish lately and my manifold pressure has only been around 32 and it’s usually 34. I don’t believe this would be a cause of my issue only because all this technology on these emissions engines I would think it would cut the fuel back if it wasn’t getting enough air. I know the old engines with a small air to air leak the temps would climb but these new turbos I would think would compensate for a small leak. Open to all ideas. Thanks in advance.
replyreply
RE: 2350 running to hot
History of the truck?
Year?
Model?
Mileage?
Demandated?
Egr Tuneup?
Reusing the head is usually a very bad idea unless availability was an issue?
Was the block cut and liners raised?
Have you replaced your coolant overflow tank, my truck did something similar but not that high with the coolant temperature until I put a new tank in it..
Not really much to go by unless we know more about the truck..
replyreply
Oil temp that high can indicate friction somewhere. Possibly a spun bearing in the head you reused.

What engine are we talking about here and how many miles on it? I'm assuming it's not demandated since you said Cummins "fixed" it on a warranty claim.

What happened to it that you had to replace liners and pistons? Did they also replace rods,mains, etc.?

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
-- Normal operating temp of the coolant is 185, regulated by the thermostat for most circumstances .. and a bit higher if your climbing a hill.

-- Normal oil temp is in the 218F-225F range ... 230F-235F if your climbing a mountian and torturing it. -- Anything much above 230~ish its considered TOO HIGH, even if someone is heavy-hauling ... and 240 or 250, there is downright something wrong!

Did it fail the a fuel pump, and it still has all the shrapnel in the block clogging everything up due to the typical half-arssed so called OEM "warranty" repairs.

I would not trust a stealers%it to hold a screwdriver while my worst enemy rebuilt it nonetheless let one install new pistons and liners, etc. -- Those OEM Stealers$hits are the worst of the worst and that "warranty" is not worth the paper its written on due to that very reason.

Much of what is said however points more directly towards a typical bad delete more that anything else.

Like others said ... a lot more info and history on the engine and truck is needed.

Is the engine in a truck? what make/model truck? -- or is this one of those stupid RV's that have been built like a total s$hit-box around the engine with no proper engine cooling or air flow?

Also what are the oil pressures? .. how often is oil changed? and like marek pointed out ...
History of the truck?
Year?
Model?
Mileage?
is it Demandated (del-eted)?
Egr Tuneup?

when did the problem start?, etc.etc.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , Mudflap77
08-15-2021, (Subject: 2350 running to hot ) 
My 2350 heats up pretty quick on any kind of pull, either getting up to speed or pulling a hill. The fan has no trouble keeping it cool and it's not over heating. But the temp climbs to 210 pretty quick the fan pulls it down to 200 shuts off and climbs right back up to 210 again in no time. Oil temp will get up to 235 if pulling up a longer grade. I've been blaming it on the hot weather. Is it common for a ISX operating temperature to climb quickly?
Isx 485 in a 579 Pete not modified about 720 000mi, I've put about 65 000mi on it. I realize the modern engines put a lot more demand on cooling system just seem like it might be abnormal.
replyreply
(08-15-2021 )Mudflap77 Wrote:  My 2350 heats up pretty quick on any kind of pull, either getting up to speed or pulling a hill. The fan has no trouble keeping it cool and it's not over heating. But the temp climbs to 210 pretty quick the fan pulls it down to 200 shuts off and climbs right back up to 210 again in no time. Oil temp will get up to 235 if pulling up a longer grade. I've been blaming it on the hot weather. Is it common for a ISX operating temperature to climb quickly?
Isx 485 in a 579 Pete not modified about 720 000mi, I've put about 65 000mi on it. I realize the modern engines put a lot more demand on cooling system just seem like it might be abnormal.

Maybe its time for the A/C and CAC units to be moved aside .. them and the radiator elements all cleaned out / acid (radiator coil cleaner) washed??

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Mudflap77 , Toolguy
(08-15-2021 )Rawze Wrote:  
(08-15-2021 )Mudflap77 Wrote:  My 2350 heats up pretty quick on any kind of pull, either getting up to speed or pulling a hill. The fan has no trouble keeping it cool and it's not over heating. But the temp climbs to 210 pretty quick the fan pulls it down to 200 shuts off and climbs right back up to 210 again in no time. Oil temp will get up to 235 if pulling up a longer grade. I've been blaming it on the hot weather. Is it common for a ISX operating temperature to climb quickly?

Maybe its time for the A/C and CAC units to be moved aside .. them and the radiator elements all cleaned out / acid (radiator coil cleaner) washed??
I did blow everything out air pretty good. I got a fair bit of debris out of it. More then I expected. The rad and cac is fairly new about 1.5 years old.
Thanks for the response Rawze.
replyreply
08-19-2021, (Subject: 2350 running to hot ) 
I am having the exact same issue I also have about 735,000 mi in a demandated ISX 450. I had my mechanic blow out all the coils for the AC condenser cac and radiator did not help the issue. It just seems like my coolant is always running about 10°, warmer than it should oil temperature never gets above 235°. The demandate was done by Mr hagg about 250,000 miles ago.
replyreply
08-19-2021, (Subject: 2350 running to hot ) 
(08-19-2021 )Philroy Wrote:  I am having the exact same issue I also have about 735,000 mi in a demandated ISX 450. I had my mechanic blow out all the coils for the AC condenser cac and radiator did not help the issue. It just seems like my coolant is always running about 10°, warmer than it should oil temperature never gets above 235°. The demandate was done by Mr hagg about 250,000 miles ago.

If I have not mentioned it yet in this thread ...

A bad de-mandate program will make one run hotter than normal oil and coolant temps. MOST bad delete programs can cause this by the engine operating in the wrong engine modes, excess internal cylinder wall friction caused by improper fuel-air-mix, and badly adjusted injection timing. -- Who did the demandate / programming?... and how long ago?

It can also happen on factory (non deleted) engines if some moron tried to put a bigger HP program in the engine and it does not match the CPL/truck settings. <- I see this mistake a lot too.

If mr. hag did the programming then that should not be the issue unless it is running with the wrong cpl program.

Someone can always copy the program out of the ECM and e-mail it to me for a review if it is in question.

replyreply
 Thanks given by: Toolguy

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.